OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Offseason: Kelly vs. Roseman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Foles isn't going to be an elite QB, but I still think he's good enough to win with. They just need to get a little more help that suits his style if they are going to go with him.

They shouldn't just ditch an above average caliber starter because he's not elite. You can do worse.

This is pretty much my sentiment. I thought he wasnt good enough this year, but he still was better than alot of what other NFL teams had. If they can someone fine someone better, Im all for it. But right now that is going to be hard to do. So many people think it is so easy to find an elite quarterback.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
He had no DeSean this year, a patchwork OL that was just as bad, and Shady was practically invisible early on. Should we dismiss this year as well?

You could make a case, but no, I think he had enough talent around him, but if he had the same team that Sanchez did, our outcome might have been different.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
What?
I think it's pretty common knowledge among virtually everybody that finding a great QB is extremely tough.

Whenever I listen to the radio (which isnt often anymore), most callers seem to think it is so simple to find one. It isnt, so that is why Foles will be the quarterback for another year. If he plays well, they will have no choice but to extend him. if he falters than it is time to look elsewhere for the future.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Whenever I listen to the radio (which isnt often anymore), most callers seem to think it is so simple to find one. It isnt, so that is why Foles will be the quarterback for another year. If he plays well, they will have no choice but to extend him. if he falters than it is time to look elsewhere for the future.

I don't think anyone thinks it is easy to find an elite QB, I think the idea is that we know that Foles is not an elite QB and we think there are potential options out there like Mariota who could be one. If there is a chance to grab a guy you think is elite, even if it costs you a lot, why would you worry about giving Foles another chance to just to prove he is average (or slightly above average if you really want to be generous). Then next year we can draft a guy who may or may not be as good as Mariota and start the process over again.

I don't actually think Mariota will be an Eagle next year, but I do think it is something Chip and the management will consider. I also think that in Chip's system, Mariota would be better than Foles. Not necessarily elite, but better than Foles with the possibility of being an elite top tier QB. That is why I think it is worth the risk of trading up for him.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I don't think anyone thinks it is easy to find an elite QB, I think the idea is that we know that Foles is not an elite QB and we think there are potential options out there like Mariota who could be one. If there is a chance to grab a guy you think is elite, even if it costs you a lot, why would you worry about giving Foles another chance to just to prove he is average (or slightly above average if you really want to be generous). Then next year we can draft a guy who may or may not be as good as Mariota and start the process over again.

I don't actually think Mariota will be an Eagle next year, but I do think it is something Chip and the management will consider. I also think that in Chip's system, Mariota would be better than Foles. Not necessarily elite, but better than Foles with the possibility of being an elite top tier QB. That is why I think it is worth the risk of trading up for him.

You may think it is worth trading up, but why would Tampa Bay trade that pick away when they so desperately need a quarterback? Also, if they were to trade it the jets would far and away offer more than the Eagles. I just dont see how it is possible for the Eagles to get him if he isnt one of first two quarterbacks taken (which is almost a guarantee).

I think all of you are nuts who want to get rid of Foles so quickly.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You may think it is worth trading up, but why would Tampa Bay trade that pick away when they so desperately need a quarterback? Also, if they were to trade it the jets would far and away offer more than the Eagles. I just dont see how it is possible for the Eagles to get him if he isnt one of first two quarterbacks taken (which almost a guarantee).

I think all of you are nuts who want to get rid of Foles so quickly.

Oh sure, at the end of the day it may not actually be possible given the assets involved. I'm just saying I would take a shot. As for Foles, the NFL isn't like hockey or baseball. Guys that are going to succeed on a regular basis typically do so within the first couple years. He's played in the NFL for three seasons (albeit not all as a starter). He played 2/3 of those seasons at an average to below average level. The other season he put up incredible numbers (largely on the strength of 2-3 really good games against really bad teams) that were very clearly not sustainable. Is he a competent NFL quarterback? Sure. He'd be fine as a starter here for the next couple years. But why do you want to settle for fine at arguably the most important position in sports? Unless, of course, you think that Foles is actually an above average QB (which, in my mind anyway, still isn't much better than "fine" as far as QBs go).

What starting NFL QBs would you rather have than moving forward instead of Foles? My list includes quite a few players (i.e., he is not as good as most NFL starters). The shorter list would be which QBs would you rather Foles instead of? For me, it is Orton, Fitzpatrick (or whomever is in HOU), Smith/Vick, anyone on STL (aside from a healthy Bradford...which doesn't really exist), Mettenberger, and McCown. RGIII I'm on the fence because I think if he's healthy he could still be a better QB than Foles, but the injuries concern me. Other than that, I'd take any NFL QB over Foles.

TheSpectrum

Oct 18, 2011
I don't think last night did much to hurt Mariota's stock

His arm strength was in full display last night and had his WRs made a couple of easy catches he might have more numbers to his name

I was also very impressed at how quick he is able to move away from pressure, set his feet and fire bullets. I don't think i saw him throw off his back-foot or fading away once single time.

Two negatives that stand out in his game. One, he makes no bones about lowering his head against LB's. He won't last 2 seasons in the NFL playing this style. Two, he is very quick to drop his eyes and take off at the onset of any pressure. He is going to have to work on his pocket presence a lot more.

He is a little unpolished and that may cost him a #1 pick but I don't see how he slides past 3.

On the other hand, Jones said he might enter the NFL draft. That may fuel another type of discussion as well.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
The more QBs the better, Blake Bortles was the first QB off the board last year and some people hadn't even heard of him.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
This may bode well for Chip's psychology -- seeing Oregon fail again. Stay in the NFL bro.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Not a very smart decision and history shows it just doesn't happen but I can see Mariota staying at school. He did the normal posturing last night about not making a decision and has to talk to his family but I COULD see it happening.

Have the Eagles acquire another first round pick next year and voila, one step closer to Mariota.

I will continue my crusade to get him on the Eagles until forever.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Not a very smart decision and history shows it just doesn't happen but I can see Mariota staying at school. He did the normal posturing last night about not making a decision and has to talk to his family but I COULD see it happening.

Have the Eagles acquire another first round pick next year and voila, one step closer to Mariota.

I will continue my crusade to get him on the Eagles until forever.

Cardale is going to be a better pro, you can book that.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

We shall see. He had a good game last night. I would have liked to see how he performed with more pressure on him. Ducks got blown off the line on both sides of the ball so there was very little penetration. Hated seeing him continually falling forward for those first downs. Jones gets credit for the Alabama game but I don't think he played that well.

How do you feel about Jones coming out this year? I think it's crazy but it might be his best option.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
We shall see. He had a good game last night. I would have liked to see how he performed with more pressure on him. Ducks got blown off the line on both sides of the ball so there was very little penetration. Hated seeing him continually falling forward for those first downs. Jones gets credit for the Alabama game but I don't think he played that well.

How do you feel about Jones coming out this year? I think it's crazy but it might be his best option.

If Barrett is healthy, he should declare. He is already 22 and has already redshirted. He will be the backup to Barrett, so he would be on the bench. If he transfers he would have to wait until the 2016 season. So he wont really be able to showcase himself barring an injury to Barrett, and if Barrett is still hurt from the leg injury than Miller might not transfer. Think he should declare.

TheSpectrum

Oct 18, 2011
I don't know how you can base that off of 3 games when Mariota has a body of work of 3 years

The kid has a cannon of an arm but he was also lowering his eyes and taking off any moment the pocket began to shake. Plus he has already displayed some immaturity issues while Mariota is considered by many one of the smartest players in this year's draft class

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I don't know how you can base that off of 3 games when Mariota has a body of work of 3 years

The kid has a cannon of an arm but he was also lowering his eyes and taking off any moment the pocket began to shake. Plus he has already displayed some immaturity issues while Mariota is considered by many one of the smartest players in this year's draft class

Mariota is a good QB. I'm obviously going to stand by the guy but just because he's had a good career in college doesn't guarantee it translates to the NFL. Matt Barkley, once considered a potential first overall talent, set plenty of school and conference records and look how that works in the NFL. Mariota's best chance for success is with the Eagles, IMO. I'm not sure how he would perform in a standard offense like Lovie Smith runs. He still has a moderate chance at busting at the NFL level, imo.

Jones has some very impressive physical tools. He might be the flavor of the day after the performance over the last three games. But he does have some nice tools and could project to be a good QB. I'm not sure where a team would take him in the draft though. So depending on round we'll see.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town

Im just not really high on Mariota. i think he can/will be a good quarterback. But I dont see an Andrew Luck type impact from him.

As far as Jones goes, teams wont be able to pass up on physical ability. He is just oozing talent. What you mentioned can be corrected with more practice/game time and coaching. Kids do/say/tweet stupids things, whether he grows up is the question. Somebody will draft him, not sure where.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
McShay says before the game he was a 7th rounder - undrafted but now puts him at a fourth to fifth rounder. Scouts he talked to said he'd be a Day 3 pick but if he declares they'll need to do some homework.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
As far as Jones goes, teams wont be able to pass up on physical ability. He is just oozing talent.
jamarcus russell oozed talent also

if you've watched jones' last 3 games, you would have seen that he's an erratic thrower who would need to improve a heck of a lot to succeed in the NFL

saying that he's gonna be a better pro than mariota is pure speculation based on nothing tangible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille