OT: Philadelphia 76ers - Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen... He Was Number One!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
It isn't certain that Safic comes over this year, nor is it certain that Embiid can actually get/stay healthy enough to stay on the court.

Until at least one, and perhaps both, of those things are true, I think trading Okafor might be premature. He's not an ideal fit with Simmonds at either end, but I think you have to try to make it work h until there's a better option. I also think it's plausible
That Okafor can develop a passable mid-range game to solve a little of the spacing issue at the offensive end. Defensively...uh...I dunno.

It actually is, he's already told his teammates in Turkey that he's leaving for the NBA this season.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
It isn't certain that Safic comes over this year, nor is it certain that Embiid can actually get/stay healthy enough to stay on the court.

Until at least one, and perhaps both, of those things are true, I think trading Okafor might be premature. He's not an ideal fit with Simmonds at either end, but I think you have to try to make it work h until there's a better option. I also think it's plausible
That Okafor can develop a passable mid-range game to solve a little of the spacing issue at the offensive end. Defensively...uh...I dunno.
There already is a much better option, Noel.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Interesting. I wonder why the major outlets haven't picked that up. I'm still reading about how he can make a ton more money by holding off a year--and he'll get less playing time with the selection of Simmons.

But that still leaves the team with on le true center (Okafor) until Embiid can prove he's healthy, right?

There is a much better option, Noel.

Offensively?

I guess I'm just of the position that unless you think Noel-Saric-Simmons can work at both ends, it is premature to deal Okafor for anything less than a killing until Embiid proves he can play.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
The Magic could never have received a lottery pick. It's complicated due to lottery protected firsts being owed from both the Bynum and Arnett Moultrie trades, but the gist of it is that the next time the Sixers make the playoffs, their first would have gone to Orlando.

Doesn't sound right, but I trust you...

Reckon it would've conveyed though, cause the Moultrie deal had an expiration date last year, and since we picked, this year would be available to get moved, since we also own next year free and clear.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Offensively?

I guess I'm just of the position that unless you think Noel-Saric-Simmons can work at both ends, it is premature to deal Okafor for anything less than a killing until Embiid proves he can play.
Yes, because Okafor and Simmons don't work offensively either. Both ball dominant guys that are best suited for opposite styles: Okafor, slow and methodical post up offense. Simmons, fast break offense. Okafor isn't as great of a threat in the pick and roll as Noel nor will he be running with Simmons in transition like Noel can. When Okafor has the ball in the post the player defending Simmons is just going to collapse on him because Simmons isn't a catch and shoot threat. It's also not ideal wasting Simmons' shot creation abilities by having him stand at the 3 point line watching Okafor for half the shot clock. It looks really awkward on paper which is why there's so many rumors/speculation out there. Even before looking at the offensive side the defensive concerns of that pairing squash the idea of playing them together.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
I think we need all need to take a minute to truly appreciate Sam Hinkie fleecing the Kings last summer. Not only do we get the option to swap picks next year, but we will have their unprotected 2019 pick, the year after Cousins contract ends.

I know 3 years is still a while, but the Kings will be a lottery team without him and I have no reason to believe they will be any better by then. We could be contending by 2019 and STILL have a potential top 3 pick. Truly remarkable, and the Sixers barely had to do anything to receive such. Loving the future of this team.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think we need all need to take a minute to truly appreciate Sam Hinkie fleecing the Kings last summer. Not only do we get the option to swap picks next year, but we will have their unprotected 2019 pick, the year after Cousins contract ends.

I know 3 years is still a while, but the Kings will be a lottery team without him and I have no reason to believe they will be any better by then. We could be contending by 2019 and STILL have a potential top 3 pick. Truly remarkable, and the Sixers barely had to do anything to receive such. Loving the future of this team.

I dont get why trades like this happen in the NBA. Makes no sense.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Yeah, they were trying to get top FA, (Wes Matthews come to mind) but no one wanted anything to do with that franchise... besides Rondo.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal

Between that and the Kwame Brown/Pau Gasol trade, which one is a bigger fleecing? :snide:

Fwiw: http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/5/20/11724080/la-lakers-draft-rumors-ben-simmons-philadelphia-76ers

Olgun Uluc of Fox Sports Australia reports that he "was told by a source close to Ben Simmons' camp, before the lottery, that they have no issue with the market in Philadelphia."

So it sounds as if his preference for LA may have been exaggerated.

Thank you very much. I prefer Ingram and is an objectively better fit for the Lakers.

They wanted cap space.

LOL, sounds like Sacramento is trying the Kwame Brown era Memphis Grizzlies formula. :naughty:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The preference for LA was basically not signing a shoe deal before the draft because he could have gotten more money out of them as a Laker.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
The preference for LA was basically not signing a shoe deal before the draft because he could have gotten more money out of them as a Laker.

Objectively speaking, Philadelphia is the #2 market in the East Coast, just #2 to New York City. Even frickin' Allen Iverson got a profitable shoe deal throughout his career in Philadelphia. Sheez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad