OT: Philadelphia 76ers - Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen... He Was Number One!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
The draft may be their best chance at maximizing return on Okafor though.

Also, couldn't Noel be considered an insurance policy for Okafor if Embiid's injury concerns pop back up?

That's my rationale. No one will mistake Noel for being a low post scoring threat, but he ain't chopped liver. He provides the defense people lament Okafor not having. He's also great at put backs from all the "non-shooters" on the squad.

There doesn't need to be a rush to trade Okafor, but he's the most likely guy out the door. Last year didn't show promise with him and Noel, he can likely garner a better return than Noel, and the team played better (efficiency) with Noel on the floor as the C rather than Okafor.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Is Noel going to be the same kind of threat in a pick and roll?

I'm not opposed to reason Okafor if they can get an established guard, but Inthink they have another year before they really need to pull the trigger. Frankly, if Embiid can't go this yeah, I think it's time to start assuming the worst.

Noel has really improved his shot, from gosh awful, to not great. But more importantly, I think Saric can be the pick and roll guy. Noel has improved his range to about 10 ft. Put him on the opposite side of the roll action, and leave Saric available in the middle, the roll to the "left" and Noel off somewhere to the "right". Space out RoCo and the SG/PG elsewhere.

I'm not nearly as excited if he have 2 and Ingram. But with Simmons, and Saric, that more than makes up for losing Okafor in my mind if Okafor fills a glaring gap elsewhere. Saric is our (re)found money, found money that Hinkie got back from the debacle of the Bynum trade that at the time was acceptable.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Simmons with Saric and a center actually has a chance to work for a few minutes per game. Simmons should be able to guard opposing SFs a bit and Saric should be a pretty decent shooter from 3, which would space the floor.

When they're not out running in transition, the Sixers bread and butter will be the Simmons pick and roll with Embiid or Noel with three shooters around them. This is really intriguing because opposing bigs aren't used to being in that situation at the same time.

These are some incredibly important distinctions that tend to get glossed over in a general what position can he defend topic.

There's a world of difference between getting 10 and 30 minutes a night there. The former makes a ton of sense. The lack of spacing, especially after Hornsby went down, makes his ability to run the pick and roll as the primary ball handler tough to identify with the tape we have, but he was not as proficient this year as you would expect from someone with his skillset. If you want Simmons, you have to blame the spacing in no small part for it. The trick then becomes making sure you have a 4 who can shoot and a true rim protector at the 5 because a Simmons/Saric 3/4 stack is not exactly quick-footed.

I just don't understand why some of the same people who were incensed that Noel was being played out of position now want to put Simmons in a situation where you're clearly minimizing his current strengths and magnifying his current weaknesses. Put him in the mid post where he's comfortable and let him develop. Maybe one day down the line he has the skills to defend the 3 for 30 minutes a night, but he's not there yet.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
can his range be at an nba level? I wouldn't be oppose giving him a shot, even if he's a bench guy that comes in that can hit a few 3's or so.
Shooting range? I have NBA shooting range, but it's everything else like severe limitations in size, length, and/or athleticism that make guys bad prospects. He might hook up with a summer league team but I can't see anything more than that unless he goes overseas.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Anyone else see the video on Twitter of Simmons shooting NBA 3's?

I'm obviously aware that's not his forte, but it's pretty embarrassing how bad his shot is.

Tim Tebow

Jan 25, 2012
Westeros
Is Ingram's shot really as good as advertised? I mean he was only shooting 68% from Free Throws.

I don't see much concern with Simmons 3's ether as he doesn't have to be chucking up 3's. His comparison is literally LeBron James who himself is a below average 3 shot.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Eric Bledsoe could be a trade target. Phoenix really needs a center and would still have Knight and Booker at guard. Really good player with 3 years left on his deal. Colorful injury history though...

Free agency wise I have a bad feeling BC will be going after Waiters...

Should be a fascinating and fun summer.

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Is Ingram's shot really as good as advertised? I mean he was only shooting 68% from Free Throws.

I don't see much concern with Simmons 3's ether as he doesn't have to be chucking up 3's. His comparison is literally LeBron James who himself is a below average 3 shot.

Simmons is 20...go check LeBron's stats when entering the league at a younger age in comparison. There's being a poor % shooter...and then there's being a poor shooter who doesn't even try to shoot. I'll eat my own leg if Simmons attempts 300+ 3s. 30 might push it.

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Moving up from 24/26 is basically impossible to even discuss without knowing the board, especially given the startling lack of consensus in this draft beyond 2. Not that early mocks are worth much, but Insiders' 4 post lottery mocks have Luwawu at 14/14/12/20 and Baldwin at 17/17/14/13, which seems to make little sense. Unless one of those type of guys is in range, is it really worth taking 1 shot at a Sabonis or a Prince vs 2 lottery tickets on a McCaw/Melo/Dejounte Murray? Seems like one of those picks for a vet given Colangelo's mindset makes more sense than packaging them to move up.

Oh dear god. The combination of not being a very good player and the hometown angle make him the #1 guy I want to avoid. Sadly, you're making sense.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Moving up from 24/26 is basically impossible to even discuss without knowing the board, especially given the startling lack of consensus in this draft beyond 2. Not that early mocks are worth much, but Insiders' 4 post lottery mocks have Luwawu at 14/14/12/20 and Baldwin at 17/17/14/13, which seems to make little sense. Unless one of those type of guys is in range, is it really worth taking 1 shot at a Sabonis or a Prince vs 2 lottery tickets on a McCaw/Melo/Dejounte Murray? Seems like one of those picks for a vet given Colangelo's mindset makes more sense than packaging them to move up.

Those were the two guys I had in mind. Coming out of the draft with Simmons/Ingram and Baldwin/Luwawu would be a win.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
McCaw and LeVert look like good targets with those two picks. I think BC will be doing to movement with those picks though.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Eric Bledsoe could be a trade target. Phoenix really needs a center and would still have Knight and Booker at guard. Really good player with 3 years left on his deal. Colorful injury history though...

Should be a fascinating and fun summer.

Don't like hurt players, so Bledsoe out. Plus, NFL Bledsoe was a disappointment, transitive properties means NBA Bledsoe will disappoint as well. Scienced

Please bring Waiters to Philly. Homecoming + crazy = world on fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad