OT: Philadelphia 76ers - Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen... He Was Number One!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I can't wait to see what the Sixers do now.

I have been on record hoping for Ingram, and I would certainly be happy with him, but honestly just pick Simmons, trade Okafor for a capable young guard and lets see what happens. I can't advocate picking for need when you have #1 Overall. You take the best player available EVERY TIME. ALWAYS.

There is pretty much no one on this team which is good enough to NOT pick Simmons when worried about "fit".

To the people with more basketball knowledge than me, is it really crazy to expect to see Simmons on the court as something other than a 4? His skill set to me seems like it could be moved around the lineup a bit. I don't see why he couldn't play 3 effectively with Saric and Embiid/Noel out there. As much as I like Okafor's offense, I expect to see them move him for 1 or 2 help.

He will be a 3 at the NBA level IMO. His ball skills and playmaking ability are elite, he could cause alot of damage off the wing.

If Embiid is healthy and ready to go, i would trade Okafor + to get to #4, take Jamal Murray and roll with

1 Murray
2 Stauskas
3 Simmons
4 Saric/Noel
5 Embiid/Noel

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I like Okafor a lot but if they go with Simmons then it's hard to see how/where Okafor fits (it's a little hard to see that now in fact). He's got some mad offensive skills and he's fun to watch but his defense is probably never going to be great and he's not as athletic as Noel, Embiid, and Simmons. He starts to look more and more like the square peg in the round hole.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
He will be a 3 at the NBA level IMO. His ball skills and playmaking ability are elite, he could cause alot of damage off the wing.

If Embiid is healthy and ready to go, i would trade Okafor + to get to #4, take Jamal Murray and roll with

1 Murray
2 Stauskas
3 Simmons
4 Saric/Noel
5 Embiid/Noel

I like that, there is also depth using noel

plus sixers still have lakers 1st rd pick coming next year same stipulation as last night or finally it's unprotected in 2018.

plus if sixers to play better to the point they be picking near lower end of lottery, the swap with the kings is still in play.

I wonder if if colangelo being here might help free agents to want to sign here, that they see sixers making the turn to playing better. plus we will have cap.

until all of this happens, PG SG SF are the main focus, and if we wind up trading okafor, we will need to address depth.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona

1 Murray
2 Stauskas
3 Simmons
4 Saric/Noel
5 Embiid/Noel
Simmons with Saric and a center actually has a chance to work for a few minutes per game. Simmons should be able to guard opposing SFs a bit and Saric should be a pretty decent shooter from 3, which would space the floor.

When they're not out running in transition, the Sixers bread and butter will be the Simmons pick and roll with Embiid or Noel with three shooters around them. This is really intriguing because opposing bigs aren't used to being in that situation at the same time.

My core right now would be:

???/???
???/???
Covington/???
Simmons/Saric
Noel/Embiid

Use cap space, picks, and trade roster players not named to fill in the question marks.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
TTP! All hail Sam. Hinkie for President!

Okafor is as good as gone. Trade him to get the young PG/SG needed, whether that's Dunn, Russell or TBD. Or, trade him to Indy for Paul George, or the Wiz for John Wall, toss in the Sac option, the Lakers pick, whatever. Time is now to cash in, use the optionality & assets. (Both George and Wall are signed through 2018/19, but George has that as a player option and Wall is just under contract.)

Noel, can play center even if Embiid is still hurt/damaged goods. Let's run.

Simmons, Noel, Saric, Okafor=PG/SG, FA=SG/PG (DeRozen, for lulz) - with reserves of RoCo, Grant, Holmes and TJ (decisions to be made with Thompson and Stauskus). That's the worst case scenario, which is much more promising than many years past. Best case, Embiid is the center and Noel/Saric are playing topsy-turvy depth guys for rest and match-ups.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
It would almost certainly be a waste of time, but I would throw a max offer sheet at Beal or Fournier this summer. Make their respective team match, nothing to lose.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Great...lets draft more players who can't score.

In what world will Simmons not be able to score?

You're confusing "being a great shooter" with "being a great scorer."

Ingram averaged 17.3 points, 6.8 rebounds and 2 assists per game.

Simmons averaged 19.2 points, 11.8 rebounds and 4.8 assists per game.

Obviously stats aren't everything, and Ingram is an awesome prospect, but Simmons is going to be able to contribute in more ways than Ingram at the NBA level.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Great...lets draft more players who can't score.

You need to explain this. It is one thing to say that Simmons can't shoot, but he's going to create plenty of offense for himself and his teammates.

I'm not sure what they should do, but in their position, I think you have to take the guy who has the potential to be a superstar over they guy who is likely to be a really, really good player.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
My mistake. Should've said shoot.

This team is almost no shooters. Can't rely on being 6 feet away from the basket in the NBA.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Orlando seems to have a glut of 2/3 types, no? Is a deal possible there?
I'm not a CBA expert, but unfortunately restricted free agency is a bit different than hockey. You're not allowed to sign and trade or trade something in exchange for the team not matching the offer sheet. Maybe Hezonja or Oladipo could be a trade option for us?
Thoughts on this?

http://www.inquisitr.com/3107957/nb...drafting-both-brandon-ingram-and-ben-simmons/

Okafor to LA for the 2nd overall pick? What would we have to add? Is it too unrealistic?
I think LA will be trading that pick for an established player and hitting free agency hard. Maybe that pick is used as a head liner in a mega deal for Cousins.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
My mistake. Should've said shoot.

This team is almost no shooters. Can't rely on being 6 feet away from the basket in the NBA.
Shooters are easy to find though. Thompson and Covington are good 3pt shooters picked off the scrap heap. Canaan and Stauskas were brought in by trading next to nothing. The hard part is getting a shooter that doesn't kill you on the defensive end.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Shooters are easy to find though. Thompson and Covington are good 3pt shooters picked off the scrap heap. Canaan and Stauskas were brought in by trading next to nothing. The hard part is getting a shooter that doesn't kill you on the defensive end.

Canaan and Stauskas were awful last year. I don't think finding good shooters is as easy as you are claiming. The NBA is won beyond the arch now and the Sixers have a bunch of trees right now.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
It would almost certainly be a waste of time, but I would throw a max offer sheet at Beal or Fournier this summer. Make their respective team match, nothing to lose.

Googling Fournier results in unpleasant pictures when gangrene is near the top of results.

Aside.

Totally agree. There's no compensation in the NBA, so just throw money at teams and make them commit, or we get the missing piece we need. The cap is going to go up again, so we lock these guys in now, and they should out play their deals, they're still on the young side of prime years. Prefer Beal because he doesn't have a man-bun, but would be happy with either.

Or trade for CJ McCollum. Portland is going to be in the Atlanta situation in a few years with two really good guards. I think Lilliard has cemented his spot, so CJ might be available.

This was Hinkie's plan, #BasedGodHinkie

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Okafor has strong as hell upside -- I wouldn't trade him right now unless the package was strong. I want those points and I want that low post game with that touch he has.

Why trade Okafor now when 1) You can still draft 1 this year without trading and 2) Next year has a lot great ones come out that the Sixers will very likely be able to get. Just bandaid it for the moment, keep Okafor, and get a free one next year.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
If Embiid is healthy, then someone probably has to go.
But, until he proves that he can play, there's no need to rush that decision.

How far could the Sixers move up by packaging the two late 1sts?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If Embiid is healthy, then someone probably has to go.
But, until he proves that he can play, there's no need to rush that decision.

How far could the Sixers move up by packaging the two late 1sts?

The draft may be their best chance at maximizing return on Okafor though.

Also, couldn't Noel be considered an insurance policy for Okafor if Embiid's injury concerns pop back up?

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
The draft may be their best chance at maximizing return on Okafor though.

Also, couldn't Noel be considered an insurance policy for Okafor if Embiid's injury concerns pop back up?

Is Noel going to be the same kind of threat in a pick and roll?

I'm not opposed to reason Okafor if they can get an established guard, but Inthink they have another year before they really need to pull the trigger. Frankly, if Embiid can't go this yeah, I think it's time to start assuming the worst.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Watched some highlights of both Ingram & Simmons. Both look to be phenomenal players. They will just have to adjust there approach if they go Simmons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad