OT: Philadelphia Eagles: The Atlanta Chokers edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
History tells you that isn't even close to a guarantee.

Not even a probability.

Brady is as good as there has been. I'd say sure ride off into the sunset if there wasn't anything left in his arm but he was slinging lasers across the field.

The argument I have been having is does this win put belichick in front of Lombardi all time.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Not even a probability.

Brady is as good as there has been. I'd say sure ride off into the sunset if there wasn't anything left in his arm but he was slinging lasers across the field.

The argument I have been having is does this win put belichick in front of Lombardi all time.

Belichick and Brady are both the GOAT and there is really no argument to be made for the contrary to be perfectly honest.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Not even a probability.

I think there is a stronger argument for Belichick than there is for Brady. Much stronger in fact. Put Unitas, Montana, or Marino on the Pats and my guess is that they're just as successful. But no coach has done what Belichick has done. Lombardi won his championships with the Packers over a shorter period of time ('61-'67), and there wasn't nearly as much parity in the league then. In addition, the AFL was already stealing some top players, especially QBs like Hadl, Lamonica, Dawson, Namath, Griese.

The strongest argument for Brady imo is his longevity. To be playing at such a high level at 39 is amazing. The other great quality that he's always had is coolness under pressure. He and Montana are the best that I've seen in that department. If that makes Brady the greatest so be it. Personally I think Rodgers is the best I've ever seen, with Steve Young not too far behind.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If you think Brady is the best of all time, I really hope you thought that Saturday as well.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
I think there is a stronger argument for Belichick than there is for Brady. Much stronger in fact. Put Unitas, Montana, or Marino on the Pats and my guess is that they're just as successful. But no coach has done what Belichick has done. Lombardi won his championships with the Packers over a shorter period of time ('61-'67), and there wasn't nearly as much parity in the league then. In addition, the AFL was already stealing some top players, especially QBs like Hadl, Lamonica, Dawson, Namath, Griese.
Belichick is the de facto GM as well. He's mastered the salary cap and roster management in this era. He might be the most valuable non player ever in the NFL along with Bill Walsh.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Belichick is the de facto GM as well. He's mastered the salary cap and roster management in this era. He might be the most valuable non player ever in the NFL along with Bill Walsh.

Belichick's ability to turn his roster over and stay at the top borders on sorcery. Year after year the Pats are the smartest team in the league. They just don't beat themselves. I was more shocked by how bad they looked in the 1st half than I was by the comeback. Brady was off, the recievers were dropping balls, the defense looked lost. You almost never see them look that bad.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
The strongest argument for Brady imo is his longevity. To be playing at such a high level at 39 is amazing. The other great quality that he's always had is coolness under pressure. He and Montana are the best that I've seen in that department. If that makes Brady the greatest so be it. Personally I think Rodgers is the best I've ever seen, with Steve Young not too far behind.
imo the strongest argument is that he has had all this success with noooobody at receiver/on offense. When he did have a hof receiver, they only put up the single season record for QB TDs.

He elevates those around him like nobody else has imo.

I don't see how you can really say anybody has done it any better than him? Hes the most decorated postseason winning QB and he's top 5 in basically every other regular season QB category.

I don't really like this...I just don't know how you argue against him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

It still helps when you have Brady. Not only has Brady himself taken some paycuts over the years to help out on that but with him you're also going to be in the thick of it every year. So you can take some hardline stances on guys wanting more money. They're also never shy of taking on guys with baggage.

They've basically built their offense over the years on players who are cheaper because of their position compared to others. Outside of a few years with Randy Moss & Corey Dillon they usually don't spend a lot on outside receivers & running backs which can generally be more pricey. So they load up on good tight ends & inside receivers because they're often cheaper potentially creating better value. So that's where they often save their money/cap.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
imo the strongest argument is that he has had all this success with noooobody at receiver/on offense. When he did have a hof receiver, they only put up the single season record for QB TDs.

He elevates those around him like nobody else has imo.

I don't see how you can really say anybody has done it any better than him? Hes the most decorated postseason winning QB and he's top 5 in basically every other regular season QB category.

I don't really like this...I just don't know how you argue against him.

See, I think that's a strong argument in favor of Belichick. How many Pats games do you watch where you see these no-name receivers wide open. It happens all the time. How do these guys consistently get open? How do they consistently not drop passes? Is that Brady? I'd say that's coaching and scheme. I mean, Chris Hogan was nobody. He played lacrosse at Penn State fcol. Then one year of college football at Monmouth, he bounces aroud the NFL for a while and then BB turns him into a weapon. It happens over and over, and on defense too (Eric Rowe and Patrick Chung say hello).

Nobody is saying that Brady is just some guy, he's obviously a slam dunk 1st ballot HOFer. My point is that there are a handful of other great QBs who, in the same situation, could very well have produced similar results.

Last edited:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
It still helps when you have Brady. Not only has Brady himself taken some paycuts over the years to help out on that but with him you're also going to be in the thick of it every year. So you can take some hardline stances on guys wanting more money. They're also never shy of taking on guys with baggage.

They've basically built their offense over the years on players who are cheaper because of their position compared to others. Outside of a few years with Randy Moss & Corey Dillon they usually don't spend a lot on outside receivers & running backs which can generally be more pricey. So they load up on good tight ends & inside receivers because they're often cheaper potentially creating better value. So that's where they often save their money/cap.

They also circumvent the cap. I think Brady's Massage company is hired by the Patriots and they pay them like an insane amount of money.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
yeah I agree with bellichick is slam dunk the best coach of all time. Brady you can argue because like someone else said, if you put other great qbs in his position, they likely repeat his success. i don't see how Peyton manning wouldn't have as many rings as tom if their roles were reversed. same with Rodgers. even Brees I think would have won as many. and that's just this Era. bellichick is clearly the one that makes it all possible, he could win championships with any great qb. we ve seen him have success with matt cassell and jimmy g for crying out loud.(albeit regular season) tom is a great qb, and one of the best of all time, but it's bill that is the motor that keeps the team running.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Belichick's ability to turn his roster over and stay at the top borders on sorcery. Year after year the Pats are the smartest team in the league.
only a couple of arguments against Belichick as GOAT and they're not even that strong; he's 41-55 as a HC without Brady & his Pats have played in what might be the weakest division across the NFL during his time w/ Brady as HC: records since 2000, MIA 131-141, Buffalo 112-160, NYJ 132-140

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
only a couple of arguments against Belichick as GOAT and they're not even that strong; he's 41-55 as a HC without Brady & his Pats have played in what might be the weakest division across the NFL during his time w/ Brady as HC: records since 2000, MIA 131-141, Buffalo 112-160, NYJ 132-140

He was the one who drafted brady though, and Brady's first great season was in 2007. They werent nearly as reliant on him in their first three Super Bowl teams.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
He was the one who drafted brady though, and Brady's first great season was in 2007. They werent nearly as reliant on him in their first three Super Bowl teams.

I think it was actually one of his assistants at the time, I think the QB coach, who lobbied hard for Brady.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm laughing at people overrating Garoppolo. If you can get what people are suggesting he's worth I think you pull the trigger right now if you're New England. Keep it going & try to maximize what's left of Brady.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
I'm laughing at people overrating Garoppolo. If you can get what people are suggesting he's worth I think you pull the trigger right now if you're New England. Keep it going & try to maximize what's left of Brady.
Garoppolo to the Niners or Browns for the 33rd/34th pick + a fifth or sixth is what I'm guessing happens.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Mel Kiper Jr. had the Eagles taking WR Mike Williams in his latest mock draft.

C4upOwXXAAYVKaR

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
If Cook and Williams are available, who should we want? I haven't paid any attention to these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad