OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): 2013 Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Can we fire Charlie now? Good God, I'm so tired of watching the same episode of baseball over and over again.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
There are other guys you could argue for ahead of him by virtue of getting on base more and being better at defense, and some guys who are close have bigger names. But I think he will get in if things hold where they are. He is leading the league in HRs after all.

Defense isn't really factored in All-Star selections. On base isn't really either.

Pence is having a pretty damn good yr so far which kinda hurts considering the Phillie's need for a right handed power bat. I mean Schierholtz is gone, Rosin is 24 yo and still at AA with a 4.36 ERA so I highly doubt he amounts to much if anything at the MLB level and I have my doubts about Joseph (he has tools but he can't seem to find his stroke but he's still young enough that he can turn things around).

The package they got back was no where near what they gave up. That's obvious. I will never for the life of me understand why Schierholtz was included. The Phillies obviously had no intention of keeping him. He was basically a stop gap on a losing team. I'm not saying they could have gotten Gary Brown, but I'd much rather take a chance on a low-level prospect with upside. Rosin was actually pitching very well up until his last few starts. He might be a back of the rotation guy. If not he will slide into the bullpen. I think he'll be a big leaguer in some fashion.

Anyway, back to Brown. He's 9th amongst NL outfielders in AVG, Second in SLG and OPS, First in HR and RBIs. He's also well above middle of the pack in both runs scored and OBP. If his OBP were were a little higher he'd be a shoe-in IMO but I still think he should be there (as long as he can maintain those numbers). I may be a little biased :laugh: but honestly there aren't many better OF in the NL right now.

Every team has to have a representative. Brown, Lee, and maybe Papelbon are the only worthy ones. As of right now he's in. Still a month away.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
The package they got back was no where near what they gave up. That's obvious. I will never for the life of me understand why Schierholtz was included. The Phillies obviously had no intention of keeping him. He was basically a stop gap on a losing team. I'm not saying they could have gotten Gary Brown, but I'd much rather take a chance on a low-level prospect with upside. Rosin was actually pitching very well up until his last few starts. He might be a back of the rotation guy. If not he will slide into the bullpen. I think he'll be a big leaguer in some fashion.

I really don't know much about Rosin, I was just going by the numbers so I'll take your word for it. Still my point stands, and I doubt you disagree, the front office's (I looking at you Amaro) assets management has been atrocious in recent years.

Can we fire Charlie now? Good God, I'm so tired of watching the same episode of baseball over and over again.

He should of been gone after last season, now I just assume we're stuck with him until the off-season out of "respect". I don't know, I'm just saying if you really respect the guy then let him know straight up he's not doing his job well enough and that it be best if they two parties parted ways now.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Homeruns are still the end all, be all for people. It's why Howard would have terrible averages and still be tops in MVP voting for years. HR and RBIs. Plus you think they'll keep the top HR hitter out of the Derby? He'll get in whether it's voting or chosen by the coaches. They need someone to go from every team anyway, and who else besides Brown deserves to be an all star? Lee, possibly, but that's it.

I'm pretty sure at some point he said he didn't want to go to the HR Derby because he didn't want to mess up his swing.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
I'm pretty sure at some point he said he didn't want to go to the HR Derby because he didn't want to mess up his swing.

If he did say that, it's stupid. I mean obviously it's his choice but guys take this way too seriously with the whole 'it'll mess up my swing' thing. Just go up there and take some batting practice. Who cares if you don't hit any homeruns. What, are you going to be considered a laughing stock if you have a bad showing in a homerun derby? It's just something for fun.

It's like someone turning down the hardest shot comp at the NHL all star game cause they are afraid it will mess up their shot. Lol.

He should of been gone after last season, now I just assume we're stuck with him until the off-season out of "respect". I don't know, I'm just saying if you really respect the guy then let him know straight up he's not doing his job well enough and that it be best if they two parties parted ways now.

It really is stupid, but expected from an organization who thinks that walks aren't important and who sign old, useless players instead of playing their young talent. I can't even watch hockey anymore to escape from it. All I've got is the same episode of the Phillies over and over, where they win a few games, Charlie does something stupid, the new players mess everything up, and then they suck again. Rinse and Repeat. I just want to see them going in a good direction. This is so lame. Even I'm stuck in a cycle, saying the same damn thing every week.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Homeruns are still the end all, be all for people. It's why Howard would have terrible averages and still be tops in MVP voting for years. HR and RBIs. Plus you think they'll keep the top HR hitter out of the Derby? He'll get in whether it's voting or chosen by the coaches. They need someone to go from every team anyway, and who else besides Brown deserves to be an all star? Lee, possibly, but that's it.

Papelbon too, but the team probably isn't good enough to get him enough save opps.

Defense isn't really factored in All-Star selections. On base isn't really either.

Yeah, that's basically my point for the AS game. Fans don't care about defense or OBP. Not sexy enough. Brown's HRs are sexy. :laugh:

And I agree about Rosin. And Schierholtz for that matter. Rosin just needs to do a better job at keeping the ball in the park, as his peripherals are pretty solid and he supposedly has alright stuff.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Would Zambrano be interested in working out of the bullpen like he did 15 times for the Marlins last season?

"I want to be a starter. I signed here to be a starter,” Zambrano said. “Last year was miserable when I went to the bullpen, I didn't enjoy it. That's why I signed here.”

Great, just what this team needs, more selfish *******s. Yeah, go Phillies!

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Would Zambrano be interested in working out of the bullpen like he did 15 times for the Marlins last season?

"I want to be a starter. I signed here to be a starter,†Zambrano said. “Last year was miserable when I went to the bullpen, I didn't enjoy it. That's why I signed here.â€

Great, just what this team needs, more selfish *******s. Yeah, go Phillies!

********, Carlos. You signed here because we were the only team willing to deal with your ****.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Funny thing is amaro says in the same article that he will use him for bullpen help if needed and he's versatile because of it. Lol, Amaro, you are such a damn idiot.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
I imagine that's something they went over before he signed. Obviously they should have, anyway. As long as Z was up front about it, then I don't care if he says he doesn't want to go to the bullpen. If it comes down to pitching in relief or being released, and he chooses to be released, so be it. It's his career. He hasn't been good as a reliever anyway, and not just last year.

If he's deemed good enough to start, then shift Cloyd to a long-relief role.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Another winnable game pissed away because of poor managing and lack of execution.

You know it is bad when Chris Wheeler's points through out the game start making sense.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
I'm gonna root for them to lose at this point. I can't stand this anymore. Something needs to change and losing is the only way it will happen.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
I think passing a kidney stone would be more enjoyable than watching this disaster of a team.

Something has to change. If that isn't clear to Amaro, he needs to be fired along with Charlies ASAP.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
I think passing a kidney stone would be more enjoyable than watching this disaster of a team.

Something has to change. If that isn't clear to Amaro, he needs to be fired along with Charlies ASAP.

They need to fire both of them. They're both atrocious. There's no life left in this team. None. The last burst of it was with Brown.

M Young
Revere
Adams
Durbin
Lannan
D Young

That's what Amaro got for the Phillies after their terrible 2012. They had the 2nd worst 8th inning ERA in the league last year and he somehow made it worse. They had a lineup full of guys with no patience and he made it worse. I'm glad they lost tonight. I hope they lose out the rest of this road trip. Enough of this ******** already.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
22618803.jpg

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
They need to fire both of them. They're both atrocious. There's no life left in this team. None. The last burst of it was with Brown.

M Young
Revere
Adams
Durbin
Lannan
D Young

That's what Amaro got for the Phillies after their terrible 2012. They had the 2nd worst 8th inning ERA in the league last year and he somehow made it worse. They had a lineup full of guys with no patience and he made it worse. I'm glad they lost tonight. I hope they lose out the rest of this road trip. Enough of this ******** already.

IMO, I think M. Young's struggles are due to Charlie's stupid decisions.

And with Revere, he's still really young. He's still learning. I think he'll be fine. Also, I'd rather have him than Worley, who is having some fun in the minor leagues right now.

The rest of them suck though :laugh:

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Why bother keeping Papelbon if the bullpen can't preserve a lead for him to save? May as well trade him to a contender and get some prospects in return.

Why is Bastardo still on this roster?

jml87

Jun 27, 2011

And with Revere, he's still really young. He's still learning. I think he'll be fine. Also, I'd rather have him than Worley, who is having some fun in the minor leagues right now.

M Young would probably be fine on a more offensively potent lineup but he's not good on the Phillies. His defense is below average and he's hit into a ton of double plays with no power to speak of.

Revere is hitting like an 8th hitter and his defense, which Amaro claimed was up to pair with Victorino, has been riddled with mistakes from bad routs and positioning.

Did anyone actually scout these guys before they brought them in? This is more than simple slump stuff with these guys but fundamental problems in their game. That's just an awful job by management.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA

Why would Charlie have anything to do with Young struggling? He's hitting better than he did last year when he was on a different team, without Charlie. There are players on the team that are probably being misused by Charlie- Mayberry, D Young, Nix, the bullpen- but I don't see how Michael Young would be one of them.

Why Michael Martinez why.

So Cesar Hernandez doesn't rot on the bench probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad