OT: Philadelphia 76ers: Taking Our Talents To The Offseason...Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Forgetting just how much of this I disagree with, please tell me you see the irony in worrying that much about Simmons' FT shooting while simultaneously pumping up Lonzo Ball.

You can't disagree with Fact Jojo. By the time we had drafted Fultz we had no known commodities. Everytime i see Embiid go down i wince. compare Fultz to Ball's college stats. They are very similar in percentages but overall its clear that Fultz is a scorer and Ball is a facilitator. A fantastic Facilitator at that. Ball still has a great chance to become similar to Jason Kidd, maybe less so now that Lebron is in LA who will inevitably dominate the rock and slow down the pace. I don't worry about FT percentages all the time, What i do worry about is seeing a talented player become completely neutered for fear of going to the line especially in clutch moments. We don't have that player, and its one of the reasons we struggle so much down the stretch.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
You can't disagree with Fact Jojo. By the time we had drafted Fultz we had no known commodities. Everytime i see Embiid go down i wince. compare Fultz to Ball's college stats. They are very similar in percentages but overall its clear that Fultz is a scorer and Ball is a facilitator. A fantastic Facilitator at that. Ball still has a great chance to become similar to Jason Kidd, maybe less so now that Lebron is in LA who will inevitably dominate the rock and slow down the pace. I don't worry about FT percentages all the time, What i do worry about is seeing a talented player become completely neutered for fear of going to the line especially in clutch moments. We don't have that player, and its one of the reasons we struggle so much down the stretch.

No, the Kidd thing is still incredibly lazy. It reminds me of those draft takes saying Fultz was Wade with a jumper in that it shows complete misunderstanding of how players win.

Ball is nowhere close to the athlete Jason Kidd was pre-injury. What made the young Kidd special was combining the vision and passing with an explosive first step relative to the era allowing penetration, the strength to keep his handle in traffic, an elite ability to get to the line for a pass first PG, and the ability to somehow work as an initiator from the post as an NBA lead guard. Kidd went to the line twice as often as Ball in college. Oh and Kidd was an EXCELLENT defender at Cal and in the NBA. Not just good. Excellent. They weren't even in the same galaxy. Don't give me this lack of killer attitude stuff and then compare these two. One is a marshmallow who quits on screens and the other was a pitbull.

Ball is not a primary initiator in the NBA. He wasn't coming out and he isn't now. He's one of the handful of the best open floor playmakers I've ever seen and middling in the halfcourt. What he does do well in sets is play off-ball and in college, he was a surprisingly good shooter off the catch. For the record, I was willing to bet on that spot up shot translating, so it's not that I didn't like him.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Forgetting just how much of this I disagree with, please tell me you see the irony in worrying that much about Simmons' FT shooting while simultaneously pumping up Lonzo Ball.

Not to mention fretting about off-court issues while ignoring the Ball family soap opera.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
The reason we get beat by the Celtics every game is because it seems like at any point during a game, they have 4 guys on the court who can defend/create offense for themselves or others.

We have Simmons & Embiid surrounded by nothing but spot up players. There’s a ceiling to that.

Reactions: Ruck Over and Jtown

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
No, the Kidd thing is still incredibly lazy. It reminds me of those draft takes saying Fultz was Wade with a jumper in that it shows complete misunderstanding of how players win.

Ball is nowhere close to the athlete Jason Kidd was pre-injury. What made the young Kidd special was combining the vision and passing with an explosive first step relative to the era allowing penetration, the strength to keep his handle in traffic, an elite ability to get to the line for a pass first PG, and the ability to somehow work as an initiator from the post as an NBA lead guard. Kidd went to the line twice as often as Ball in college. Oh and Kidd was an EXCELLENT defender at Cal and in the NBA. Not just good. Excellent. They weren't even in the same galaxy. Don't give me this lack of killer attitude stuff and then compare these two. One is a marshmallow who quits on screens and the other was a pitbull.

Ball is not a primary initiator in the NBA. He wasn't coming out and he isn't now. He's one of the handful of the best open floor playmakers I've ever seen and middling in the halfcourt. What he does do well in sets is play off-ball and in college, he was a surprisingly good shooter off the catch. For the record, I was willing to bet on that spot up shot translating, so it's not that I didn't like him.

Sorry jojo that the jason kidd comparsion is not to your liking . Good thing i said he has a chance to become similar. Yes we all remember backcourt 2000 with penny. That was the wild west a far cry from the halfcourt east. Ball is bigger, faster, a better vertical. Those physical attributes can help him replicate a bit of what kidd did. But if in the halfcourt if all my pg does is play off the ball and hit 35 plus perent from 3 i am happy. Because Lonzo ball is not a scorer. he is going to play great d, lead a killer fast break and create space at halfcourt.

Lonzo ball hit 90 three's his rookie year. How many combined seasons do you think it will take fultz and simmons to hit that mark.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The reason we get beat by the Celtics every game is because it seems like at any point during a game, they have 4 guys on the court who can defend/create offense for themselves or others.

We have Simmons & Embiid surrounded by nothing but spot up players. There’s a ceiling to that.

We have zero players capable of consistently creating scoring chances for themselves at halfcourt. Embiid got destroyed by horford in the post, and simmonds loves shooting that fadeawy corner 15 footer that stevens encourages every chance he gets. THis is why hitting on Fultz was so important , because he would be the one guy that could create his own shot consistently at halfcourt.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We saw a disjointed team due to the disruption caused by the China trip.
I wouldn't even try to judge this team until November, it'll take a couple weeks and intensive practice to get them playing like a team.

Boston was at home, they're a very deep, talented team, and they have far more experience than the Sixers, not just the stars, but guys like Smart and Rozier.

Sixers got carried away by their finish, but they're a couple years away, Fultz and Simmonds have to learn to shoot, Embiid to play under control, Smith and Shamet to become solid bench pieces, Bolden to add the athletic big defender, etc. But this could be a killer defensive team by the end of the year, especially if Smith can play this spring, Fultz may need time to develop his offense but he has the athleticism to be a shut-down defender and the coach to teach him.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
I am not even remotely a Lonzo fan. Both guys have comparable upsides, the big difference being that one chucks up abysmal shots somewhat routinely and the other is so picky about his shot selection that he really does look afraid to shoot. Even with all the issues, i'd still take Fultz over Ball. He can be molded into what this team really needs even if it takes a while.

With all that being said, i'd take Tatum over both of them. And i second the notion that Tatum + Sac unprotected 1st for Fultz is one of the most atrocious basketball trades this decade.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I don't care about Hinkie anymore. Him taking Okafor 3rd overall is almost as bad as Colangelo's Fultz trade. (keyword: almost. still a fireable offense though)
You do understand boston gets another 1st? Colangelo screwed us for years to come. To get to the finals we have to go thru boston and I do not see that happening anytime soon. Do you?

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I just really don't understand the reasoning behind people castrating the FO for moving up for Fultz. In hindsight, is it going to go down as a bad move? Absolutely. But at the time, I think it made more than enough sense. If we got the player that we thought we were drafting, this discussion would be nowhere near as prevalent. We needed a combo guard who could create off the dribble and shoot from anywhere on the floor. That's exactly what Fultz was. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be who he is anymore. We got it wrong but I think it was a pretty fair guess at the time.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
How much of the Sixers dysfunction is actually of their doing? Colangelo was basically inserted by the league and left because of something his wife did.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Hinkie wanted Towns too. And tried to get him. Minnesota told everyone there were no negotiations to be had.

People talk about Hinkie like he took a Belichickian approach. That's completely misunderstanding the idea.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Hindsight is 20-20 but remember, Knicks fans booed the Porzingis pick. You think Philly fans would have been any different?
Because it wasn't Okafor, yes! There was mainstream support for Porzingis (Gargano on the radio), and there was a lack of out-right detest from the crazies (Spike & Mike were hard anti-Okafor, neutral to let's see about Porzingis).

I'm still of the belief Hinkie was forced to take Okafor by ownership.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
How much of the Sixers dysfunction is actually of their doing? Colangelo was basically inserted by the league and left because of something his wife did.
Real ownership individuals/groups don't let the league office dictate their executive selections. Can you see Robert Craft doing that in the NFL, or would Snyder have stood for it in the NHL, Steinbrener(sp) in MLB, Cuban in the NBA?

Reactions: Jtown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA