OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Playoffs - Eagles Still Pick Sixth, They Have A Coach, No QB Though

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I found out a depressing stat today...

The Eagles haven't drafted a player from Alabama since 2002.

I think it's safe to say we can count out Surtain, Smith, and Waddle.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Probably the former because they have one outside Corner on the roster, but either is great.

I don't even care which Moore you mean. I'd murder for either at 37.
3x

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

One would think if they like Toney, they're also in on both Moores. Excellent news all around.

If they do take him, I really hope the WR coach is good. Natural ability is through the roof, but he needs refinement badly.

Not sure about Morehead, but Sirianni has years of experience as a WR coach, with Allen in SD. So he understands WRs.
I think the more coaches you have with hands on position coaching, the better they can work with scouts b/c they have a feel for the guys they could coach up, and the one's they couldn't.

I think for many coaches, scheming is more "sexy" than teaching fundamentals and supervising drills.
One reason I think Stoutland is so successful is he focuses on technique first, scheme second - if you can't execute, doesn't matter how clever the coaches are.

Reactions: IronMarshal

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
McShay has a new mock, has Philly taking Parsons at 12 (after missing out on ALL of Pitts, Chase, Waddle, Smith, Surtain II, and Horn) and Bateman in the 2nd.

I....don't love picking Parsons at all though.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Not sure about Morehead, but Sirianni has years of experience as a WR coach, with Allen in SD. So he understands WRs.
I think the more coaches you have with hands on position coaching, the better they can work with scouts b/c they have a feel for the guys they could coach up, and the one's they couldn't.

I think for many coaches, scheming is more "sexy" than teaching fundamentals and supervising drills.
One reason I think Stoutland is so successful is he focuses on technique first, scheme second - if you can't execute, doesn't matter how clever the coaches are.

I don't know how to judge whether Moorehead did a good job with 2015-17 TAMU and 2019-20 Vandy. I don't trust anyone who insists they know either.

A 2nd and a 4th rounder out of that talent pool isn't bad, so I would understand saying he didn't fail spectacularly. Any more than that and I would consider it speculation.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
McShay has a new mock, has Philly taking Parsons at 12 (after missing out on ALL of Pitts, Chase, Waddle, Smith, Surtain II, and Horn) and Bateman in the 2nd.

As a player, I like Parsons at 12 if they'll use him properly.

But I'm starting to hear about his own personality issues and off the field stuff...not sure how bad that is.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't know how to judge whether Moorehead did a good job with 2015-17 TAMU and 2019-20 Vandy. I don't trust anyone who insists they know either.

A 2nd and a 4th rounder out of that talent pool isn't bad, so I would understand saying he didn't fail spectacularly. Any more than that and I would consider it speculation.

At least Sirianni has enough experience at that job to know if Morehead was blowing smoke at him when he interviewed.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

I just checked it out...

It has Penei Sewell going at #13...

Lets just say: As little faith I have in Howie and the Eagles when it comes to drafting, passing on what many consider one of the best Tackle prospects in the last 5-10 years in favor of a LB really doesn't sound like them...

My list is:

5 QBs
2 CBs
3 WRs
Pitts
Sewell

One of the above will be on the board for the Eagles regardless of what happens.
I absolutely can see them doing something dumb and picking Paye over a guy like Smith, Waddle or Pitts even. Maybe also Surtain.

I think that is the kind of "stupid" (who knows really how things will turn out but I would hate it) we should expect. I don't think we have to worry about them overvaluing LBs judging by our history...

And yeah Parsons sounds like a POS off the field. Don't want him...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jtown

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm not sure Paye would be a stupid pick, hard to tell since Michigan had a truncated season.
But he had an incredible workout at 6'2 261 lbs, like elite DB SS and cone, 36" vertical, 4.5-4.6 40, basically elite LB athleticism at DE.
Now it depends on what Gannon wants in a DE, he might want someone bigger.

However, if the film checks out, I don't think it would be a reach.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Todd McShay's latest NFL mock draft has curious landing spots for Mac Jones, Justin Fields

McShay's latest mock draft...

I can't pull up the full mock since I think it's behind a pay-wall, but the highlights:

- New England trades with the Giants to select Fields at 11
- Top 4 WR/TE (Waddle, Chase, Smith, Pitts) & Surtain are taken before #11
- Eagles select Parsons at 12 (with Sewell on the board)

If we let Sewell get past us, I'll burn it down

Reactions: DancingPanther

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Todd McShay's latest NFL mock draft has curious landing spots for Mac Jones, Justin Fields

McShay's latest mock draft...

I can't pull up the full mock since I think it's behind a pay-wall, but the highlights:

- New England trades with the Giants to select Fields at 11
- Top 4 WR/TE (Waddle, Chase, Smith, Pitts) & Surtain are taken before #11
- Eagles select Parsons at 12 (with Sewell on the board)

If we let Sewell get past us, I'll burn it down
I imagine Stoutland would too

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I imagine Stoutland would too

If I'm him, I just give Howie the finger and pee on his windshield while on his way out of town.

I know we're not desperate at LT, but Sewell would clearly be the best player on the board and I don't trust Maliata enough to pass on that kind of talent.

The good thing is that McShay clearly doesn't understand the Eagles and I don't think there's a chance we'd pick a LB over a T.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
For all we know, Stoutland has told Howie he loves Mailata and Dillard. He pushed for drafting both of them. It would depend on how he evaluates Sewell, since I think everyone defers to his opinion on OL, as they should, he's earned that kind of respect.

As to LBs, Gannon is more likely to value LBs than Schwartz. This doesn't mean LB becomes a priority, rather, a LB may remain higher on the draft board than in years past.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
If I'm him, I just give Howie the finger and pee on his windshield while on his way out of town.

I know we're not desperate at LT, but Sewell would clearly be the best player on the board and I don't trust Maliata enough to pass on that kind of talent.

The good thing is that McShay clearly doesn't understand the Eagles and I don't think there's a chance we'd pick a LB over a T.
As far as I'm concerned you can never have too many good linemen. Grab him if he's there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad