OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Is there a plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
He is an unkonwn, so no reason screwing up the next 5-7 years of the franchise for him.

He's an unknown to you, but the organization has an idea as what's going on with him. It is a risk, no doubt about that. Even the best scouts in the world have been wrong.

But you have to look at it this way: if you are the GM/Coach/Scout/whatever in charge of this decision, if you think he is a stud QB and future MVP, you have to take that risk if it is available. Why wouldn't you? Hands down, no questions asked, QB is the most important position in sports. You can win without one, but that is the exception to the rule. If you want to put yourself in a position to win a championship or two...you start with a franchise QB. They don't have one now (and didn't in Foles). They can wait and maybe grab one somewhere else...but if you think Mariota is that guy, you have to take the chance. If he flops...that sucks and the franchise is set back for sure. But if you wait and hope that a franchise QB falls to you at some point...you probably aren't winning anything anyway.

I don't think they should trade for him just to make the trade. If they aren't sold that Mariota is the real deal, slam-dunk, franchise QB, then don't draft him. But if they think he is...how can you not make that move? The consequences are bad if he fails...but the reward is huge if it is successful. And again, are they winning a SB with Bradford? Foles? Hundley? Billy Volek? Probably not. So the team is still 4-5 years away from winning anything any way.

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
He's an unknown to you, but the organization has an idea as what's going on with him. It is a risk, no doubt about that. Even the best scouts in the world have been wrong.

But you have to look at it this way: if you are the GM/Coach/Scout/whatever in charge of this decision, if you think he is a stud QB and future MVP, you have to take that risk if it is available. Why wouldn't you? Hands down, no questions asked, QB is the most important position in sports. You can win without one, but that is the exception to the rule. If you want to put yourself in a position to win a championship or two...you start with a franchise QB. They don't have one now (and didn't in Foles). They can wait and maybe grab one somewhere else...but if you think Mariota is that guy, you have to take the chance. If he flops...that sucks and the franchise is set back for sure. But if you wait and hope that a franchise QB falls to you at some point...you probably aren't winning anything anyway.

I don't think they should trade for him just to make the trade. If they aren't sold that Mariota is the real deal, slam-dunk, franchise QB, then don't draft him. But if they think he is...how can you not make that move? The consequences are bad if he fails...but the reward is huge if it is successful. And again, are they winning a SB with Bradford? Foles? Hundley? Billy Volek? Probably not. So the team is still 4-5 years away from winning anything any way.
I'm on this boat. We draft mariota at all costs and if he succeeds, it's worth it as we have a elite franchise qb. Teams need elite qbs to win and I don't consider any of the guys(including Foles) as elite. I'd rather take that chance than be in the perpetual 2nd round playoff exit level of teams due to having a good but not great qb. Sure teams have won with average qbs in the past but the vast majority have had elite franchise guys, something that none of our qbs are now. If he fails then it's a regime change. Much rather a quick 2-3 year fail period if Mariota flops then go into rebuild than be stuck with a very good but not great team with a qb that can't get it done year after year. Sounds like an era not too long ago..

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Thats the way I see it. Ask yourself, can you win without and Elite Defensive End? Does 1 LB make or break the defense? Can you win without an Elite QB?

That line of questioning pretty much makes hte argument for me. If Chip thinks Mariota is an elite QB then do whatever it takes to get him and then work on everything else after that. Theres not one position in football that matters more. But if Chip sells as much as is being talked about in this thread for Mariota. The question then becomes is Mariota an Elite QB. Chip better be right in his assessment

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
Would i be okay with trading:
Boykin? Seeing as i expect them to draft multiple CBs, sure. I'll miss him and his INTs though.
Kendricks? If it would lead to Mariota, then sure. I'll really miss him though.
Cox? No. I'll be very upfront about that. He should be 100% off limits.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Thats the way I see it. Ask yourself, can you win without and Elite Defensive End? Does 1 LB make or break the defense? Can you win without an Elite QB?

That line of questioning pretty much makes hte argument for me. If Chip thinks Mariota is an elite QB then do whatever it takes to get him and then work on everything else after that. Theres not one position in football that matters more. But if Chip sells as much as is being talked about in this thread for Mariota. The question then becomes is Mariota an Elite QB. Chip better be right in his assessment

Been a lurker on this thread a bit over the last couple of days, sort of a de-facto Eagles fan since my life-long best friend (and former roommate) is a huge Philly fan.

I would think that if there's ANYONE whose word should be trusted on Mariota, it should be Chip. I'm a big fan of Mariota myself and I want the Eagles to land him because I don't want to see his career potentially ruined by landing with Cleveland or, god help him, the Jets.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
Mike Miss is legitimately delusional. He's becoming more and more unlistenable throughout this entire pre-draft process.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
tumblr_mgqn2xw3C91r5ls6go1_500.gif

I think this applies for most of the reporters and radio personalities in the city.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'm out. I don't know what's going on. Somebody poke me on Sunday and tell me who we got.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
I want Mariota as much as the next guy, but when i see a statement like that, it comes across as overselling it. Either getting Mariota OR reinforcing the defense is a win-win scenario, if i had to pick one of the 2, i'd go for Mariota. But as long as we get good players, i'd be pretty happy regardless.

Mariota is not going to be a franchise QB if he goes to the Titans or the Browns. They won't know how to use him to the same extent that Chip will. Hell, it'd probably be better if the Browns got him. They would screw him up badly and it'd be that much easier to trade for him in a year or 2.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Redskins exercise their fifth year option (2016) on RGIII. He's not getting drafted by them, not that anyone ever actually thought he was.

Well that seals the deal then. But Washington has strength, because somebody might have to trade up before the Jets.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Eagles exercise Fletcher Cox's fifth year option and are rumored to be in negotiations with Sam Bradford regarding a contract extension with a possible NTC.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Eagles exercise Fletcher Cox's fifth year option and are rumored to be in negotiations with Sam Bradford regarding a contract extension with a possible NTC.

Man, so many crazy theories and rumors out there. Not surprised they picked up Cox's fifth year option, if they keep him--great, he's a good defensive player for them; if they trade him--also great, he's got 2 years left on his deal now.

I've wavered on my own personal beliefs if they'll ultimately make a move for Mariota. If, and only if, Kelly believes that Mariota is truly a franchise-changing QB, then they should do what they can to get him. If he only believes that he's a "pretty good QB", then they should probably just stay where they're at and shore up other areas.

As I mentioned before, my life-long best friend and former roommate (before I got engaged) is a huge Eagles fan, so I grew up watching them with him. I would like nothing more than to see Mariota reunited with Kelly and running wild on the rest of the NFL...but the price may ultimately be way too high.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
So.

Chris Mortensen is reporting that the Eagles have began extension talks w/ Bradford's people, and may also include a NTC for this season.

Do Eagles fans buy it? I'm not Mort's biggest fan, and I thought I remember reading that he had some of the information inaccurate as it pertained to the deflated footballs in the AFC Championship (and I did, here)

Could be some exciting stuff happening on Thursday...or it could be a rather dull night. I'm hoping Kelly gets his guy though.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
He'll be an Eagle next year, don't worry.

I think there were rumors of him being traded for like a 5th or 6th Rnd pick. Man, what a waste of a 3rd overall for the Dolphins. Hell, didn't they trade up to get that?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
He'll be an Eagle next year, don't worry.

I think there were rumors of him being traded for like a 5th or 6th Rnd pick. Man, what a waste of a 3rd overall for the Dolphins. Hell, didn't they trade up to get that?

yeah they jumped the eagles to get him. Similar to how the Saints jumped over the eagles to get Brandin Cooks.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
So.

Chris Mortensen is reporting that the Eagles have began extension talks w/ Bradford's people, and may also include a NTC for this season.

Do Eagles fans buy it? I'm not Mort's biggest fan, and I thought I remember reading that he had some of the information inaccurate as it pertained to the deflated footballs in the AFC Championship (and I did, here)

Could be some exciting stuff happening on Thursday...or it could be a rather dull night. I'm hoping Kelly gets his guy though.

I mean I believe there is truth to the Eagles trying to get an extension worked out. If they can't find a way to get Mariota then Bradford is their man.

However, the timing is awfully peculiar. There's not shot in hell that the Eagles would agree to a contract with Bradford BEFORE the draft. Say Mariota falls to 20 but now the Eagles just signed Bradford so they're stuck with him. It could be one of many camps that are trying to put rumors out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad