OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): 2013 Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Draft is today. Slim pickings in this draft. Some good college bats but all will be gone within in the first 5 picks. Hoping we get Kohl Stewart however. HS pitcher that projects well.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Draft is today. Slim pickings in this draft. Some good college bats but all will be gone within in the first 5 picks. Hoping we get Kohl Stewart however. HS pitcher that projects well.

They'll be looking for a bat. Obviously they should be going BPA but I'm not too sure they will.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
They'll be looking for a bat. Obviously they should be going BPA but I'm not too sure they will.

Not many HS bats that project well in the first round.

I think id go with Austin WIlson. He might be able to step in next year and play in our of.

However he is a Corner outfielder only, a standord bat, and is coming off an injury.

Still he was a top 5 pick going into the draft this year.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

I think id go with Austin WIlson. He might be able to step in next year and play in our of.

However he is a Corner outfielder only, a standord bat, and is coming off an injury.

Wasn't really familiar with him but doing some Googleing, It seems he's got some good tools. He won't hit for average but he's a right handed power bat (which the Phils could use) with a good arm. Unless there's someone you can't pass up available I think I'd take a chance on him.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Wasn't really familiar with him but doing some Googleing, It seems he's got some good tools. He won't hit for average but he's a right handed power bat (which the Phils could use) with a good arm. Unless there's someone you can't pass up available I think I'd take a chance on him.

The phils have a lot of project able prospects that are young in the system. TIme to get some guys who can help the team in a year or 2

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Since we were talking about the draft I though I would share this from a mock draft on sbnation.com:

16) Phillies: Ian Clarkin, LHP, California HS: The Phillies like left-handed prep pitchers.
link: http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/6/6/4401732/mlb-draft-2013-mock-draft-jonathan-gray-mark-appel?utm_source=sbnation&utm_medium=nextclicks&utm_campaign=articlebottom

Here's a scouting report on him from philly.com if anyone is interested:
Ian Clarkin, a high school left-hander who is committed to the University of San Diego, has the size and stuff that big league teams like to see. Clarkin has a slightly-unorthodox delivery that features a high leg kick and uses up quite a bit of effort, which works both in his favor and to his detriment.

Clarkin hides the ball well but can be erratic with his fastball command at times because of the difficulty of repeating his delivery. He has been able to offset some of the consistency issues with a plus curveball.

When his command is on, Clarkin's fastball is above-average, ranging from 90 to 93 miles per hour with good movement. Clarkin also throws a changeup, but it has been described by scouts as not much more than average at this point.

Matt Garrioch, Minor League Ball: "The best I saw [Clarkin] was with a 94 MPH fastball and a potential plus-plus breaking ball at 72-75 MPH. It looked unhittable and unfair at times."

Keith Law, ESPN: "Clarkin doesn't do it easy, but he's a good-sized lefty who throws hard and can spin a breaking ball, so even with some serious inconsistency this spring, he's likely to go off the board in the top 50 picks, maybe even late in the first round."

Jonathan Mayo, MLB.com: "[Clarkin's] results over the summer were a bit mixed, throwing well at the Area Code Games, but struggling with fastball command elsewhere ... The raw stuff from the left side should keep many first-round teams interested on Draft day."
Link: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sbnation/SBNation_20130603_MLB_Draft_2013_scouting_report_round-up__LHP_Ian_Clarkin.html

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
From ESPN: http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/stor...o-1-houston-astros-final-mock-draft-mlb-draft

33ayl2b.png

Wilson was a potential first-rounder out of high school who was considered unsignable due to his strong commitment to Stanford and a senior year that didn't quite match expectations. He's blossomed physically and has big-time raw power, but his season has been held back by a bone bruise and stress reaction above his elbow that kept him off the field for almost six weeks and continued to hinder him even after he returned -- which could make him a steal for a team picking lower in the first round.

Wilson's best attribute is his easy power -- even when he doesn't square a ball up, he still drives it far further than you'd expect. He drifts over his front side too early (partly a function of Stanford's peculiar ideas on hitting) and sets his hands up high enough that his swing gets long, but his hand strength is among the best in the draft. There's some work to do with his swing, getting him set sooner so his timing isn't off, but nothing that can't be remedied in his first few weeks in pro ball.

In the field, Wilson's played center this year but profiles in right where he'd be above-average with a plus arm. Get him healthy, which he hasn't been in over a year due to an oblique strain last summer in the Cape Cod League, and you could have an impact bat with the aptitude to move quickly through the low minors.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

He's not playing in the bigs next year.

I would be shocked if they go with a college guy. They haven't picked a college guy with their 1st rounder since Savery in 2007 and before that it was Utley back in 2000. They love high school guys with raw tools. However Renfroe, Judge, Wilson, and Ervin aren't your typical college bats. Each has some raw tool(s) to work with.

Personally I'm hoping Domonic Smith makes it to our pick. Whoever they pick though, they will immediately be up there with Biddle as our #1 prospect.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Personally I'm hoping Domonic Smith makes it to our pick. Whoever they pick though, they will immediately be up there with Biddle as our #1 prospect.

I liked Domonic Smith too, but the Mets just snagged him.

Reese McGuire is sliding some, so I'm hoping he can make it to us. Great defense player and a very good hitter for his age. As strong a combionation of tools as we could hope for at 16.

Edit: there goes McGuire. With Meadows and McGuire, the Pirates have really maximized their two early picks.... if they can sign them.

Last edited:

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Phillies select JP Crawford - SS

Lakewood (CA) High School

Left-handed hitter. Good friends with Shane Watson (Phillies draft pick last season). An excellent defensive player as well. Best SS in the draft. Not a great runner and his bat is a projection only at this point. Some power, but it's a matter of whether he turns into a hitter.

I kind of wish we would have looked at a more skilled hitter, but it's a projection, so yeah... we'll see.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Smith, Peterson, Renfroe, and McGuire (the hitters) all went just before their pick. Hard to go wrong with a SS- especially one that is already a good fielder. He plays a premium position, therefore there is less pressure on the bat. It's too bad the Phillies have a poor track record at developing HS hitters though.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Smith, Peterson, Renfroe, and McGuire (the hitters) all went just before their pick. Hard to go wrong with a SS- especially one that is already a good fielder. He plays a premium position, therefore there is less pressure on the bat. It's too bad the Phillies have a poor track record at developing HS hitters though.

The draft was definitely a tease with the guys that went 11-15. Even Braden Shipley was a borderline top 5 guy who went 15 right before we selected. Made me sad.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The draft was definitely a tease with the guys that went 11-15. Even Braden Shipley was a borderline top 5 guy who went 15 right before we selected. Made me sad.

I'm not a big fan of college arms so missing out on Shipley, Stanek (still on the board), etc. didn't bother me. I just think their upside is lower and there is more injury risk due to the college workloads.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I'm not a big fan of college arms so missing out on Shipley, Stanek (still on the board), etc. didn't bother me. I just think their upside is lower and there is more injury risk due to the college workloads.

I understand that, but my belief is that they are infinitely more projectable players given age and physical development and, in most first round cases, played against significantly better competition than the high school kids.

Basically, the high school guys have higher upside, but infinitely lower floor. I never say "OMG, we need a college bat or a high school arm". It's about the player to me. The Orioles have done well in that regards... Bundy the HS pitcher, Gausmann the college arm... both panned out big time through 2 very different roads.

Shipley has two plus pitches right now.... compares pretty well with Michael Wacha, who is now breaking in with the Cardinals.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I understand that, but my belief is that they are infinitely more projectable players given age and physical development and, in most first round cases, played against significantly better competition than the high school kids.

Basically, the high school guys have higher upside, but infinitely lower floor. I never say "OMG, we need a college bat or a high school arm". It's about the player to me. The Orioles have done well in that regards... Bundy the HS pitcher, Gausmann the college arm... both panned out big time through 2 very different roads.

Shipley has two plus pitches right now.... compares pretty well with Michael Wacha, who is now breaking in with the Cardinals.

Bundy and Gausman look like good ones but you can't say they panned out until they make an impact at the big league level.

Shipley has one plus pitch now (the fastball) with two potential above average offerings. Wacha was/is much more polished (Shipley just started pitching full-time last year). Wacha had/has outstanding control and command mixed with two plus pitches in his fastball and nasty changeup. I don't see the comparison really. Shipley has more upside than your typical college pitcher, but also a lower floor.

It's a moot point as Shipley went #15, but the Phillies love HS guys. I think he was their pick either way. They got the best SS (arguably the hardest profile to find these days) in the draft. Can't complain about that. Now whether they can develop him into a special player is another story.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Phillies select JP Crawford - SS

Lakewood (CA) High School

Left-handed hitter. Good friends with Shane Watson (Phillies draft pick last season). An excellent defensive player as well. Best SS in the draft. Not a great runner and his bat is a projection only at this point. Some power, but it's a matter of whether he turns into a hitter.

I kind of wish we would have looked at a more skilled hitter, but it's a projection, so yeah... we'll see.

How can you not be a great runner when you have the same genes as Carl Crawford? Who got the short end of that stick?

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Never could get much into the draft. It takes so long for kids to actually start showing signs and you never know what will happen unless you're selecting Harper or Strasburg types. Nice of them to take a bat though.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
How can you not be a great runner when you have the same genes as Carl Crawford? Who got the short end of that stick?

I should clarify. The speed is average or perhaps slightly above average based on scouting. Just not the strength you would typically associate with his build.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad