OT: Philadelphia 76ers: Taking Our Talents To The Offseason...Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
The knicks lack talent. I can’t think of anything that happened in their offseason that rivals the colangelo debacle

This offseason, no. Past offseasons, yes. And unless you think Colangelo was a great GM who would lead the Sixers to the promised land, it didn’t really impact the offseason that much. The draft probably would have gone pretty much the same, and Colangelo wouldn’t have had any more luck hunting stars than Brown did. It was embarrassing but probably didn’t have much long term impact. Most likely they were already grooming Brand for the job, he just got it a little sooner.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The Porzingis fiasco? Charles Oakley? Melo? The Knicks have been embarrassing for years. Oh, and let’s not forget Phil Jackson and his triangle.

I'll give you oakley, but what is the porzingis fiasco? And getting rid of Melo is the best thing that franchise has done in years.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I'll give you oakley, but what is the porzingis fiasco? And getting rid of Melo is the best thing that franchise has done in years.

Getting rid of Melo, yes. Signing in the first place, no. And not getting rid of him sooner, no. Last offseason Porzingis was making noises about wanting to be traded. I think someone from the front office had to meet with him and talk him off the edge. The Knicks play in the basketball capital of the world, in one of the most famous arenas in the world, with a permenantly built-in, rabid fanbase, and they’ve been putting a garbage product on the court for years. How is that not a horribly run franchise?

Reactions: trostol

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Getting rid of Melo, yes. Signing in the first place, no. And not getting rid of him sooner, no. Last offseason Porzingis was making noises about wanting to be traded. I think someone from the front office had to meet with him and talk him off the edge. The Knicks play in the basketball capital of the world, in one of the most famous arenas in the world, with a permenantly built-in, rabid fanbase, and they’ve been putting a garbage product on the court for years. How is that not a horribly run franchise?

they have been a mismanaged franchise for a while. But what has occured since hinkie's firing is unparalleled.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
they have been a mismanaged franchise for a while. But what has occured since hinkie's firing is unparalleled.

Colangelo’s wife’s twitter habit was one of the weirder things I’ve seen but I wouldn’t call that mismanagement. She doesn’t work for the team. Other than that, you can argue with trade for Fultz but he was the consensus #1 pick. Nobody could have forseen what he went through last year. And he’s still young and has all star potential. Way too early to be calling for The Process Redux.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Colangelo’s wife’s twitter habit was one of the weirder things I’ve seen but I wouldn’t call that mismanagement. She doesn’t work for the team. Other than that, you can argue with trade for Fultz but he was the consensus #1 pick. Nobody could have forseen what he went through last year. And he’s still young and has all star potential. Way too early to be calling for The Process Redux.

It wasn't just his wife.... It was also him. Markelle was the consensus best player at the time in a draft that had a ton of question marks . Fultz is still young, but he is has no start potential. How do you think he can become a star when one of the main reasons he is in the nba is a skill he will never be able to acquire again. I guarentee it. Fultz has the yips , find me an athlete other than Rick Ankiel that was ever able to recover from that.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
It wasn't just his wife.... It was also him. Markelle was the consensus best player at the time in a draft that had a ton of question marks . Fultz is still young, but he is has no start potential. How do you think he can become a star when one of the main reasons he is in the nba is a skill he will never be able to acquire again. I guarentee it. Fultz has the yips , find me an athlete other than Rick Ankiel that was ever able to recover from that.

I disagee with the bolded. Time will tell who is right.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I disagee with the bolded. Time will tell who is right.

i am willing to wager all the monies on that. There is no scapular imbalance that happens from what he did. All the medicatl issues were invented by the Fultz side to explain what was happening. Colangelo denied it initially remember and then got on board with it. No surgery, no real diagnosis. Then they tell us he can come back whenever he wants after months of working on his shot and Pompey posting footage for the world to see that he has no shot. Then one day declares himself good enough to play.

THERE WAS NO INJURY.

THIS IS A CASE OF THE YIPS.

We have seen him make one 3 pointer in a non summer league setting. It was a wide open set shot. If he can't shoot he is Michael carter williams.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
i am willing to wager all the monies on that. There is no scapular imbalance that happens from what he did. All the medicatl issues were invented by the Fultz side to explain what was happening. Colangelo denied it initially remember and then got on board with it. No surgery, no real diagnosis. Then they tell us he can come back whenever he wants after months of working on his shot and Pompey posting footage for the world to see that he has no shot. Then one day declares himself good enough to play.

THERE WAS NO INJURY.

THIS IS A CASE OF THE YIPS.

We have seen him make one 3 pointer in a non summer league setting. It was a wide open set shot. If he can't shoot he is Michael carter williams.

if true..they should have moved him in a deal by now

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
if true..they should have moved him in a deal by now

Something doesn’t add up about Markelle Fultz’s shoulder injury

Fultz’s Agent Clarifies, Says Markelle Actually Received Cortisone Shot

"The latest update is that Fultz visited orthopedic surgeon Ben Kibler in Lexington, Kentucky, last weekend and was diagnosed with scapular muscle imbalance. Kibler and at least two other doctors Fultz has seen all agree there is no structural damage to the shoulder."

So either Markelle Fultz is a pathological liar or he and his crew can't keep their stories straight. Fultz said he had his shoulder drained, Agent comes out and says it was a cortisone shot. Fultz says he changed up his shot in the summer, his trainer says he changed it because of his shoulder pain.

There has never been any medical diagnosis for this. Markelle Fultz missed a majority of his rookie season because he was uninjured. That sentence makes about as much sense as " Hot Rod Williams is the highest paid nba player"

What has happened to Fultz is unprecedented. He in a 2 month time span looked like the kid we drafted to a kid would not be starting in college. When i saw fultz play in college he had the type of half court scoring ability that other great pac 10 guys had such as brandon roy , and james harden. Deadly ball handling ability, great long distance shooter. Ability to finish at the rim. Go to youtube and watch him play vs what you see now. They are two different players. Everyone just expects him to snap out of it , but there has been no signs that he is progressing .

everyone got pumped for this clip. Not me. That is not a shot you get off in a real nba game. He worked on his shot all summer, has declared his health and that is the best he can do? If that is the case what is holding him back?

Want to know what else is holding him back. He is a pg. He is a primary ball handling pg his whole damn life, and now he has to play second fiddle to the best passer in the league. The offense with Simmons and Fultz on the floor together does not work the way it works with Chris Paul and James Harden two ball dominate guards.

look what colangelo says in regards to the reason why we traded up to draft Fultz. He says " Markelle was the ideal fit for this roster" he said this after embiid had played a total of 31 career games in 3 years, and Ben simmons missed his rookie year and never played a single game. Yet Colangelo is such an architect to know how the pieces are going to fit even though he nor anyone else has seen those pieces.

I swear if I ever see Colangelo I am going to smack him. I don't care if i get arrested. He ruined this franchise's best chance to win a championship in my lifetime and almost single handed wiped out all the good Hinkie did.

Reactions: trostol

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
In all of sports? The Oakland Raiders for one...

raiders hired gruden , a terrible coach for this era, because the owner has a crush on him. Terrible move. Now what occured off the field that comes close to the transaction of fultz or the musing of colangelo's twitter account?

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
He ruined this franchise's best chance to win a championship in my lifetime and almost single handed wiped out all the good Hinkie did.

The decision to trade, in essence, Tatum and a first round pick for Fultz looks like it may turn out to be one of the worst GM decisions in the history of Philly professional sports.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The decision to trade, in essence, Tatum and a first round pick for Fultz looks like it may turn out to be one of the worst GM decisions in the history of Philly professional sports.

a first round pick? He traded the sacramento kings unprotected first round pick this year. That"s one of the most valuable assets right now. He did this trade when the Celtics had about 6 point guards coming off a trade for Kyrie Irving. The Celtics were drafting Tatum 1 overall regardless. Lonzo probably winds up at 2. And Fultz lands on our laps at 3.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Can we calm down with the ridiculous hot takes? Wilt Chamberlain was traded by the same franchise and Tatum is going down in history as an all-timer?

Lonzo probably winds up at 2. And Fultz lands on our laps at 3.

Fultz was going 2 if Tatum went 1. That was out there both before and after the draft. They loved Fultz, they just knew they didn't have a shot at him.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Can we calm down with the ridiculous hot takes? Wilt Chamberlain was traded by the same franchise and Tatum is going down in history as an all-timer?

Fultz was going 2 if Tatum went 1. It's been said by almost every important Lakers insider both before and after the draft.

Ok then we end up with ball and still have the sactown pick.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Ok then we end up with ball and still have the sactown pick.

We do have to allow for the weirdness of all of this. Who the hell could have seen this coming with Fultz? That's the part that matters to me because the trade was to get the potential 3rd star.

I was on the Lonzo isn't a lead guard train pretty hard and think he'd be a lot more effective on a Simmons team. I still like him, but he's not exactly a huge miss so far.

This draft is....not great. I'm really, really not worried about losing a shot at Nassir Little. If the #1 protection didn't exist, it might be a different conversation in my mind.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
We do have to allow for the weirdness of all of this. Who the hell could have seen this coming with Fultz? That's the part that matters to me because the trade was to get the potential 3rd star.

I was on the Lonzo isn't a lead guard train pretty hard and think he'd be a lot more effective on a Simmons team. I still like him, but he's not exactly a huge miss so far.

This draft is....not great. I'm really, really not worried about losing a shot at Nassir Little. If the #1 protection didn't exist, it might be a different conversation in my mind.

The trade was to get a potential 3rd star. name the other 2 stars we had at the time when we made that trade? We didn't know what we had. All we had was 33 games from embiid. At 3 you have a chance at tatum, fultz or ball. Simple as that , one of those guys is going to start for you. Now we gave a huge asset to our rivals which could be the key piece in them acquiring anthony davis. If that happens there will be no titles during the embiid era.

And in regards to who could have seen this fultz situation coming? uw put on a full court press to get Fultz and then design the offense around him and give him every opportunity to shine, and shine he did. So you think going from lead dog to 3rd fiddle was going to be a smooth transition for him?

And 2nd why was he lying right off the bat about things. That is a red flag. Colangelo should have put a kabash on Fultz interviews and kept everything internal. Now things reallly look goofy with all the previous quotes.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The trade was to get a potential 3rd star. name the other 2 stars we had at the time when we made that trade? We didn't know what we had. All we had was 33 games from embiid. At 3 you have a chance at tatum, fultz or ball. Simple as that , one of those guys is going to start for you. Now we gave a huge asset to our rivals which could be the key piece in them acquiring anthony davis. If that happens there will be no titles during the embiid era.

You're seriously going to tell me you weren't convinced of Embiid and Simmons' talent going into last year? I don't believe that. You're not an idiot. Rookie Embiid was on the short list of the best defensive players I have ever seen in my life. Might be top 3. Part of that was the Minutes restriction allowing him to almost entirely ignore fouls, but he still did it.

The drop from Fultz to Ball was MASSIVE unless you were Lavar Ball or LloydFree on RealGM. I think he had Fultz 63rd in that draft and that was only to keep up appearances. @HakstolisAFartVacuum can confirm that one.

Boston could get Davis if he hits the market with or without that trade. Their bench is a 5 seed playing 36 Minutes a night in the East.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
You're seriously going to tell me you weren't convinced of Embiid and Simmons' talent going into last year? I don't believe that. You're not an idiot. Rookie Embiid was on the short list of the best defensive players I have ever seen in my life. Might be top 3. Part of that was the Minutes restriction allowing him to almost entirely ignore fouls, but he still did it.

The drop from Fultz to Ball was MASSIVE unless you were Lavar Ball or LloydFree on RealGM. I think he had Fultz 63rd in that draft and that was only to keep up appearances. @HakstolisAFartVacuum can confirm that one.

Boston could get Davis if he hits the market with or without that trade. Their bench is a 5 seed playing 36 Minutes a night in the East.

Embiid missed college due to a back injury, missed two nba seasons to a foot issue and then tore his meniscus once he actually played? Yes i had a lot of confidence in him staying healthy after that. Simmons i had more confidence in except for the fact he has no true position in the nba, and IN crucial moments int he 4th quarter you can always expect simmons to pass because he is afraid to go to the line.

Fultz to ball was not and is not nearly as massive as you think it is. Ball is a better athlete, smarter, knows his game better than Fultz and a better defender. The one difference between the two is that Fultz had the capability of being a pure scorer in the half court whereas ball was more of dominate full court player who was not nearly as effective in the half court.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Embiid missed college due to a back injury, missed two nba seasons to a foot issue and then tore his meniscus once he actually played? Yes i had a lot of confidence in him staying healthy after that. Simmons i had more confidence in except for the fact he has no true position in the nba, and IN crucial moments int he 4th quarter you can always expect simmons to pass because he is afraid to go to the line.

Fultz to ball was not and is not nearly as massive as you think it is. Ball is a better athlete, smarter, knows his game better than Fultz and a better defender. The one difference between the two is that Fultz had the capability of being a pure scorer in the half court whereas ball was more of dominate full court player who was not nearly as effective in the half court.

Forgetting just how much of this I disagree with, please tell me you see the irony in worrying that much about Simmons' FT shooting while simultaneously pumping up Lonzo Ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad