OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): 1st pick secured!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm actually feeling good about where this team is headed for the first time in a long time. The changes at the top are obvious but it seems like things are starting to fall the Phillies way here.

The win/loss record very likely won't be good again next year but if things keep going the way it appears to be it should be a fun transition year to which these guys come up & play.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Avoided 100 losses, got the 1st pick, dealt the one guy that had decent trade value, early returns of the draft class look good. Pretty successful season as weird as that sounds. There's a lot to work with moving forward and little holding back the next GM. Just have to nail the hire.

I have a lot more confidence in the organization now than 6 months ago.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
he's down at instructs so that would seem kind of odd to send him there and then cut him lose. Not saying they won't but not sure why they sent him to instructs then.

I was just going off what most reporters have been speculating for a while now. I don't really see the point in bringing him back when the OF could get crowded next year with guys who should be more priority to get at bats over him.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
I also feel good about the future of this team along with the sixers and flyers. Too bad I can't say that about the football team.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Avoided 100 losses, got the 1st pick, dealt the one guy that had decent trade value, early returns of the draft class look good. Pretty successful season as weird as that sounds. There's a lot to work with moving forward and little holding back the next GM. Just have to nail the hire.

I have a lot more confidence in the organization now than 6 months ago.

that is a very good way to look at it. i love the hamels trade, if amaro was the architecht of that well he left us in style.

We are still set up to succeed

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Im intrigued to see more of Altherr next season. Sweeney too. I believe that this was the worst year, and signing at least one decent starter and we are looking at a 70 win team potentially.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Im intrigued to see more of Altherr next season.

33 hits. 20 went for extra bases.

He's one of those guys that is probably going to be pretty streaky throughout his career, but if nothing else he should be a valuable 4th OFer as he can play all 3 OF spots and cover a ton of ground.

Don't forget Odubel who had arguably the best Rule 5 rookie season ever. What a find. He hit .297!!! 50k well spent. He has his flaws, but he's a middle of the diamond player that can hit and he was a surprising good fielder. Hopefully he builds off of the great 2nd half.

Last edited:

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Crawford should be up with the big club next season, Franco should continue to get better, we have a few pieces that look very good from the Hamels trade, and we're adding a 1st overall pick. Future starting to have a glimmer of hope.

Hell of a change from a calendar year ago when there seemed to be no light at the end of the tunnel.

Alfaro seems to be a bit of a wild card. Hoping he can get his development back on track, he's an elite talent.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Should mention the farm system that was already in place saw a bunch of guys take steps forward. Guys like Pinto, Knapp, Kilome, Quinn (before he got hurt), Tocci, Canelo, Hoskins, Altherr, Medina, Ramos, Arauz, Luis...

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
According to Fangraphs, Altherr was worth almost 2 WAR in only 39 games. A lot of that is because of defense- his metrics there are pretty great- but that's still really impressive.

His glove is for real and it seems like his power is for real (maybe not to the extent he's shown but he's definitely capable of driving the ball) so if he can make enough contact he could really be an unexpected building block. How funny would it be if, after years of being maligned for drafting toolsy busts, one of them fulfills his potential just when this era comes to a close?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Altherr learned to work the strike zone this year in AAA, and watching him, you could see it carry over to the show. He's a plus plus defender (minor league golden glove) which means he doesn't need huge offense to have real value - but his ability to draw walks, power and baserunning suggests he'll be at least a .750 OPS guy (10% BB rate and .400+ SA) even if he hits .240 or so. Which would make him around a 3 WAR RF. But he has upside above that.

Sweeney needs a year in AAA ball, he's not ready for prime time.

Herrera on the other hand - jeez, what an amazing season, never played OF until winter ball, ends the year as one of the top ten fielding CFs, solid offensive season despite never playing above AA - so I won't try to guess his upside.

Franco can flat out hit, if he improves his plate discipline, wow.

Hernandez, Galvis and Rupp are serviceable starters who are young enough to improve. Ruf plays much better on a regular basis than off the bench. So right now LF is the hole, but Lehigh should have an OF of Williams - Quinn - Dugan and Perkins, with Cozens in AA unless he's lights out in the AFL.

Pitching is their biggest need, but they'll have a solid AAA rotation with some good arms in AA. Adding a veteran innings eater to protect the young pitchers is probably their offseason priority (the premier pitchers will want huge overpays to come here, so don't expect that to happen). The bullpen is deep, and that will help if they have to go with Nola - Eickhoff - Morgan - Buchanan - veteran FA next year until guys like Eflin and Thompson are ready.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
This season went about as well as you could have hoped.

Re-stock the Farm
Secure #1 Pick
Avoid 100 losses
Trade Players
Players we like make the playoffs
Player we hate missed the playoffs

BTW, I'm in full on Hamels mode, rooting hard for Texas. I hope his playoff experience puts them over the top.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The most important thing in all of this is no more Dom Brown going forward! :laugh:

w00t! I was reading an article from back in September about Dom Brown. He said he thinks he can replicate that great month he had and put up those numbers on a consistent basis, but not with the Phillies because they won't let him get regular playing time so that is why he could never get it back. This after earlier in the year while in AAA saying he feels he is one of the better players in baseball. Maybe he has brain damage.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Honestly I had no faith that they would get this turned around, but thankfully they got some luck with some of the guys that you didn't expect much from. They could really be ready to go in 2 years and start challenging for a WC spot if things keep progressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad