OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): 2013 Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
MLB draft is the biggest crapshoot of them all. I rarely pay any attention to it because most of these guys are so far from being MLB ready that it is crazy to worry about whether the pick is a good one or not. Unless you're talking about a John Olerud or a Stephen Strasburg, the picks really are all too far out to worry about.

Someone did a thing with NHL draft picks and their likelihood of success, I'd like to see MLB odds. That would be pretty interesting. I feel like so many good players are later round picks or undrafted guys.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
MLB draft is the biggest crapshoot of them all. I rarely pay any attention to it because most of these guys are so far from being MLB ready that it is crazy to worry about whether the pick is a good one or not. Unless you're talking about a John Olerud or a Stephen Strasburg, the picks really are all too far out to worry about.

Someone did a thing with NHL draft picks and their likelihood of success, I'd like to see MLB odds. That would be pretty interesting. I feel like so many good players are later round picks or undrafted guys.

I know what you mean, Brown has been doing pretty damn good this yr and he was a 20th round selection. He is just one of many examples obviously.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Brown was selected so low because he was supposed to go into football and no one thought he would sign. Still pretty crazy to see that, though. But yeah, the MLB draft is lame. You might see those guys in five years on a major league team. There's like four different levels they've got to get through. It's insane when you think about it.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Charlie again with his brilliant managing decisions (Why would you leave Horst out to face Braun and Ramirez?) and the offseason acquisitions doing the rest with their pure awfulness. I don't care if D Young had two hits tonight, he's garbage and he proves it by swinging at the first pitch he sees to kill them with another DP. M Young has gone from decent to garbage with his non existant power and his terrible defense. Repeat that for Ben Revere.

If not for Brown, there would be no reason to watch this team at all.

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
Charlie again with his brilliant managing decisions (Why would you leave Horst out to face Braun and Ramirez?)

Matt Gelb answers your question:
https://twitter.com/magelb/status/343215873592528896
Phillies were without Adams, Bastardo and De Fratus. Papelbon only if a save.

https://twitter.com/magelb/status/343217520351797248
Charlie on Horst in the 9th: "When I looked at it, I figured Horst might have a hard time."

He knew Horst would struggle vs righties, but his bp is a MASH unit apparently. And god forbid he uses his closer in a tie game on the road. So Chuck's thought process is "We've got a good shot to lose this game if I leave Horst in, but I gotta go by the book and not use my best reliever."

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Matt Gelb answers your question:
https://twitter.com/magelb/status/343215873592528896

https://twitter.com/magelb/status/343217520351797248

He knew Horst would struggle vs righties, but his bp is a MASH unit apparently. And god forbid he uses his closer in a tie game on the road. So Chuck's thought process is "We've got a good shot to lose this game if I leave Horst in, but I gotta go by the book and not use my best reliever."

Technically, I don't think DeFratus was even unavailable.

JSalisburyCSN Manuel said he was trying to stay away from DeFratus Bullpen was short

He was 'trying to stay away from him'. Why? The guy didn't even play for us the first month of the season. What the hell are you doing? If you knew Horst was going to fail then why did you leave him in? You just conceded the game!

And Adams is hurt again. So glad we wasted all our money on a set up man that can't even pitch! We could've used that money to get an actual hitter. But no, let's waste it on a 34 year old reliever who had to get offseason surgery!

tumblr_m26nvnNG5o1qkk10ro1_500.jpg

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
DeFratus was unavailable because he pitched 2 days in a row coming into this game. Nevermind the fact that he only threw 19 pitches total in these two appearances and is only 25 years old so his arm isn't really logged with mileage.

The book Chuck goes by. Huzzah!

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I still don't even understand why he took Stutes out. I understand match ups and all that but you are putting in Horst, the guy with a 5 ERA. Anyway that f***in sucked bad (just having no confidence in Horst and that the game was already over).

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
I still don't even understand why he took Stutes out. I understand match ups and all that but you are putting in Horst, the guy with a 5 ERA. Anyway that f***in sucked bad (just having no confidence in Horst and that the game was already over).

The biggest problem with that is he claims everyone in the bullpen is unavailable, but then he takes out Stutes after 2/3rds of an inning. So was Horst, the worst guy in the bullpen, going to pitch until we got a lead so you could then bring in Papelbon? And if you were that bad with bullpen help, then you should've called someone up. You can't just go into a game and expect your starter to go the distance. It's just dumb. They are so damn stupid.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
The biggest problem with that is he claims everyone in the bullpen is unavailable, but then he takes out Stutes after 2/3rds of an inning. So was Horst, the worst guy in the bullpen, going to pitch until we got a lead so you could then bring in Papelbon? And if you were that bad with bullpen help, then you should've called someone up. You can't just go into a game and expect your starter to go the distance. It's just dumb. They are so damn stupid.

This. How can you go into a game with a 3 man bullpen? And, it goes without saying because it's so obvious, but to not use your best reliever against Segura, Braun and Ramirez just because it's not a "save" situation is the dumbest thing ever.

skoods

May 10, 2010
Boston, MA
He was 'trying to stay away from him'. Why? The guy didn't even play for us the first month of the season. What the hell are you doing? If you knew Horst was going to fail then why did you leave him in? You just conceded the game!

And Adams is hurt again. So glad we wasted all our money on a set up man that can't even pitch! We could've used that money to get an actual hitter. But no, let's waste it on a 34 year old reliever who had to get offseason surgery!

Lol, just because DeFratus wasn't pitching with the Phillies doesn't mean he wasn't pitching with anyone. He was with Lehigh Valley.

And yeah, because the $6 million they gave to Adams would have really locked in a dynamite offensive talent. Freaking .170 BJ Upton got almost $20 million a year.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Lol, just because DeFratus wasn't pitching with the Phillies doesn't mean he wasn't pitching with anyone. He was with Lehigh Valley.

And yeah, because the $6 million they gave to Adams would have really locked in a dynamite offensive talent. Freaking .170 BJ Upton got almost $20 million a year.

1. You can't be holding your relievers back at the cost of the game. It's 2 months into the season. He made 4 pitches the night before. They need wins. You cannot be worried about this type of stuff if they want to make a run. He conceded the game by letting Horst stay in.

2. "We talked about Cody Ross internally," Amaro said. "We talked about Jerry Hairston, and we talked about [Nick] Swisher. But in our minds we felt if we signed those guys we wouldn't have been able to sign Adams."

I'm not saying it would've been some dynamite talent, but it certainly would've been better than the likes of Ben Revere and Delmon Young.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Phillies lineup tonight: 1. Michael Young (5) 2. Kevin Frandsen (3) 3. Jimmy Rollins (6) 4. Delmon Young (9) 5. Domonic Brown (7) 6. John Mayberry Jr. (8) 7. Erik Kratz (2) 8. Cesar Hernandez (4) 9. Kyle Kendrick (1)

louis-ck+facepalm.gif

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Phillies lineup tonight: 1. Michael Young (5) 2. Kevin Frandsen (3) 3. Jimmy Rollins (6) 4. Delmon Young (9) 5. Domonic Brown (7) 6. John Mayberry Jr. (8) 7. Erik Kratz (2) 8. Cesar Hernandez (4) 9. Kyle Kendrick (1)

louis-ck+facepalm.gif

But they've got to give him a chance man. Even though he's got 3500 career PA, he still hasn't had a chance. :sarcasm:

The sad part is, his OPS is above his career average right now, so what we've seen from him is probably a best-case scenario.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
So glad D Young is in the cleanup spot to go 0-4. You know, instead of Brown who is the NL leader in homers. Makes sense to me!

Edit: And Brown hits a double for 2 runs. Has all 3 RBIs tonight. But D Young is obviously better. I'm just an idiot fan.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
So anyone think Brown gets first All-Star appearance this yr? He's now batting .293 so I really don't see why he wouldn't.

There are other guys you could argue for ahead of him by virtue of getting on base more and being better at defense, and some guys who are close have bigger names. But I think he will get in if things hold where they are. He is leading the league in HRs after all.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Pence is having a pretty damn good yr so far which kinda hurts considering the Phillie's need for a right handed power bat. I mean Schierholtz is gone, Rosin is 24 yo and still at AA with a 4.36 ERA so I highly doubt he amounts to much if anything at the MLB level and I have my doubts about Joseph (he has tools but he can't seem to find his stroke but he's still young enough that he can turn things around).

Anyway, back to Brown. He's 9th amongst NL outfielders in AVG, Second in SLG and OPS, First in HR and RBIs. He's also well above middle of the pack in both runs scored and OBP. If his OBP were were a little higher he'd be a shoe-in IMO but I still think he should be there (as long as he can maintain those numbers). I may be a little biased :laugh: but honestly there aren't many better OF in the NL right now.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Homeruns are still the end all, be all for people. It's why Howard would have terrible averages and still be tops in MVP voting for years. HR and RBIs. Plus you think they'll keep the top HR hitter out of the Derby? He'll get in whether it's voting or chosen by the coaches. They need someone to go from every team anyway, and who else besides Brown deserves to be an all star? Lee, possibly, but that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino