OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Playoffs - Eagles Still Pick Sixth, They Have A Coach, No QB Though

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm confident b/c I think this current group has more of a clue than Schwartz/Doug.

More hands on coaches with player development experience, which means they'll be more focused on players they feel comfortable they can coach up than "plug and play" types they can fit into their perceived needs.
So hopefully they'll be more attuned to the scouting judgements.
Doesn't hurt that Gannon was a scout for a couple years, makes it easier to cross talk without miscommunication.

To me, the key to the Eagles drafting well is the draft board, because Howie is one of the best at wheeling and dealing, but he needs to be able to trust his draft board to make good deals.

Notice we haven't had many misses on the OL since Stoutland came on board, I don't think that's a coincidence, from trading for Brooks, to finding Seumalo (#79), Vaitai (#164), Pryor (#206), Mailata (#233), Dillard (#22), Driscoll (#145), Prince (#210) Herbig (UDFA).
Dillard's been bad luck, but otherwise a great haul, even Pryor who regressed is still depth late in the draft.
Prince is the only miss, and that was a gamble on a bad knee late in the draft.

To me, that's the value of a top developmental position coach in the draft, recognizing who he can work with and lobbying for those players.

Now compare our track records with DBs!

Reactions: JXC

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I also think draft priorities may be very different with the new coaching staff:
Absolutely. I hope people understand that the archetypes are not the same.

1) Sirianni has had good experiences with 2nd-3rd rd picks and UDFAs at WR/TE, so he may not feel the urgency to draft one high
The TE class stinks on ice, but for WRs, there's real value to be had on Day 2 or even 3. You have both Moores, Marshall, Toney, Dyami Brown, and Tylan Wallace as potential picks plus freak athletes like Seth Williams and Simi Fehoko. You also have lower upside guys like Amon-Ra St Brown and Josh Palmer that would still make perfectly good choices. If you want a Slot, you can go with Jaelon Darden if you miss out on the Moores. The class is both deep and diverse.

If you want a late-round TE to potentially watch, I'll give you a name -- UCF WR Jacob Harris. Brugler mentioned some teams see him as a Move TE and it makes so much sense. He's 6'5" 211 and a monster athlete. He's got room and the frame to add weight.

4) Gannon likes LBs (Minn, Indy) so that may be a higher priority, especially a 3 down type

LB is clearly an issue. It's just how much of one is it? They may think they have 2 LBs they like. I don't like either, but I recognize that Taylor has actual upside if someone can just teach him how to play football. The chances of that certainly went up with the defensive coaching upheaval.

5) Gannon may like big press CBs, which we lack.
I don't think it even gets down to coaching preference here. They have one outside Corner on the roster. One. Someone with the size to play outside is getting drafted at some point.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think adding Wilson on a one year deal was partially motivated by the conclusion that Taylor isn't ready for that WLB/nickel LB role. Taylor has the athleticism to excel in that role, but is probably a year away with hard coaching.

I still think they'd like to upgrade over Edwards at MLB, smart, good run stopper but lacks the athleticism to cover.
Singleton probably has a lock on SAM right now.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I'm confident b/c I think this current group has more of a clue than Schwartz/Doug.

Its hilarious and sad how little credit the only coaching staff that ever won us a SB gets.

Not to mention that a coaching staff that made the playoffs 3 out of 5 times and won 4 playoff game in 5 seasons somehow gets labeled as incompetent and stupid....

I understand why Doug got fired (even though I disagree with the decision) but its almost comically stupid how so many Eagles fans are so deadsure that Sirianni and Gannon will be a big improvement...

I mean I hope so. Would be great for my team. But its sad and delusional to believe it is likely. An overwhelming majority of coaching hires fail and don't come anywhere close to the success this previous staff had.

Not to mention that this roster is very likely a mess which makes things very difficult for any coaching staff. Let alone a rookie coach...

Don't get me wrong. I like the hire even though the first interviews were iffy. But its crazy how much faith this fanbase has in this hire while they want to tear down and fire everyone else basically including the guys that hired them ( aside from Hurts whom I like but who somehow should be treated better than Aaron Rodgers and not have to face any competition)...

This whole fanbase has collectively lost its mind over the last few years IMO.

A bit more of a wait and see level headed approach prevents the stupidity and hurt feelings we have seen with Doug at the end I guess. Just an advice on my end..

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Doug had almost no hands on development experience, QB coach for a couple years under AR was pretty much it.
And like a lot of HCs, he was more focused on scheming, and wanted young players to be NFL ready.
Schwartz had a lot of input into personnel decisions, and he was definitely veteran oriented.

When you're rebuilding, developing players is the most important skill of a coaching staff.
When you're ready to compete, we'll find out how good Sirianni is in putting together game plans and play calling - but the next two years, that should be secondary to identifying and coaching up core players.

So a different focus going into the draft, not which players can be projected onto the depth chart the next two years, but which players have the potential to be starters by their third season, less of a focus on NFL readiness, and more on attainable upside.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If you want a late-round TE to potentially watch, I'll give you a name -- UCF WR Jacob Harris. Brugler mentioned some teams see him as a Move TE and it makes so much sense. He's 6'5" 211 and a monster athlete. He's got room and the frame to add weight.

The guy to watch is on the roster, Tyree Jackson, college QB who was tried at QB as a rookie and found wanting. Switching positions was his idea.
6'7 249, 4.59, 4.28 SS, 7.09 cone, 34" vertical, 10'0 LJ - quite an athlete at his size.
As a QB you know he has good hands and understands offensive concepts.
Blocking of course will be an issue, but as a H-back, well, can't be much worse than Rodgers.

Michaels coached Alie-Cox, a basketball forward who became a TE.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The guy to watch is on the roster, Tyree Jackson, college QB who was tried at QB as a rookie and found wanting. Switching positions was his idea.
6'7 249, 4.59, 4.28 SS, 7.09 cone, 34" vertical, 10'0 LJ - quite an athlete at his size.
As a QB you know he has good hands and understands offensive concepts.
Blocking of course will be an issue, but as a H-back, well, can't be much worse than Rodgers.

Michaels coached Alie-Cox, a basketball forward who became a TE.

I'll give you a direct line of comparison for Jackson too. From a purely physical measurement and testing standpoint, he's extremely similar to both Dallas Goedert and Hakeem Butler. They have a type.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'll give you a direct line of comparison for Jackson too. From a purely physical measurement and testing standpoint, he's extremely similar to both Dallas Goedert and Hakeem Butler. They have a type.

Goedert is a true TE (which is why I found it funny people calling Pitts a TE, he's a prototypical H-back, motion guy). 6'4256 (now in the 260s?). A solid blocker who can handle DEs in-line. Compare to Ertz, a H-back in a TE body.

Butler is a big WR, at 6'5 220, he's more in the Perkins mold, has good straight line speed but couldn't run good enough routes to separate as a WR, as a H-back, match him against LBs and SSs and let him run by them.

Caleb Wilson is another tweener with good straight line speed at 6'4240, but not as athletic as Butler or Jackson.

I expect the Eagles to pick up another H-back type or two, as well as a late round/UDFA "pure" TE type.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Screenshot_20210409-162132_1.jpg

Well this is moving in the wrong direction for my bet. Can't believe they'd take Jones over Fields. And I like Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad