OT: Philadelphia 76ers: Taking Our Talents To The Offseason...Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I wouldnt bet on it happening but Kawhi sitting out the whole season would be best case scenario for the Sixers.
Drops the Raps right out of contention for the conference finals.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
With this attitude that he has, I'd love to see him sit out the full season, not get paid as a result of violating his contract, and absolutely flounder in free agency.

This guy is turning out to have one the most pathetic attitudes in the history of the league if this turns out to be true.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Who do you pick, pre-injury Derrick Coleman, or pre-injury Kwahi Leonard?

Both are still going to get hurt at a near point in the future, and you'll have them on your roster post-injury.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Just so we're all clear on where the Sixers were in this:

Zach Lowe said:
Philadelphia's potential package of Robert Covington, Dario Saric, and the Heat's unprotected 2021 pick didn't move the needle. It's unclear if the Spurs had interest in Markelle Fultz; the two sides never discussed him seriously, and the Sixers would not have parted with him, sources say. The Spurs made it clear any deal with Philly would require Ben Simmons or Joel Embiid (likely Simmons), and the Sixers weren't going anywhere near that, league sources say.

Source: Lowe: What the Kawhi trade means for Raptors, Spurs and NBA

GM or not, if you put Embiid or Simmons on the table, you're an idiot.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I suppose the Spurs had to ask but there was zero chance of either of them being traded.

Of course. It's one of those situations where they offered as much as they reasonably could and the Spurs preferred other assets.

So many of the takes are going to focus on not having a GM and other things that miss the point completely. If anything, what this does is highlight the poor drafting in the late 1st/early 2nd. That's still a problem.

I imagine they also like Poeltl a good bit even though the coverage focuses on DD. Terrible last playoffs aside, he's been really good, but there's still more to get than Toronto squeezed out of him for whatever reason.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Of course. It's one of those situations where they offered as much as they reasonably could and the Spurs preferred other assets.

So many of the takes are going to focus on not having a GM and other things that miss the point completely. If anything, what this does is highlight the poor drafting in the late 1st/early 2nd. That's still a problem.

I imagine they also like Poeltl a good bit even though the coverage focuses on DD. Terrible last playoffs aside, he's been really good, but there's still more to get than Toronto squeezed out of him for whatever reason.

Poeltl with pop... he will flourish. he will be so efficient for them. Spurs won't skip a beat, but tehy are not real contenders out west.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Another example why I think Philly teams have to grow their own, build teams around players who grow together and want to stay together.
Messing with Mercenaries can backfire in so many ways.

Sixers should just build around Embiid, Simmons, Fultz, Smith and Saric, and add role players to the bench each year to complement them.
That starting five in a couple years will be as good as any in the NBA.
Keep the "us against the world" attitude and a fanatic fan base and good luck winning in Philly.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Pop will get everything there is to get out of Poeltl and DD. It won't be enough but Kawhi wasn't enough either.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Zach Lowe reporting that Spurs wouldn't budge from Simmons or Embiid to headline that package.

Clearly why the Sixers didn't have much conversation with the Spurs. Also they did the same with the Celtics. What would they ask from the Celtics? Kyrie?

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Zach Lowe reporting that Spurs wouldn't budge from Simmons or Embiid to headline that package.

Clearly why the Sixers didn't have much conversation with the Spurs. Also they did the same with the Celtics. What would they ask from the Celtics? Kyrie?

I think they wanted either Tatum or Brown. Maybe both.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I think they wanted either Tatum or Brown. Maybe both.

I don't see Tatum or Brown on Derozans level, but I'm relatively loose in my NBA knowledge.

And if it's Brown + picks, I really don't see why Boston doesn't do that. Kawhi/Kyrie/Hayward/Horford/Tatum?

That's a really good Starting 5. You do that every day.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I don't see Tatum or Brown on Derozans level, but I'm relatively loose in my NBA knowledge.

And if it's Brown + picks, I really don't see why Boston doesn't do that. Kawhi/Kyrie/Hayward/Horford/Tatum?

That's a really good Starting 5. You do that every day.

Neither Tatum or Brown are at that level yet, but I think both have all star potential. Not that far off either.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013

Watching the Pop dynasty crash and burn is oddly satisfying. These are his last years and Spurs clearly want to still compete during.

Take the surefire all-star over the young pieces/flexibility because they still have faith Pop can alchemize DD, LA + whomever into a threat.

The player I like the most on that squad is Lonnie as I think he's a star but it'll be a couple years before he reaches that.

Otherwise its fools gold since GS is playing with house money until next offseason at least

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
That Lowe excerpt stinks to high heaven about intentional leaks from the Sixers.
DiX0ze4FswLtRga8.jpg

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Maybe, but the Sixers only players that are close to Derozan talent are Ben & Joel. Nobody underneath them would qualify, so I don't really see why it's so hard to believe.

Whoa. DeRozan is god-awful defensively and puts up raw points on league average TS% while doing nothing else particularly well. The Raptors were better with him off the court for the majority of his career before turning mildly positive recently.

Embiid, Simmons, and Fultz are all considerably more talented. I’m reasonably confident DeRozan isn’t a top 50 contract-neutral player. In the hardcore NBA trade value communities, there was skepticism he could return equivalent expirings on his current deal.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
What a clown Bjelica is if he signs with the Kings. Says he felt devalued by the Sixers contract....good luck in Sacramento. Ciao...

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Whoa. DeRozan is god-awful defensively and puts up raw points on league average TS% while doing nothing else particularly well. The Raptors were better with him off the court for the majority of his career before turning mildly positive recently.

Embiid, Simmons, and Fultz are all considerably more talented. I’m reasonably confident DeRozan isn’t a top 50 contract-neutral player. In the hardcore NBA trade value communities, there was skepticism he could return equivalent expirings on his current deal.

Fultz can't shoot a basketball, and nobody really knows how good defensively he is. I get DeRozan has some issues, but Fultz doesn't even look like an NBA player right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad