OT: Philadelphia 76ers: Taking Our Talents To The Offseason...Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
Having no GM has turned the Sixers offseason into a disaster.

Downside of this offseason: No Lebron. Does kinda suck, but hey if he'd rather willingly break his finals appearance streak just to appease his family...

Upside of this offseason: They didn't lose any assets to acquire a mentally weak malcontent who doesn't fit this team's culture and will be gone after one year.

Honestly, i'm more disappointed in Bjelica backing out of his deal when he did. So many depth players have already signed at this point, not much left in FA. Probably gonna have to get their Ilyasova replacement via trade now.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
NBA players are the most entitled babies on earth.

To you maybe. Besides soccer players theyre the most individually valuable athletes on the planet.
A player like LeBron deserves more money than he gets considering the revenue he brings in for his team and city.
With the talent pool of ballplayers growing every year worldwide their individual worth increases as does the difficulty of even making the NBA.

You say entitled but theyve earned the right to establish their own market value and to play where they want.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
To you maybe. Besides soccer players theyre the most individually valuable athletes on the planet.
A player like LeBron deserves more money than he gets considering the revenue he brings in for his team and city.
With the talent pool of ballplayers growing every year worldwide their individual worth increases as does the difficulty of even making the NBA.

You say entitled but theyve earned the right to establish their own market value and to play where they want.

Once they’re a free agent, yes.

When you give up on your team to bitch and moan, no.

It’s a business and they’re employees under contract.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Once they’re a free agent, yes.

When you give up on your team to ***** and moan, no.

It’s a business and they’re employees under contract.
I never said Kawhi was 100 percent in the right.
He certainly couldve handled this better but once again youre confusing regular market forces with that of pro sports.

A top 10 NBA player is not tethered to the same rules as the rest of the workforce. The owners need him more than he needs them.
The Spurs understood this and that's why they held onto him for as long as they did.

Reactions: Ruck Over

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
Originally wanted Kawhi, but happy to stay away after everything.

I’ve always felt Kawhi is a bit overrated in the sense of being put in the convo with LeBron or Durant...but that’s just my opinion. Still would have liked to add his talent.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I love the move for San Antonio and I would have done the same thing in their shoes. They get a proven asset back and while they take a step back with DeRozan compared to Leonard, they get him for 3 years and they get to tell Leonard to shove it. Upset about not playing in a big enough market and want to go back to LA? Go to Toronto buddy.

In theory, trading to LA would likely have been better for their team's outlook by getting some young talent back (although we don't know what LA was actually willing to give them, given that he's made it clear he wants to sign there next year) they avoided directly helping a conference competitor and didn't give the guy who screwed them over what he wanted.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
It's amusing that Leonard wanted to play in a big market, and is now complaining about being traded to Toronto. Just for lulz, Toronto is the 3rd largest market in the NBA. When using new fuzzy math, split the NYC & LA markets for two teams each, and include all of Canada into Toronto, Toronto is probably the largest market in the NBA. (I know it doesn't work like that.)

It's hella different than SoCal, but Toronto is an awesome city, and Leonard has enough money for someone to deal with the cold for him.

Reactions: Jtown

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I legit thought people were ****ing with me. What in the world? I mean, I'm all for it, but you're not getting Morey out of Houston and sure as hell not to the place where the ownership continually throws Hinkie to the wolves.

When the current GMs rumor came up, Morey and Buford were the last two names I expected. Credit for trying for sure, but this feels like the PR excuses for promoting Eversley. See! We tried!

I hate how you think , because its exactly what i fear and predict will happen. First off i am very wary of guys who have been on both sides of the industry, and I am even more wary of the industry change to start hiring people from the other side of the industry. Rob Pelinka being the best example. Eversley is a guy who has found himself in this potition by being a good guy that everyone likes. He is not a basketball savant, he is not a outside of the box thinker, he is the anti- Hinkie. He is is likeable, personable and has many connections although he can't be thought of as a guy with big pull. This is what teams are going to do to start landing big time free agents, hire gms with built in connections, and that is the only reason why eversley was hired by the Raptors, because he has spent the previous decade with Nike building up relationships and learning from the likes of Lynn Merritt and not learning the ins and outs of bball.

Basketball is a great example of when the game is sold to the highest bidder at all costs and in all levels of the game. So much money in this sport and everyone is corrupt, and only interested in themselves and the actual sport is secondary. So many careers have been made by who people have known , and so many careers have been lost for rocking the boat.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I hate how you think , because its exactly what i fear and predict will happen. First off i am very wary of guys who have been on both sides of the industry, and I am even more wary of the industry change to start hiring people from the other side of the industry. Rob Pelinka being the best example. Eversley is a guy who has found himself in this potition by being a good guy that everyone likes. He is not a basketball savant, he is not a outside of the box thinker, he is the anti- Hinkie. He is is likeable, personable and has many connections although he can't be thought of as a guy with big pull. This is what teams are going to do to start landing big time free agents, hire gms with built in connections, and that is the only reason why eversley was hired by the Raptors, because he has spent the previous decade with Nike building up relationships and learning from the likes of Lynn Merritt and not learning the ins and outs of bball.

Basketball is a great example of when the game is sold to the highest bidder at all costs and in all levels of the game. So much money in this sport and everyone is corrupt, and only interested in themselves and the actual sport is secondary. So many careers have been made by who people have known , and so many careers have been lost for rocking the boat.

That's how almost every sport is, sadly. Only baseball regularly avoids it at any decent rate. Basketball is pushing the furthest in that direction though, as stars are worth the most relative to other sports and the control the shoe companies have over the amateur games leads to a small, insular community.

Pelinka is an interesting name to discuss because the signings were a dumpster fire but he's clearly smart enough to listen to his amateur scouts. That's great and all, but it doesn't buy you stars. I still can't believe someone let the agent for the Boozer debacle into a front office. I'll never blame a player for getting paid, but I wouldn't ever deal with that agent again if I could avoid it.

The more teams go in that direction, the less jobs there are for basketball minds as GMs, and the better the approach works because the people who should be in lead roles are now supporting public faces. Once it starts taking hold, it's a difficult cycle to break.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
That's how almost every sport is, sadly. Only baseball regularly avoids it at any decent rate. Basketball is pushing the furthest in that direction though, as stars are worth the most relative to other sports and the control the shoe companies have over the amateur games leads to a small, insular community.

Pelinka is an interesting name to discuss because the signings were a dumpster fire but he's clearly smart enough to listen to his amateur scouts. That's great and all, but it doesn't buy you stars. I still can't believe someone let the agent for the Boozer debacle into a front office. I'll never blame a player for getting paid, but I wouldn't ever deal with that agent again if I could avoid it.

The more teams go in that direction, the less jobs there are for basketball minds as GMs, and the better the approach works because the people who should be in lead roles are now supporting public faces. Once it starts taking hold, it's a difficult cycle to break.

I do believe in hockey and in football , an emphasis is placed on forward thinkers with success in terms of winning and losing at the forefront as opposse to the dollar grab that is the nba. I would not say the the boozer incident was a debacle at all especially for Pelinka. Pelinka did the honorable thing as did sfx ( which they had to because of criticism) by dropping boozer as a client but keeping first year agent percentage. An agent gets 3 percent of the contract as an average of the lifetime contract, but in the first year that percentage is significantly more. That way the minute the contract is signed , the agent doesn;t have to worry about being dropped and missing out on what he worked for. The following year after Rob started his own company, boozer came back. Brillant move by Rob. And he wasn't hired because of his gm ability , he was hired beccause of his relationship with Kobe, the buss family, and the Lakers as a whole. As an agent he had a better understanding and relationship of all who was involved than some outsider.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I do believe in hockey and in football , an emphasis is placed on forward thinkers with success in terms of winning and losing at the forefront as opposse to the dollar grab that is the nba. I would not say the the boozer incident was a debacle at all especially for Pelinka. Pelinka did the honorable thing as did sfx ( which they had to because of criticism) by dropping boozer as a client but keeping first year agent percentage. An agent gets 3 percent of the contract as an average of the lifetime contract, but in the first year that percentage is significantly more. That way the minute the contract is signed , the agent doesn;t have to worry about being dropped and missing out on what he worked for. The following year after Rob started his own company, boozer came back. Brillant move by Rob. And he wasn't hired because of his gm ability , he was hired beccause of his relationship with Kobe, the buss family, and the Lakers as a whole. As an agent he had a better understanding and relationship of all who was involved than some outsider.

Doing the "honorable thing" after getting everything you want is easy, especially when PR backlash forces you out. They agreed to a handshake deal that involved a release and re-signing and then walked after the release. Everything else is window dressing.

I would not ever do business with the parties involved again unless I had no choice. I have run a business and understand exactly how many ways that can hurt you, but allowing yourself to get leveraged to such parties is not going to help you in the long run.

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Doing the "honorable thing" afterward getting everything you want is easy, especially when PR backlash forces you out. They agreed to a handshake deal that involved a release and re-signing and then walked after the release. Everything else is window dressing.

I would not ever do business with the parties involved again unless I had no choice. I have run a business and understand exactly how many ways that can hurt you, but allowing yourself to get leveraged to such parties is not going to help you in the long run.

as an agent , a team's need is secondary. You do that 100 times out of 100. This is business and that manuever got boozer almost 30 more million. Would i want to be befriend pelinka, and trust him as a friend? Hell no. Would i want that guy looking out for me if my number 1 concern was income, you bet ass i would. Pelinka like so many have found out is that you only need the players to like you, after that dealing with teams is easy. To owners he is the guy that did not honor a handshake agreement. To players, he is the agent that got his client 30 extra million dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad