OT: Philadelphia Eagles: It’ll Take More Than A Few Bounces To Knock Our Crown Off Part Eight

Status
Not open for further replies.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I'm sure Wentz's knee injury had a fair deal with not getting the reps needed to work on footwork. Focus was probably more on rehab than reps.

He should get time this year to do some work there.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
"And while they have roughly similar pressure rates since the start of 2017, and get the ball out about as fast as one another, Wentz has been sacked on 6.2 percent of his dropbacks. Foles is at 3.8 percent."

"The Andy Reid draftee was sacked only once on Sunday, when Leonard Floydtook him down after a low snap on Philadelphia's first possession. Foles' 2.4 percent sack rate was the second lowest for any Bears opponent this season, trailing only Brock Osweiler, who wasn't sacked once in a game in which Khalil Mack suffered an injury."

Barnwell: Destroying myths about the eight NFL playoff teams

Reactions: JXC

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Wentz holds onto the ball too long. Has anyone argued to the contrary? That's part of the deal with his style.

Jojo, have you stats for this? I cannot find any good QB stats.

Sorry for the delay, my friend.

Passing Stats | NFL Next Gen Stats

Play around with this page a bit. If there's something specific you can't find, I'd be happy to help further if I can.

you keep talking about " last year" Last year was an acl tear away. There was nothing about Wentz this year that looked like last year.

And in regards to the defense playing better and carsons Stats. This team has sucked in the first half of games this year, and have relied heavily on teams playing prevent defense in order for us to score and carson to rack up stats. The defense in the dallas game gave up 500 plus yards because Carson could not string together multiple first down drives. It was either punt or turnover in the first 3 quarters of that game. Foles has shown time and time again that he can string together long drives that may not result in points, but result in a change in field position and gets the defense off the field.

This whole year we have shot ourselves in the foot time and time again with Wentz in the first half. We sucked , and always got behind. The only team we beat that was worth a damn was the colts and that was when they were struggling early in the season. Since Foles has come on we have beaten the 2 of the 3 best nfc teams and the 3rd best afc team. Its really not hard to understand what is occurring here.

I don't even know where to start.

The offense was terrible in the second Dallas game. Why does one game mean everything? Why is it that one and not the defense going completely off the reservation time and time again? Why isn't Tampa most illustrative if we're picking one game?

You've planted your flag in a take where Nick Foles is responsible for the difference between the Tennessee and Carolina defensive collapses down the stretch and yesterday's game, not the huge amount of personnel turnover in the secondary. Why didn't whatever pixie dust Foles sprinkled onto the Secondary make the LBs play better? Rasul Douglas was TREMENDOUS in this game. Specifically, how was that Nick Foles?

Serious question: How would you judge the pass rush yesterday?

Last edited:

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
That Elliott kick off was eerily similar to the one Henerey made against the Saints in 2014 that pretty much ended our hopes that year.

It wasnt even that great of a return by Cohen, it was just a shitty kick that would have cost us the game had it not been for Hester's fingers.

Reactions: JXC and Lotusflower

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
That Elliott kick off was eerily similar to the one Henerey made against the Saints in 2014 that pretty much ended our hopes that year.

It wasnt even that great of a return by Cohen, it was just a ****ty kick that would have cost us the game had it not been for Hester's fingers.
some dude (too lazy to research) blew the tackle too...so...

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I'm talking pretty much across the board, if you see it as a scientific finding that's reported on the Today Show, or your local news, or mentioned on a cooking program, ignore it. It's likely to be a minute, heavily-qualified, mostly-circumstantial finding that the university's PR program scraped into the press release as a way of bringing attention to an otherwise marginal or boring piece of research. Alcohol is bad for your heart, period: It raises your blood pressure, weakens your muscles (heart included), and increases risk of heart attack and stroke.

Certain alcohols consumed in low amounts (like, lower than most people realistically consume) over long periods of time can eventually contribute to certain positives, but those are easily reproduced by other nutrients without the offsetting negatives that alcohol has on the rest of your body. Notions like "Hey the Italians and French have lower incidence of heart failure and they drink lots of wine!" has more to do with historical access to fresh foods, a diet higher in good oils, vegetables, and fish than red meat, and a less-sedentary lifestyle. But Hoda and Kathie Lee aren't going to spend their 3 minutes on a Wednesday morning railing against Perdue, Longhorn Steakhouse, and American driving habits, now are they?

Science has a real problem with these catchy headlines that infiltrate popular media, since most media outlets outside of the industry are just going to parrot a university's press release or reinforce a common myth rather than vetting the actual science or interviewing a cardiologist. That's hard work, your interns don't have time for that ****.

Considered! I have, though, found multiple medical journals that house research finding that red wine especially has anti-inflammatory properties and is a potent anti-oxidant.

Red wine: A drink to your heart

Do you find a particular issue with this entry?

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
Wentz holds onto the ball too long. Has anyone argued to the contrary? That's part of the deal with his style.

Play around with this page a bit. If there's something specific you can't find, I'd be happy to help further if I can.
FDBA98DA-E200-4AA0-8B5B-487BC0E7672F.jpeg
DDD2D666-9978-4157-A717-1BD87438BD6A.jpeg
73F75190-8130-4C18-8313-F287A240848B.jpeg

83DC1BEB-8C3A-41FC-A850-B98DDFBC1F1C.jpeg

FASCINATING!!!

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

I don't even know where to start.

The offense was terrible in the second Dallas game. Why does one game mean everything? Why is it that one and not the defense going completely off the reservation time and time again? Why isn't Tampa most illustrative if we're picking one game?

You've planted your flag in a take where Nick Foles is responsible for the difference between the Tennessee and Carolina defensive collapses down the stretch and yesterday's game, not the huge amount of personnel turnover in the secondary. Why didn't whatever pixie dust Foles sprinkled onto the Secondary make the LBs play better? Rasul Douglas was TREMENDOUS in this game. Specifically, how was that Nick Foles?

Serious question: How would you judge the pass rush yesterday?

eagles up 17-10 against tennessee.

Carson fumbles 17-13, carson goes 3 and out , 20-17.

the last 3 drives against Carolina were a 6 and out in which wentz gets sacked, a 3 and out, and 4 play drive that ended on him fumbling yet again.

seems taht the collapses by the defense were the result of the inability of the eagles to move the ball during crucial moments and get the defense off the field.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Considered! I have, though, found multiple medical journals that house research finding that red wine especially has anti-inflammatory properties and is a potent anti-oxidant.

Red wine: A drink to your heart

Do you find a particular issue with this entry?

Ooh, taking me back to my old job, I love it. Here's the 5-minute glance with a lot of f5ing:

It's a speculative lit review looking at the antioxidant qualities of red wine, rather than the cumulative impact of wine in human beings over any period of time. All of the active studies they cite look at de-alcoholized red wine.

The researchers pay passing lip service to actual alcoholic wine: "Several epidemiological studies suggest that moderate alcohol intake, especially red wine, decreases cardiac mortality due to atherosclerosis." The word "suggest" is several rungs below phrases like "have demonstrated a clear link between" in science-speak.

So, a literature review out of an Indian pharmacy school indicates that certain antioxidants (which are not exclusive to red wine) present in de-alcoholized Greek red wine might be preventative against arterial hardening. From there, you have to look into the cited studies that produce the word "suggest," and the methodologies of those studies, and the cohorts involved, the other effects detected, other controlling factors like additional diet, daily exercise, outcomes, credibility...

Science is complicated. It's sexier to say "wine may have protective heart benefits" than it is to say "certain antioxidants, namely resveratrol, contained within wine may have healthy heart benefits (that may or may not outweigh the negative effects of the alcohol and sugars in wine) in certain populations when combined with these dietary metrics at this exercise standard." Hence the title of your posted study: It's all fine science, but it adds nothing to the knowledge base other than a title built to bounce around Buzzfeed and local news for a week.

So yes, good antioxidants are good for heart health, and wine contains some of those good antioxidants...but there's never been a long-term, controlled cohort study that isolates just the health effects of wine, so it's hard to declare any net benefit. It's myth based on truth, basically, or truth with ten asterisks and a lot of fine print.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Ooh, taking me back to my old job, I love it. Here's the 5-minute glance with a lot of f5ing:

It's a speculative lit review looking at the antioxidant qualities of red wine, rather than the cumulative impact of wine in human beings over any period of time. All of the active studies they cite look at de-alcoholized red wine.

The researchers pay passing lip service to actual alcoholic wine: "Several epidemiological studies suggest that moderate alcohol intake, especially red wine, decreases cardiac mortality due to atherosclerosis." The word "suggest" is several rungs below phrases like "have demonstrated a clear link between" in science-speak.

So, a literature review out of an Indian pharmacy school indicates that certain antioxidants (which are not exclusive to red wine) present in de-alcoholized Greek red wine might be preventative against arterial hardening. From there, you have to look into the cited studies that produce the word "suggest," and the methodologies of those studies, and the cohorts involved, the other effects detected, other controlling factors like additional diet, daily exercise, outcomes, credibility...

Science is complicated. It's sexier to say "wine may have protective heart benefits" than it is to say "certain antioxidants, namely resveratrol, contained within wine may have healthy heart benefits (that may or may not outweigh the negative effects of the alcohol and sugars in wine) in certain populations when combined with these dietary metrics at this exercise standard." Hence the title of your posted study: It's all fine science, but it adds nothing to the knowledge base other than a title built to bounce around Buzzfeed and local news for a week.

So yes, good antioxidants are good for heart health, and wine contains some of those good antioxidants...but there's never been a long-term, controlled cohort study that isolates just the health effects of wine, so it's hard to declare any net benefit. It's myth based on truth, basically, or truth with ten asterisks and a lot of fine print.

Awesome! I appreciate the expert interpretation, very informative.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
eagles up 17-10 against tennessee.

Carson fumbles 17-13, carson goes 3 and out , 20-17.

the last 3 drives against Carolina were a 6 and out in which wentz gets sacked, a 3 and out, and 4 play drive that ended on him fumbling yet again.

seems taht the collapses by the defense were the result of the inability of the eagles to move the ball during crucial moments and get the defense off the field.
That is hilariously biased and not worth typing in the first place.

It’s like you don’t even want to have a legitimate discussion.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Awesome! I appreciate the expert interpretation, very informative.

Which is to say, don't stop drinking wine, alcohol rules! But do lots of other healthy things also!

I just made the choice, as a writer with a f***ed up sleep schedule, an outsized tolerance and appetite for alcohol, a mostly-sedentary lifestyle, and a recently-kicked decade-long smoking habit that I needed to get my health together. Lots of other adjustments to make, but I figured the first thing to do was to stop guzzling cheap beer every time the Eagles or Flyers were playing. Hence, replacing with a couple sodas: My response to drinking two sodas is usually "maybe I should brush my teeth and go to bed" rather than "maybe I should drink four more sodas, smoke six or seven cigarettes, and listen to Stan Rogers while writing mostly-incoherent short stories until 3AM."

Anyway, if the Eagles make it to the Super Bowl again I hope they bring Gritty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Straw

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Haskins declares. Legit arm talent, my concern would be mobility & throwing outside the pocket.

I'm worried about his ball placement down the field too, but to be fair, he's just not asked to do it much. He's downright excellent on 5-15 yarders though, especially in the middle of the field. I hope he works with someone who has a history of cleaning up mechanics. His release point can really drop.

I'm glad he declared, as now we can get some super weird scenarios toward the top of this draft. Between the Raiders, Jags, and Giants, the recipe is there.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
the problem this year is that wentz of last year never showed up, and people were unwilling to admit that. The reason why the playbook may have expanded with Wentz was his ability to extend the play and look for more agggressive options. That ability that made him so special last year is also what limited him so much this year. Wentz was a statue back there and because of his willingness to extend plays and look for bigger plays he got sacked, and fumbled quite frequently. Meanwhile Foles gets rid of if it in a decisisve fashion. That is the biggest difference between these two. Wentz hasn't adjusted to his own limitations yet. Foles on the other hand is much more aware of what he can and can't do on the football field. The 2nd pick was bad, but they were going against the best defense in the league. I take that performance all day everyday .

Your criticism is fair, but the reality is this team has looked significantly better with Foles playing qb this year. Everyone sees it, and is willing to acknowledge it. I and @Cody Webster have been begging this team to play foles all season after Wentz really struggled. Once Foles starting playing, this team resembled the juggernaut of last season. Foles is going to have to play better going forward, and I have no doubt that he will knowing that there is not another defense like that left in the playoffs. Now we won't be as one dimensional. Hopefully we can really start opening the playbook up once we get the running game going and kill teams with play action in which foles is great at.

Wasn't me!!! At least I don't think it was. And I probably wasn't being serious lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad