OT: Philadelphia 76ers: Taking Our Talents To The Offseason...Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I wouldn't write Fultz off anytime soon, he's a tremendous athlete, long arms, at worst he should be a top defender, ball handling point guard who can hit mid-range jump shots and beat most defenders off the dribble, at best, he regains his shooting touch and keeps improving, like many NBA stars (Jordan couldn't hit a 3 to save his life when he entered the league). He's got the eye to hand coordination and body control to be a top shooter, he may just need the 100,000 reps before he gets there.

This is Boston's last hurrah, next year they start running into cap issues, signing two big stars to big contracts will mean letting good players leave every season the next few years. Horford is 32, looks great opening game, let's see 100 games from now.

Meanwhile, Embiid is a unicorn, for the first time, he has no minutes limitation, the Embiid we see now and the Embiid we see in April will probably be different players, if he stays healthy, he'll play as many minutes this year as his entire NBA career so far. It's easy to forget how inexperienced Embiid and Simmons are, not to mention Fultz.

Shamet looked good to me, more athletic than expected, nice shooting form. A player to keep an eye on.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I just really don't understand the reasoning behind people castrating the FO for moving up for Fultz. In hindsight, is it going to go down as a bad move? Absolutely. But at the time, I think it made more than enough sense. If we got the player that we thought we were drafting, this discussion would be nowhere near as prevalent. We needed a combo guard who could create off the dribble and shoot from anywhere on the floor. That's exactly what Fultz was. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be who he is anymore. We got it wrong but I think it was a pretty fair guess at the time.

even if fultz hit , it was a massive overpayment.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
even if fultz hit , it was a massive overpayment.

Still not true. The general informed reaction was that Colangelo did well. The cost to trade up to 1 has historically been far more significant.

I feel dirty defending Colangelo, but you can't change what happened.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Still not true. The general informed reaction was that Colangelo did well. The cost to trade up to 1 has historically been far more significant.

I feel dirty defending Colangelo, but you can't change what happened.

I did not like the trade at the time, and I hate it now. Hopefully i posted about it back then so there is recorded proof of it. You make that deal , if you make it at all, after Boston's selection. Give that extra pick to the Lakers not to Celts. And as a general consensus don't trade with Ainge.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Hindsight is 20-20 but remember, Knicks fans booed the Porzingis pick. You think Philly fans would have been any different?
Ownership was scared of that exact scenario...despite Hinkie supposedly wanting Porzingis. Plus Porzingis' agent was being a douche...not that we couldn't have still drafted his client.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I did not like the trade at the time, and I hate it now. Hopefully i posted about it back then so there is recorded proof of it. You make that deal , if you make it at all, after Boston's selection. Give that extra pick to the Lakers not to Celts. And as a general consensus don't trade with Ainge.

Well...in all fairness you were on record not liking it.

It just sucks we may have a bust on our hands but there is some hope he can be salvaged but not near the level of Tatum. We whiffed pretty much....

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I guess in Fultz's case and him being consensus number one at the time....it shows that those who follow dont come in first. Celtics did their homework and fleeced us...I hate that org....and Ainge.

Reactions: Jtown

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
Worth noting, and I had forgotten this, Boston were healthy on Tuesday, while the Sixers were absent Muscala, Chandler, and Smith.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Well...in all fairness you were on record not liking it.

It just sucks we may have a bust on our hands but there is some hope he can be salvaged but not near the level of Tatum. We whiffed pretty much....

If he is salvaged , meaning he gets to his college level, he can be more effective for us than tatum is for the celts. My issues is that I don't think he is salvageable. What if he averages 10 points this year and hits less than 10 3 pointers. What do you do with him at that point?

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Worth noting, and I had forgotten this, Boston were healthy on Tuesday, while the Sixers were absent Muscala, Chandler, and Smith.

I'm not expecting Smith to contribute a whole lot this year but the other two would be in the rotation and are kind of important.

Reactions: JXC

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I guess in Fultz's case and him being consensus number one at the time....it shows that those who follow dont come in first. Celtics did their homework and fleeced us...I hate that org....and Ainge.

We have video proof of what his shot looked like at the time of the trade. Remember the workout where people were freaking out because his shot wasn't falling and half of Philadelphia media was there to shove a camera in his face and ask pointless questions?

I swear to god, everything about Fultz has just become whatever narrative side of the bed we wake up on today.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
We have video proof of what his shot looked like at the time of the trade. Remember the workout where people were freaking out because his shot wasn't falling and half of Philadelphia media was there to shove a camera in his face and ask pointless questions?

I swear to god, everything about Fultz has just become whatever narrative side of the bed we wake up on today.

no it hasn't. The moment Ben simmons came out and said He is a Starting Point Guard I knew this would be a bad fit. Fultz looks clueless without the ball in his hand,. You know who woud have complimented a Ben Simmons point guard led lineup? Jayson Tatum.

Pg Simmons
2g Reddick
sf Tatum
pf Cov/Sar
C Emvbiid

That line up you have one of the best passers in the league surrounded by 3 effective 3 point shooters and embiid. Also everyone but reddick is a plus on defense. That is one hell of a lineup.

I never questioned Fultz's talent. I always questioned his fit.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Stop feeding the troll. He contradicts himself with every post.
This time last year we started 0-3 and he claimed Ben Simmons should be moved off ball because he wasnt a good passer just a big with skills.

Now he's one of the best passers in the league? It took you a year to come to that conclusion?

Moral of the story is the team is young and will look very different 9 months from now. Stop jumping to conclusions in October.

Anyway, I'll be at this game and the next one.
Im kicking myself for not going all in on season tickets when they were dirt cheap during the Process.

Plan on going to ~50 games between Flyers and Sixers this year but I expect that'll be heavily weighted towards Flyers because of pricing

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I get tempted to jump in to this "debate" but then I remember that it's just like banging my head against a wall and I don't need the internet to do that.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Stop feeding the troll. He contradicts himself with every post.
This time last year we started 0-3 and he claimed Ben Simmons should be moved off ball because he wasnt a good passer just a big with skills.

Now he's one of the best passers in the league? It took you a year to come to that conclusion?

Moral of the story is the team is young and will look very different 9 months from now. Stop jumping to conclusions in October.

Anyway, I'll be at this game and the next one.
Im kicking myself for not going all in on season tickets when they were dirt cheap during the Process.

Plan on going to ~50 games between Flyers and Sixers this year but I expect that'll be heavily weighted towards Flyers because of pricing

did i really say simmons wasn't the best a good passer? I don't recall that.

edit. i may have said that he puts his fellow players in very awkward posiitio s with the ball. Shotclock running down , most players shoot. he will pass and a player will have tenths of second to get off a shot. I think that is one of those situations where he is reluctant to shoot and his reluctancy forces others into a bad spot. He also puts embiid in a bad spot.

There are great passers who can be ineffective and great passers that can be highly effecive.
mark jackson was a floor general, directing traffic not passing to the open man all the time but passing to the right man. I remember he and Smits would tango while Smits was posting up. Jackson would pound the rock for 5 seconds waiting for Smits to establish position and kill the offensive flow. it worked because both knew their roles. If anything I would like to see Simmonds become more of a floor general than a passer.

Last edited:

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Honestly I think the kid just needs to shoot and not care what happens. He needs to just play and stop thinking. I think the problem is he's worried about not being good enough. He needs to have a sit down with Jalen Mills so he can show him how to not give a shit haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca