OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Offseason: Kelly vs. Roseman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSpectrum

Oct 18, 2011
Im just not really high on Mariota. i think he can/will be a good quarterback. But I dont see an Andrew Luck type impact from him.

As far as Jones goes, teams wont be able to pass up on physical ability. He is just oozing talent. What you mentioned can be corrected with more practice/game time and coaching. Kids do/say/tweet stupids things, whether he grows up is the question. Somebody will draft him, not sure where.

I agree with the physical ability aspect. I prefer the Eagles to use a mid-round pick on a guy like him over a guy like Matt Barkley that lacks most of the physical attributes you look for in a QB. The immaturity scares me a bit.

We will see. If he can't buy playing time at OSU next year it kind of makes sense for him to announce for the draft. I don't think his stock can be any higher than today, specially if he has to join another program.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
jamarcus russell oozed talent also

if you've watched jones' last 3 games, you would have seen that he's an erratic thrower who would need to improve a heck of a lot to succeed in the NFL

saying that he's gonna be a better pro than mariota is pure speculation based on nothing tangible

Jamarcus had a problem with drugs. As far we all know he doesnt have that problem. Not sure why everyone is so high on Mariota, if we are just going basely on field play, Winston is the superior pro prospect. Whether he gets drafted before him will be based on background checks and interviews.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The success rate of Qbs with less than two years of starting experience in college isn't very good. Can't imagine what the success rate of a QB with 3 starts would be.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Jamarcus had a problem with drugs. As far we all know he doesnt have that problem. Not sure why everyone is so high on Mariota, if we are just going basely on field play, Winston is the superior pro prospect. Whether he gets drafted before him will be based on background checks and interviews.

As well as weighing 300+ lbs. & not really having anything but his arm going for him. :laugh:

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
jamarcus went #1 for a reason [and it wasn't the raiders' stupidity :)]

winston is big ben-ish to me
mariota is aaron rodgers lite
[based on the best possible outcomes clearly for them]

they both have the big league arms, but so did jeff george...

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Mariota doesn't have Rodgers' arm, but then again Aaron Rodgers didn't have Aaron Rodgers' arm when he was coming out of college.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The success rate of Qbs with less than two years of starting experience in college isn't very good. Can't imagine what the success rate of a QB with 3 starts would be.

Ride the hype! If I'm this kid, I'll bolt. Yeah he only played three games, but he looked dynamite playing against some pretty legitimate teams on pretty big stages. I don't know how he'll fare at the next level, but look at a guy like Matt Cassel. He never started a game in college and only attempted 33 passes in four years. He was drafted in the 7th round and has had a nice career.

With the rookie pay scale the way it is, why not just get out, get drafted wherever, and roll the dice. It isn't like the old days where you'd get $50 million if you are a #1 pick. The difference between number 1 and number 100 is not all that different. It's all about getting to the next contract. Even if he goes undrafted I'm sure he can find a home.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Cassel backed up two Heisman winners and at least played (had experience) in a pro system. Urban could plug you into his system and probably win a couple games.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Cassel backed up two Heisman winners and at least played (had experience) in a pro system. Urban could plug you into his system and probably win a couple games.

Oh I'm not saying the kid will be any good in the NFL, I'm saying if I were him I'd ride the hype and declare. Even if he sucks ultimately he'll still get some dough out of it. It isn't like if he stays in college another year (possibly as a backup depending on how things shake out with Barrett and Miller) he's going to be that much better of a QB overall in the end. Plus he risks getting injured and being in no better position just a year older with injury problems.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Oh I'm not saying the kid will be any good in the NFL, I'm saying if I were him I'd ride the hype and declare. Even if he sucks ultimately he'll still get some dough out of it. It isn't like if he stays in college another year (possibly as a backup depending on how things shake out with Barrett and Miller) he's going to be that much better of a QB overall in the end. Plus he risks getting injured and being in no better position just a year older with injury problems.

He probably will honestly. He had to go to prep school for a year after high school before going to OSU. He also had the infamous tweet about his thoughts on school.

If you combine that with his age & the fact he may have to battle it out with Barrett at camp this offseason he may just bolt to the NFL where he'll have to do the same but get paid on top of it & be able to focus only on football.

He's got a tough call to make, stay & potentially lose out to Barrett again in camp or strike while the iron is hot get drafted & get your reps at the NFL level as a backup opposed to the college level.

Last edited:

TheSpectrum

Oct 18, 2011
He probably will honestly. He had to go to prep school for a year after high school before going to OSU. He also had the infamous tweet about his thoughts on school.

If you combine that with his age & the fact he may have to battle it out with Barrett at camp this offseason he may just bolt to the NFL where he'll have to do the same but get paid on top of it & be able to focus only on football.

He's got a tough call to make, stay & potentially lose out to Barrett again in camp or strike while the iron is hot get drafted & get your reps at the NFL level as a backup opposed to the college level.
if Braxton Miller bolts I think he is more than capable of beating out JT Barrett for the position.

I don't think he can beat out Braxton Miller & JT Barrett if they all decide to stay

Underclassmen have until Thursday to declare. he is going to have to gamble here. If he decides to stay and they all return he might be kicking himself come preseason

Very tough call

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
if Braxton Miller bolts I think he is more than capable of beating out JT Barrett for the position.

I don't think he can beat out Braxton Miller & JT Barrett if they all decide to stay

Underclassmen have until Thursday to declare. he is going to have to gamble here. If he decides to stay and they all return he might be kicking himself come preseason

Very tough call

Miller's pretty much a non-factor. He still hasn't thrown a ball yet & won't until the summer. He was already behind Barrett & Jones in terms of arms by a fair margin & now will be coming back after a major injury to it. If he still wants to be a QB it won't be at OSU.

As for Barrett vs. Jones, Barrett already beat him out once & had a very good first year. The least we forget Barrett had a great game against MSU which turned the season around.

It's far from a guarente that he would beat out Barrett this camp. If Jones loses again he's pretty much toast.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
No one ever accused Jerry Jones of being a sane person. :laugh:

I wouldn't be surprised if Romo & the defense regress back to their mean next year leaving Garrett's seat warm again.

Feb 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
Any chance the Eagles sign a big name free agent if any are available? I don't know anything about how much money they have to sign players but I'm curious about this. Although I got excited the last time they signed a big name at the time in Asomugha and that turned out real well. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think the last true stars they signed were TO and Kearse. and that was a decade ago. I originally thought Peters but they traded for him.

Owens wasn't even fully a FA signing since there was a trade between the Eagles, Ravens, & 49ers in the end.

Either way yeah they haven't done great if you want to count him or not in terms of top players out of FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad