OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): 2017 Season Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
My point was they weren't elite pitchers.
Eickhoff was a 3 WAR pitcher last year.
Leiter has pitched decently so far.
BR WAR -
2008:
Hamels 4.4, Moyer 2.8, Myers 0.7, Happ 0.5, Blanton 0.5, Eaton -1.0, Kendrick -1.6
2009:
Happ 4.2, Blanton 2.6, Hamels 1.9, Lee 1.1, Myers 0.5, Moyers 0.3, Park/Bastardo/Lopez (17s) -0.8
2017:
Nola 3.1, Hellickson 1.1, Eickhoff 0.9, Leiter 0.6, Lively 0.5, Velasquez 0.4, Pivetta -0.7, Eflin/Thompson/Buchholtz (16s) -1.0

With Nola as the anchor, they just need to find four dependable starters, they don't have to be great pitchers if they have a deep bullpen. People assume b/c a young pitcher struggles his first time in the majors, that's all there is - but most pitchers struggle for a year or two. You have to let them take their lumps, go back to AAA, work on their stuff, and try again.

It's just as important to have back of the rotation starters and solid middle relievers, because if you don't, you'll be starting below replacement level pitchers for 40-50 games and giving a 100 innings to below replacement level RPs.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
not sure I get the move, but phillies claim Juan Nicasio unless they think they can re-sign him.

As for the rest of the pen, Luis Garcia seems to have turned things around, he was flat out dominate in AAA but stunk in the majors, hopefully he's figured things out. Adam Morgan seems to be doing well enough. Not sure what to make of Hoby Milner who has been good at every level so far. Leiter has been better then I thought. Edubray Ramos is someone I have had high hopes for but he's had his ups and downs this year. I'm glad they are getting a look at Yacksel Rios as he's had a really good year and they need to make a decision on him.

I wonder if they look at making a change to the pitching coaches at the major and AAA level. Thompson has turned to ****, Appel struggled but we'll see what they do with him as he's finally rehabbing. VV and Eickhoff have had their struggles. Eflin, Lively, Pivetta, you have to wonder what happens with them. Pivetta has shown impressive flashes so if he doesn't figure it out maybe he's in the pen ala Pinto.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
How did Adam Morgan go from being a placement pitcher to throwing 97 mph cannons?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Morgan had shoulder surgery, came back throwing 88-89 as a starter, then 91-93 this year. Got moved to the bullpen because his straight FB was getting pounded, like many pitchers, had a velocity uptick, but in his case, it kept on ticking up, 93-95, now 96-98. But even better, he's developing a nasty two seamer. He also has focused on his slider, which has gotten better, and flashes a changeup to keep hitters honest.

Nicasio is another pitcher whose stuff plays better out of the pen.

Pinto is currently making that conversion. Doesn't work with every pitcher they have to adjust their mechanics and their mentality, and if a guy doesn't get a velocity uptick, they may not be able to succeed.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He stopped giving up HRs.

He's terrible against Righties and great against Lefties. If they can manage his situations he can be useful.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
If the Pigs win today, they make the playoffs, would be nice to keep JP going down there, as much as I'd like to see him in Philly, I'd rather just have him play out AAA

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Herrera and Altherr activated.

We could see a very good lineup soon. I'm excited.

Cesar
Herrera
Altherr
Hoskins
Williams
Franco
Galvis
Alfaro

I think I can watch this the rest of the season

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Didn't get to watch, but that seemed fun.

Can't wait till Altherr displaces Kim in the OF and then Rhys displaces Joseph.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Didn't get to watch, but that seemed fun.

Can't wait till Altherr displaces Kim in the OF and then Rhys displaces Joseph.

I think Joseph may have just a few starts left this season. They moved Hoskins to 1B yesterday, and that was with Kim playing LF, rather than Altherr. Now that Herrera and Altherr are back, the lineup every day should be something along the lines of:

1. Hernandez (2B)
2. Herrera (CF)
3. Altherr (LF)
4. Hoskins (1B)
5. Williams (RF)
6. Alfaro (C)
7. Crawford (3B)
8. Galvis (SS)
9. Pitcher (P)

For the record, I actually think that they'll have the catcher in the 8 slot virtually every night, switched with Galvis, even though Alfaro should be batting 6.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think Joseph may have just a few starts left this season. They moved Hoskins to 1B yesterday, and that was with Kim playing LF, rather than Altherr. Now that Herrera and Altherr are back, the lineup every day should be something along the lines of:

1. Hernandez (2B)
2. Herrera (CF)
3. Altherr (LF)
4. Hoskins (1B)
5. Williams (RF)
6. Alfaro (C)
7. Crawford (3B)
8. Galvis (SS)
9. Pitcher (P)

For the record, I actually think that they'll have the catcher in the 8 slot virtually every night, switched with Galvis, even though Alfaro should be batting 6.

Do we think Crawford is going to be a 7-hole hitter or is he going to be moved up to closer to the top at some point (regardless of where he's playing on the diamond). Frankly if Galvis is here I'd rather see Crawford at 2B than 3B, regardless of where Franco is. I am not a fan of Galvis so hopefully he's gone next year and Crawford can just play SS.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Crawford should be a 2 hole hitter. Which all that does is push Altherr behind Hoskins or Williams and strengthens the lineup. Hoskins should still get meaty pitches to crush. And if they don't, he'll walk, eventually putting Wiliams/Altherr in good spots.

I mean there is a good shot that

Hernandez
Crawford
Herrera
Hoskins

will be the top 4 and all of those guys walk, A LOT.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't disagree that Crawford projects as a #2 hitter (if he continues to stay on track) but I don't see him playing up there this season. As far as Franco goes, it's hard to say, but he's looking like the odd man out, especially next season. Unless Hernandez is dealt, you've got Kingery, Hernandez, and Crawford that are all natural middle infielders. Galvis is the likely utility guy there and Franco is on the outside looking in. Wouldn't be surprised to see him sent back down to AAA.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Franco is the odd man out because he has an elite replacement set to hit FA in a little over a season.

Just seems to work out that way.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
They will have a good lineup next year. Nola has shown he can be a TORP and I like Eickhoff, but their other starters need to be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad