OT: Philadelphia 76ers: Taking Our Talents To The Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
they have a glut of guards which doesn't even include jj or marco who could easily be back, or a potential trade target like kemba walker or bradley beal. simmonds, fultz, tj, bayless, korkmaz, and yet they still felt the need to add three guards tonight with their three picks. if you don't find that a little bit interesting if nothing else i don't know what to say to you.

unless shamet was a draft night trade that hasn't been reported yet he is going nowhere. they had a pick at 38 but rather than risk not getting him they took him on a guaranteed first round contract at 26 which means they obviously like him a lot.

i'm not pigeon holing guys into anything and your last comment was rich since you obviously know very little about the guys they drafted. smith might be able to play some 3 but at 6'4 even as good defender he will have difficulty matching up with a lot of 3's who are 6'8, 6'9. shamet is a combo guard who despite having the height at 6'6 isn't going to match up with 3's because he isn't a great athlete, he can handle or play off the ball and is a similar player to shaun liviningston. milton didn't even play much 3 in college, he played more point than 3 and also played a lot of 2. again, he isn't a great athlete so he isn't going to match up well with most 3's in the league.

i already addressed all of this and posted the necessary correct information about the players the sixers drafted above. they didn't draft a single wing. they drafted a combo guard who is a shooter, a 2 guard who is a shooter, and a 2 guard who is a great perimeter defender who at 6'4 can only play a little bit of 3 if opposing teams go small.

that is flat out incorrect and a desperate reach to prove your point. they could have had a lottery talent in robert williams at 26 who is a 4/5 and instead took yet another guard in shamet.

obviously it does, about as ridiculous as you putting words into my mouth and missing my point. sadly i have to explain this to you and will.

bb went on and on about that 2021 pick being a major trade chip to land a star player. this is not the first time in months time that he mentioned the team needs to add a star player. it's going to take more than just that pick and based on where the team is deep and where they aren't a guy like fultz or covington could be a trade piece.
add that to the fact that there was a report that fultz was a colangelo pick who others in the organization didn't like, and the fact that the team added three guards tonight and it's easy to speculate.

i never said those guys made fultz expendable, nor did i say that fultz would definitely be traded. i simply theorized that maybe the organization isn't all that high on fultz and based on the reports, comments, and moves they are making and maybe they see him as a potential trade piece to land a star player.
All that finger exercise dedicated to speculation.
They have 11 guys under contract next year and Bayless may get moved (likely?). They drafted 3 players.

I was more so talking about Milton but Shamet could be moved in a Summer trade if they wanted to.

PJ Tucker was playing Center in the Western Conference Finals. Are we still pigeon holing guys into one position? Are you watching actual games?

Smith has a 6'10 wingspan and is a great athlete. He can play 2 or 3 offensively and 1-3 defensively. Milton has a 7-1 wingspan. He's going to be a pretty versatile guy if he sees the court. Shamet is going to be a combo guard that will probably play off the ball here. And again for the latter two, if they even crack the rotation, it's a win.

If you noticed, after the top 6 there weren't many bigs in this draft. This draft was all wings/guards.

You already said that.

Landry Shamet and Shake Milton make Markelle Fultz expandable. Does that not sound ridiculous?
This and your last post are quality content.
People are still blind-sided by the trade.
Everybody got deadset on the local kid who just won the national championship and now comes the flurry of speculation because BB couldnt possibly trade Villanova's golden calf for anything less than a top 5 player.....

Reactions: FLYguy3911

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
hmmmm, so zhaire smith said brett brown sees him as a shooting guard in the nba, how about that. just like i said, great athlete or not at only 6'4 he will primarily be a 2 at the nba level due to several similarly athletic players playing the 3 in the nba being in the 6'7 - 6'9 range.

Zhaire Smith’s comments after Sixers trade for him

Q. Why do you think the
Kawhi Leonard comparisons were made, and why do you think Coach Brown felt you about that?
Probably because Kawhi in college he was like a 4 and he turned him into a wing. I guess he looked forward to turning me into a shooting guard. And he just liked me for defense, too.

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
they have a glut of guards which doesn't even include jj or marco who could easily be back, or a potential trade target like kemba walker or bradley beal. simmonds, fultz, tj, bayless, korkmaz, and yet they still felt the need to add three guards tonight with their three picks. if you don't find that a little bit interesting if nothing else i don't know what to say to you.
After Wendell Carter a grand total of 8 bigs went in the draft. EIGHT. And one went right before their pick. This was a draft heavy on wings. The numbers are pretty staggering.

i'm not pigeon holing guys into anything and your last comment was rich since you obviously know very little about the guys they drafted. smith might be able to play some 3 but at 6'4 even as good defender he will have difficulty matching up with a lot of 3's who are 6'8, 6'9. shamet is a combo guard who despite having the height at 6'6 isn't going to match up with 3's because he isn't a great athlete, he can handle or play off the ball and is a similar player to shaun liviningston. milton didn't even play much 3 in college, he played more point than 3 and also played a lot of 2. again, he isn't a great athlete so he isn't going to match up well with most 3's in the league.
But I'm sure he'll thrive against 1's and 2's then. Yes I'm the one who knows very little. :laugh:

Zhaire Smith was playing against bigs in college. Do we really think he'll have trouble with "a lot of 3's"? He's going to be able to guard multiple positions.

What you seem to be missing is there are two sides of the court so a guy can be a "3" offensively but guard "2's" defensively. And that Ben Simmons guy can defend any position on the court. So while he's the PG by definition, defensively he'll play anywhere and that makes the pieces fit much easier. VESRATILITY is key and that's what they are trying to do.

that is flat out incorrect and a desperate reach to prove your point. they could have had a lottery talent in robert williams at 26 who is a 4/5 and instead took yet another guard in shamet.
Yes. The lottery talent that fell all the way to 27. I wonder why?

Williams never worked out for the Sixers. All 3 guys the Sixers took worked out for them.

obviously it does, about as ridiculous as you putting words into my mouth and missing my point. sadly i have to explain this to you and will.

bb went on and on about that 2021 pick being a major trade chip to land a star player. this is not the first time in months time that he mentioned the team needs to add a star player. it's going to take more than just that pick and based on where the team is deep and where they aren't a guy like fultz or covington could be a trade piece.
add that to the fact that there was a report that fultz was a colangelo pick who others in the organization didn't like, and the fact that the team added three guards tonight and it's easy to speculate.

i never said those guys made fultz expendable, nor did i say that fultz would definitely be traded. i simply theorized that maybe the organization isn't all that high on fultz and based on the reports, comments, and moves they are making and maybe they see him as a potential trade piece to land a star player.
Brett Brown also said they are into Star Developing.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
PG - Simmons, TJ
SG - Fultz, Smith, Shamet
SF - Covington, Anderson
PF - Saric, Bolden
C - Embiid, Holmes

Still leaves Bayless, TLC, and Korkmaz, and the potential for Milton to make the team.

I also wouldnt completely rule out JJ, (and to a lesser degree) Marco, or Ilya returning depending on what happens with free agency and trades. Either way, just speculating, but I expect this roster to look a lot different in about two weeks.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
if this rebuild results in a major failure, this failure results in all the miss picks by both gms and brett brown in this draft, not taking giannis, trading for noel, not taking porzingis and picking okafor, not taking tatum and picking fultz and now trading bridges and taking smith.

imagine if we had all those players instead of hinkie, bc, bb, tring to outsmart themselves over picking players that's best for the organization over talent. we could be the beast of the east instead we are outside, looking in because they are inconvenient.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
if this rebuild results in a major failure, this failure results in all the miss picks by both gms and brett brown in this draft, not taking giannis, trading for noel, not taking porzingis and picking okafor, not taking tatum and picking fultz and now trading bridges and taking smith.

imagine if we had all those players instead of hinkie, bc, bb, tring to outsmart themselves over picking players that's best for the organization over talent. we could be the beast of the east instead we are outside, looking in because they are inconvenient.
Giannis isn't a fair swipe. That was a pick no one could've perdicted, akin to Jimmy Butler (30th) or Kawhi Leonard (15th).

I'm in the conspiracy camp that management, spear-headed by O'Neil, would not let Hinkie draft Porzingis, and then would not let Hinkie deal Okafor when first inclined. Because marketing!

The Fultz/Tatum stuff is too new as well. Crappy as it is currently, the story is still being written.

I agree with you that if the Process fails (which I don't think it will based on Embiid & Simmons for stars, RoCo & TJ for fliers), it will have been due to incompetence of the highest proportions, shared among several individuals. The points you've laid out though are bad taeks.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
PG - Simmons, TJ
SG - Fultz, Smith, Shamet
SF - Covington, Anderson
PF - Saric, Bolden
C - Embiid, Holmes

Still leaves Bayless, TLC, and Korkmaz, and the potential for Milton to make the team.

I also wouldnt completely rule out JJ, (and to a lesser degree) Marco, or Ilya returning depending on what happens with free agency and trades. Either way, just speculating, but I expect this roster to look a lot different in about two weeks.

Yeah that combo here is all sorts of confusing. Fultz is the #1 SG? After the year and situation he just had involving his jumper?

I just looked up a Landry Shamet highlight vid and he looks exactly like a middle-ground between Redick and Belinelli. If he can even incrementally improve his D, he should get some solid bench minutes this year. Smith is unlike anyone else on their roster right now, the closest would be Anderson but we know what Anderson is. Zhaire's ceiling is sky high. I'm not saying he should be the starting 2-guard this year, but he easily could be someday.

What i see is a clusterf*** in the backcourt and nobody but Covington and Saric (and maybe Bolden) at the 3 and 4. What that says is that the deal for a star will include a couple of guards and a couple of future draft picks and the star that they acquire will play the 3 or 4.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Yeah that combo here is all sorts of confusing. Fultz is the #1 SG? After the year and situation he just had involving his jumper?

I just looked up a Landry Shamet highlight vid and he looks exactly like a middle-ground between Redick and Belinelli. If he can even incrementally improve his D, he should get some solid bench minutes this year. Smith is unlike anyone else on their roster right now, the closest would be Anderson but we know what Anderson is. Zhaire's ceiling is sky high. I'm not saying he should be the starting 2-guard this year, but he easily could be someday.

What i see is a cluster**** in the backcourt and nobody but Covington and Saric (and maybe Bolden) at the 3 and 4. What that says is that the deal for a star will include a couple of guards and a couple of future draft picks and the star that they acquire will play the 3 or 4.
Yep

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

What i see is a cluster**** in the backcourt and nobody but Covington and Saric (and maybe Bolden) at the 3 and 4. What that says is that the deal for a star will include a couple of guards and a couple of future draft picks and the star that they acquire will play the 3 or 4.

This has basically been the issue for me all along. One option was to address the forward position by drafting someone that would project as a starter (Bridges, Knox, or by some miracle Doncic). Run with that for this season and see what you have. The other option was to address that issue by trade or free agency. My preference was the first option, the Sixers are obviously going for the second.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
The optimistic in me really wants to see the real Fultz. If that guy shows up next year. This team wins 68 games

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm happy with Smith, Bridges was a better short-term fit, but has less upside, and Boston showed this team needed more quickness and athleticism on defense, Smith > Bridges in that regard.

Simmonds - Smith - Anderson - RoCo - Embiid on defense
Simmonds - Fultz - RoCo - Saric - Embiid on offense.

I think BB has to relax, last year was a bit flukey, driven by some veteran acquisitions and a hot streak, but they were exposed by Boston.
Embiid, Simmons and Fultz are two years away from getting it together, and they need to develop a younger bench that can grow together.
The window is opening, but it's not wide open quite yet.

Think of the difference when Embiid is actually in shape, practices with his teammates on a regular basis, Fultz re-learns how to shoot a 3 and adds 10 lbs, and Simmonds develops a mid-range jumper and learns to defend all five positions.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I keep hearing this is all a ploy to trade for KL.

After listening to an interview with Smite this morning, I almost hope we keep him if what he stated plays out. Basically, that he didn't really shoot much because he wasn't asked to, so during his workouts he shot a lot and the Sixers were impressed by it. Thinking he might play as a shooting guard.

I mean, the guy is a freak athlete, looks powerful around the rim, can move without the ball, can work the screens, and if he is a good shooter-- why not keep him?

If they do, the 1st time Ben catches him alone attacking the basket and Smith jumps on top of the rim, people will be excited.

Reactions: Rebels57

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
let's say the sixers don't get any of the big names this offseason, so no lebron, kawhi, pg13, beal, walker, etc. they are still going to add to the roster because they barely have anyone to play the 4 and 5 positions and the 3 is a little thin as well. it also probably means that jj will be back. so whether or not they trade fultz, or roco, or this or that, there are still some significant to huge moves that will be made over the next couple of moves. it also means that the roster isn't really balanced at all right now which all you have to do is look at in black and white to realize.

Reactions: JackStraw
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad