OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Draft Month (First Round - April 29th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe

Galina's very good. I think Rattler's probably the most likely QB1. I'm not a big Howell fan, but that offense is AWFUL schematically and from an entertainment standpoint. I'm most interested in Rattler and Slovis, but I don't think I've ever seen Malik Willis play.

I really don't think the league will be big on King. Your home run prayer is probably Jayden Daniels suddenly learning how to be a QB.

Seeing this lad rated highly made me confused. Then I saw some highlights on YouTube and I understood the early hype.

But still can't deter me from hoping for my guy.

r770720_1296x729_16-9.jpg

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Galina's very good. I think Rattler's probably the most likely QB1. I'm not a big Howell fan, but that offense is AWFUL schematically and from an entertainment standpoint. I'm most interested in Rattler and Slovis, but I don't think I've ever seen Malik Willis play.

I really don't think the league will be big on King. Your home run prayer is probably Jayden Daniels suddenly learning how to be a QB.

Real shame this isn't a great QB class...would love to use those 3 #1s in the most baller way possible.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Not sure why we're looking at QBs when we have Jalen Hurts

I just like options. Since I (and seemingly the Eagles) aren't totally sold on Hurts yet, I'd like to at least know there'd be a guy whom we can take and maybe be the solution in the next draft class.

Then again, I also wanted Fields at 10 so you can see what I think of Hurts right now.

Reactions: DancingPanther

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I just like options. Since I (and seemingly the Eagles) aren't totally sold on Hurts yet, I'd like to at least know there'd be a guy whom we can take and maybe be the solution in the next draft class.

Then again, I also wanted Fields at 10 so you can see what I think of Hurts right now.
I was being sarcastic. Hurts is trash

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Haha. Sorry - couldn't tell.

Carry-on.
It's all good man I don't really post enough in this thread for my opinions to be known.

As far as I'm concerned, NFL QBs don't get rendered impotent by a single spying LB. Took the league 3 weeks to figure Jalen out. This next season with Hurts at the helm will be a beautiful disaster which Howie will survive under the guise of the team "learning the new coaches' schemes"

Reactions: Schwarbomb

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's a rebuild. They'll give Hurts a year to show he has anything.
But first build the team, then worry about a QB - as TB showed, if you build a good enough team, zombie Tom Brady can win a SB.
Or as Mahomes showed, no matter how good the QB, if you can't pass block he's dead meat.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It's a rebuild. They'll give Hurts a year to show he has anything.
But first build the team, then worry about a QB - as TB showed, if you build a good enough team, zombie Tom Brady can win a SB.
Or as Mahomes showed, no matter how good the QB, if you can't pass block he's dead meat.
Exactly. I think unless he plays TERRIBLY this year or they are in a spot where someone truly outstanding is there for them to pick, he's going to be here a while. I think the Eagles will be in the 6-8 win range next year which will take the QB need off the table and put any "lock" QB out of reach, unless one of their other picks winds up being near the top, but at that point if they are 8-8 or even 6-10 with Hurts at the helm on what everyone knows is a rebuilding team, will they draft a QB even if one is there?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Much ado about nothing imo. I don't believe there's any GM, in any sport, that would willingly concede to a full-on rebuild. I know the easy answer might be that NYR press release where they basically said that, but that was unusual. Just about any GM will say something along the lines of "we want to be a good team as quickly as possible". Now it's about how they go about it. If Howie goes out and gets them into cap hell again, then he f***ed up (again).

But as much as I'm on the "fire Howie" train most of the time, I won't begrudge him with that quote in that tweet.

Reactions: Schwarbomb

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Much ado about nothing imo. I don't believe there's any GM, in any sport, that would willingly concede to a full-on rebuild. I know the easy answer might be that NYR press release where they basically said that, but that was unusual. Just about any GM will say something along the lines of "we want to be a good team as quickly as possible". Now it's about how they go about it. If Howie goes out and gets them into cap hell again, then he f***ed up (again).

But as much as I'm on the "fire Howie" train most of the time, I won't begrudge him with that quote in that tweet.

Also, I mean I don't think Howie can say that with any truth we won't be competing since this division isn't particularly good. Hell, we would've won the division had we played Hurts even 1 more game earlier. Dak being out is what evened it (most likely), but that Cowboy defense was really bad.

We'll probably have a better shot at the division than people think this year, but fail.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

It's just a potshot at deadhead for his view of Howie and how "Howie has acknowledged this is a rebuild and that's what he does best!" while at the same time disregarding examples of meddling because they weren't out of the horses mouth.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Brady was pretty damn good last year. This whole thing is so weird. If you don't have excellent quarterback play, you have no shot unless your goal is to make the playoffs. Think of how off the rails discussion has to be for me to defend Tom Brady.

The Chiefs' OL was destroyed by injury and a COVID opt out. There's no lesson there unless it's that injuries are bad or you can't have a non-functional line.

The idea that Hurts can only either be the starter going forward or absolutely terrible makes no sense to me. The whole point of rushing QBs is that it raises their floor more than it raises their ceiling. I guess you could argue a Vick or Lamar Jackson type raises his ceiling as much with that kind of dynamism, but that's not Jalen Hurts.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Brady was pretty damn good last year. This whole thing is so weird. If you don't have excellent quarterback play, you have no shot unless your goal is to make the playoffs. Think of how off the rails discussion has to be for me to defend Tom Brady.

The Chiefs' OL was destroyed by injury and a COVID opt out. There's no lesson there unless it's that injuries are bad or you can't have a non-functional line.

The idea that Hurts can only either be the starter going forward or absolutely terrible makes no sense to me. The whole point of rushing QBs is that it raises their floor more than it raises their ceiling. I guess you could argue a Vick or Lamar Jackson type raises his ceiling as much with that kind of dynamism, but that's not Jalen Hurts.

My point on Mahomes is simply a top QB can't win without help.

Brady had all day to throw and wide open targets, and a defense which meant he didn't have to force anything - most competent veteran QBs would look good in that situation.

You build the team first, especially the OL, before you get a young QB.
If you have a great team, you can plug in a veteran and win now or give a young QB every chance to succeed.
Put a young QB behind a sieve with mediocre skill players and he'll be running for his life - what we saw last season and on almost every bad team.

This is why AR brought Pederson to play QB while McNabb sat on the bench, let the veteran get the shit beat out of him for a nice payday.

Fortunately for Hurts, the Eagle OL looks like it may return to its previous record of excellence, and Smith, Reagor and Goedert, with a receivers at RB should provide him with a fair chance at showing that he can grow into the job.

How good is Hurts? I don't know. He is raw, learning to read NFL defenses, but has a good enough arm (not a rocket launcher, but throws a nice deep ball with tough, defenses can't crowd him). The running is both an advantage and a curse, he has to learn not to depend on it, but have it in reserve, like an ace up his sleeve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad