OT: Philadelphia Eagles: The Atlanta Chokers edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Everyone calling up the radio stations saying the same thing- trade back and draft Peppers. :laugh:

Is it bad part of me wants the Eagles to draft Charles Harris to see people's heads explode?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Peppers is pretty much a zero in the passing game. The Eagles taking him in the first round would be pretty disappointing.

I don't think I would call him a zero, he's just not going to be a turnover guy. He's definitely more effective in the run game though, but getting him and a corner in the second I think has a bigger impact overall then grabbing two corners. That being said, I just saw an article saying he failed a drug test at the combine (dilluted sample) so maybe you can trade back and get him in the second if he falls that far and pick​ a CB, WR, or RB in the first?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think I would call him a zero, he's just not going to be a turnover guy. He's definitely more effective in the run game though, but getting him and a corner in the second I think has a bigger impact overall then grabbing two corners. That being said, I just saw an article saying he failed a drug test at the combine (dilluted sample) so maybe you can trade back and get him in the second if he falls that far and pick​ a CB, WR, or RB in the first?

He's got Devin Hester written all over him. I wouldn't touch that dude in the first two rounds. His hype is greater than what he's actually done on the field to this point.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
He's got Devin Hester written all over him. I wouldn't touch that dude in the first two rounds. His hype is greater than what he's actually done on the field to this point.

First off, Devin Hester may wind up in the HOF. Second of all, Peppers is much better defensively than Hester was in college and projects better defensively as a pro.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I'm not a fan, but if you're going to talk me into Peppers, it's going to be as a nickel safety. He can close on the ball.

He's not a man up player at this level. When he played more corner in '15, you had teams like Penn St picking on him vertically and guys like Britain Covey from Utah eating him alive.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
First off, Devin Hester may wind up in the HOF. Second of all, Peppers is much better defensively than Hester was in college and projects better defensively as a pro.

As a returner. I wouldn't want to spend a high pick on a return man. Peppers doesn't really have a position to project to. He's good athlete & good with the ball in his hands. He's good in run support but now he's going up
against bigger/faster guys in the NFL. He's essentially a box safety. If I'm drafting a safety high I want a guy like Hooker or Adams who can actually have an impact on defending the pass. The substance has never matched the hype with him.

Charles Harris probably wouldn't be a popular pick but I much rather draft him over Peppers in the first round.

Last edited:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
As a returner. I wouldn't want to spend a high pick on a return man. Peppers doesn't really have a position to project to. He's good athlete & good with the ball in his hands. He's good in run support but now he's going up
against bigger/faster guys in the NFL. He's essentially a box safety. If I'm drafting a safety high I want a guy like Hooker or Adams who can actually have an impact on defending the pass. The substance has never matched the hype with him.

Charles Harris probably wouldn't be a popular pick but I much rather draft him over Peppers in the first round.

I would if he is going to set records and be a constant threat all while also starting on defense. That being said, he's not going to be Devin Hester. He's better on defense and not as good as returning kicks (though he's no slouch). To me the ST is a bonus. I think he'll be either as an every down safety or a guy that can play multiple positions depending on the situation.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I would if he is going to set records and be a constant threat all while also starting on defense. That being said, he's not going to be Devin Hester. He's better on defense and not as good as returning kicks (though he's no slouch). To me the ST is a bonus. I think he'll be either as an every down safety or a guy that can play multiple positions depending on the situation.

I wouldn't. The overall impact a return man even to the highest caliber still doesn't compare to every down player & a lot of these guys weren't/aren't really highly invested in. Barner's a good return guy for the Eagles & they payed little to nothing (can't remember exactly if he was free agent or not) to acquire him.

We're just gonna have to agree to disagree here. For me Peppers is the biggest smoke in mirror player in this draft. I wouldn't touch him with a first rounder or a second rounder for that matter. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't go in the first though. It's just too much to invest in a guy where you really don't know exactly where he fits in position wise.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I wouldn't. The overall impact a return man even to the highest caliber still doesn't compare to every down player & a lot of these guys weren't/aren't really highly invested in. Barner's a good return guy for the Eagles & they payed little to nothing (can't remember exactly if he was free agent or not) to acquire him.

We're just gonna have to agree to disagree here. For me Peppers is the biggest smoke in mirror player in this draft. I wouldn't touch him with a first rounder or a second rounder for that matter. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't go in the first though. It's just too much to invest in a guy where you really don't know exactly where he fits in position wise.

If the staff doesn't know where he fits, then yeah they shouldn't take him with a first, but I'm willing to bet that whomever drafts him has a plan regarding how he'll be used.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Peppers was the perfect fit for a Star DB at the college level, imo. I don't know what he plays at the NFL level though.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Is it bad part of me wants the Eagles to draft Charles Harris to see people's heads explode?

I really don't dislike Harris (I can see the Everson Griffen comp), but Josh Norris' mock today had them taking him with McCaffrey, Lattimore, Davis, and Reddick on the board. That might trigger armageddon.

Harris has made me do a lot of digging on edge rushers who didn't pass athletic muster that succeeded. The most standout common thread was having an inside move and he absolutely does.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Yeah, that's a tough one. You could drop half of a second from a 40 time at a pro day and I wouldn't particularly care unless you were verifiably hurt at the combine, but the jumps should be pretty close to standard. Even with that, it put him at the ~47th percentile in SPARQ -- not that SPARQ would be my preferred EDGE metric, but that's low.

I forget where I was reading it, but some teams apparently have him above Solomon Thomas. I can't see how that could possibly be justified.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Obviously probably nothing but Corey Davis Tweeted then deleted something Eagles related.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...-philadelphia-western-michigan-nfl-draft-2017

Wouldn't surprise me if the Birds took him. I'd prefer Williams over Davis but I certainly would not complain if they took Davis. I'm starting to think that Davis might be off the board at 14 though. I could see a team like the Chargers or Bills grabbing a WR (or both) and Davis seems to be the guy shooting up the boards. I could even see the Browns taking a WR. I am not a fan of any of the QBs in this draft and that seems to be the general consensus, so maybe the Browns don't take Turbisky at 12 and instead grab a WR. Or maybe they trade #1 and move back a couple spots and take Turbisky at 7-8 and then a WR at 12. Who knows?

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Regardless of where Peppers projects in terms of the defensive backfield, he doesn't make any logical sense for a first round pick on this team. I think he's going to be overdrafted because he's a dynamic player and is probably a bit overhyped, but this team doesn't need any help at safety or in the slot, really. The majority of our corners are at their best in the slot as it is and safety is likely our biggest defensive strength.

In terms of others, I don't understand the love for Charles Harris. I see very little about his game that shows me a first round pick. Subpar athleticism, not very refined set of pass rushing moves, not overly violent, I just don't get it. I get he's newer to football so the potential is there but I just don't see the mentality of a great defensive end.

If it's me, ideally somebody falls (Lattimore, Allen) or you take one of the other guys projected as BPA (Conley, Ross, Foster, Howard). I'd be ok with Barnett - he reminds me a lot of Brandon Graham - but I don't think there are any standout pass rushers that will be available at our pick. I also don't like drafting running backs this early unless you're further along in your team's development, especially on the offensive line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad