OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Offseason: Kelly vs. Roseman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
you started w/ a crappy argument:

Not really. QBs early in their careers can be inconsistent. I'd consider that just having a strong sense of the history of NFL QBs. The desire to treat 2nd year Foles like he's an 8 year pro having a bad year is just short-sighted. Not saying you're necessarily doing that -- but I'm getting that vibe from the fanbase. No patience in Philly.

very true chip may find himself "stuck" with Foles

Yeah. I know he said that Foles was his QB forever, but that's Chip being Chip. Answering the same questions recently, Chip has pulled back a bit on his commitment to Foles.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Sports talk radio is brutal right now. I don't think I can take 5 more months of this.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Not saying you're necessarily doing that -- but I'm getting that vibe from the fanbase. No patience in Philly.
this is where I am:
I see a coach who is married to his system and this system is not ideal for a QB like Foles
I see a QB [Mariota] who is perfect for the system and obviously knows the system

it's not impatience, it's more like we have a square peg and a round hole right now with the QB + the system, in my opinion

TheSpectrum

Oct 18, 2011
100% gut feel (never reported anywhere)

I think Chip respects the hell out of Foles as a competitor and a team guy but doesn't think he can get the most out of his offense with him.

Just reading between the lines, Chip has always been very complementary of Foles as a competitor and a leader but seems to always dodge the point when it comes to making a commitment to Foles long term.

I think if Chip felt he had his guy he would have no bones saying that that guy was his guy. With Foles it seems to always be "well if we find something that makes our football team better we'll look into it" type of reasoning. Same reasoning he took with Jackson when reporters started to press him prior to his release.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Sports talk radio is brutal right now. I don't think I can take 5 more months of this.

It is terrible. So many think that they could possibly trade up for a top 2 pick to get him. it is hilarious. The Bucs and Jets are definitely drafting a quarterback, so Winston/Mariota wont be there after 6.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
this is where I am:
I see a coach who is married to his system and this system is not ideal for a QB like Foles
I see a QB [Mariota] who is perfect for the system and obviously knows the system

it's not impatience, it's more like we have a square peg and a round hole right now with the QB + the system, in my opinion

I understand the reasoning. It comes down to whether Kelly is willing to sink the draft in order to run his system his way, instead of making the round hole more square for Foles and continuing to build through the draft. It would also sacrifice Foles who obviously would leave or be traded. If stories come out that Kelly tries to get Mariota and fails -- and then sticks with Foles. Awkward.

It sets up some tragic story lines. I'm not saying this happens, but imagine that Mariota busts and Foles becomes a really nice QB elsewhere. Team may not recover for a decade. Given our rich history in Philadelphia -- it wouldn't surprise me if it did, even though I don't find it incredibly likely.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It is terrible. So many think that they could possibly trade up for a top 2 pick to get him. it is hilarious. The Bucs and Jets are definitely drafting a quarterback, so Winston/Mariota wont be there after 6.

Not even that. I mean how many times can you talk about the same ****? You only have to listen for 5 minutes. Everything just gets repeated.

Mariota. Foles. Chip. Roseman. Desean.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
In their defense, what else are you going to talk about.

David Murphy was talking about he expects the Phillies to be dead last in the MLB.

So Sixers are the worst, Phillies are the worst, Flyers were teetering around the worst record (they aren't the NHL bottom, but they aren't a good team either)

Eagles were the only thing anybody had and now they look further away than when they started this year.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Not even that. I mean how many times can you talk about the same ****? You only have to listen for 5 minutes. Everything just gets repeated.

This has been going on for 5 months already too! I don't understand how every. single. day. you can talk/listen to the same stuff. All other sports have ceased to exist in this town. It is maddening

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town

What else do you expect them to talk about? Aaron Harang? Feddy Galvis? The 5-28 basketball team? Going to be a long winter sports wise.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

David Murphy was talking about he expects the Phillies to be dead last in the MLB.

So Sixers are the worst, Phillies are the worst, Flyers were teetering around the worst record (they aren't the NHL bottom, but they aren't a good team either)

Eagles were the only thing anybody had and now they look further away than when they started this year.

Mix it up a little bit. I get football rules things around here, but I get in the car and its like listening to the same song on repeat.

The Eagles aren't exactly in great shape either. Tallest midget in the circus, sure, but they have more questions than answers just like the other 3 teams.

I forget what host said it, but he flat out said he didn't know what they were going to do until April.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
This would never happen, but I'd like to see WIP and the fan each hire a true hockey guy, somebody who doesn't just casually follow it to keep up, Im talking about someone who can offer in depth conversation about the Flyers, their prospects, other teams around the league, ect.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
What else do you expect them to talk about? Aaron Harang? Feddy Galvis? The 5-28 basketball team? Going to be a long winter sports wise.

We manage to find things to discuss on here about the Flyers. I'm sure they could get creative. Maybe they could discuss potential trades for either team instead of speculating every day what they could do to trade up or let Foles play again. It's not even that they talk about the Eagles all the time, it's constant QB chat

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
This would never happen, but I'd like to see WIP and the fan each hire a true hockey guy, somebody who doesn't just casually follow it to keep up, Im talking about a someone who can offer in depth conversation about the Flyers, their prospects, other teams around the league, ect.
Yeah it would never happen. All about the ratings.

Might happen on a a pregame show, but that's about it.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
It comes down to whether Kelly is willing to sink the draft in order to run his system his way, instead of making the round hole more square for Foles and continuing to build through the draft. It would also sacrifice Foles who obviously would leave or be traded. If stories come out that Kelly tries to get Mariota and fails -- and then sticks with Foles. Awkward.
Chip-especially these last couple of weeks-is either digging his own grave or building the foundation for a gold statue of himself outside the Linc.

It sets up some tragic story lines. I'm not saying this happens, but imagine that Mariota busts and Foles becomes a really nice QB elsewhere. Team may not recover for a decade. Given our rich history in Philadelphia -- it wouldn't surprise me if it did, even though I don't find it incredibly likely.
or how about this-NFC Championship game 2017, Philly and Foles at Tampa and Mariota?

yeah there is literally nothing else that is interesting in the philly sports landscape right now

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Some guys are lifers. LeBeau is one. He'll keep going until he physically is unable to do it anymore and/or dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad