OT: Philadelphia 76ers (NBA): Joel and Noel

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
No one is saying it's a guarantee they will be at the top of the league in a few years but it does give them the best opportunity to compete. Whether you agree or not you need a franchise player to compete at the highest level. They're just maximizing those odds.

I know it's apples to oranges [kinda] but we've lambasted the pens org for close to decade now about their tanking but it's appreciated now with another philly team?

To me, the reason it is palatable in this case is that the 76ers community isn’t hiding their intent. Sure, management may not explicitly state that they are tanking. Though, I’d argue that, for all practical purposes, they probably are prohibited from doing so.

It seems to me that the Penguins and especially their fans were in total denial. Similar to how they were/are in regards to their team abandoning Pittsburgh as it seemed at one point the organization might do.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
It seems to me that the Penguins and especially their fans were in total denial. Similar to how they were/are in regards to their team abandoning Pittsburgh as it seemed at one point the organization might do.
maybe their fans were but it was almost as obvious regarding what the organization was doing at the time

interesting conversation here cause it seems like most of you were ripping larry brown a page ago for his comments but I can't ever recall seeing a flyer fan saying they were ok with what the pens did and it would be decent strategy for the flyers to do the same if they were ever in that position...

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
To me, the reason it is palatable in this case is that the 76ers community isn’t hiding their intent. Sure, management may not explicitly state that they are tanking. Though, I’d argue that, for all practical purposes, they probably are prohibited from doing so.

I think the big difference is that in the NBA, there's almost no alternative to being really bad if you want to get really good. It's not the same in hockey, even though it helps to get high picks you still have the option of building something little by little over a period of years. Plus, the Penguins got so lucky with the timing of their tank. It would be like getting Lebron and Dwight Howard in back to back years or something.

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
Miami didn't draft those guys
& Houston has had only 1 top 10 pick in the last 10 years

so yeah, more like 50/50

Oklahoma City is the model they're trying to luckily replicate

Actually they're trying to replicate Houston. The strategy, accumulate assets and cap space to be flipped for star players. They just need to get the assets healthy before they can be flipped.

TheSpectrum

Oct 18, 2011
If in the next 3 years they are able to reach Charlotte's level today I think the plan is going in the right direction.I kind of use them as a barometer for progress in the tank strategy.

The Hornets won 7 games in the 11-12 season. From that point they've added draft assets like Walker, MKG and Vonleh and added a major piece in the middle in Jefferson. Today they are a 2nd tier team in the Eastern Conference and will be primed to take the next step once Lebron begins to deteriorate.

The Sixers need to be at that 2nd level tier in the next 3 season IMO. I think if they are still stuck in this cycle of emptying the roster in the off-season then we can begin to question the strategy.

Until then, it is impossible to question if the strategy is a good or bad strategy.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The Larry Brown vs Scott O'Neil back and forth has been interesting.....

Brown does need to just back off. I'm perfectly fine with the plan....others may not be and that is fine too but this team had little choice after botching the Bynum trade....

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-76ers/larry-brown-who-scott-o’neil-way

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-76ers/sixers-ceo-scott-oneil-takes-dig-larry-brown

Brown was on WIP this morning and apologized for the comments (or at least said they came out wrong). He went in to the fact that he feels Hinke should be open about what he is doing, and his main point was that it isn't good for the young players to be taught that losing acceptable. He really thinks there should be some veteran leadership and trading players like Hawes, Holliday, and Young will hurt more than it helps because the young guys have no one to look up to.

Then he also talked about how he was offended by how the new ownership is treating former players and himself. Apparently Brown has former 6ers guys on his staff right now, and they wanted to be in attendance for the AI night, but the team wouldn't work with Brown and his staff to coordinate (which apparently, other teams do, he said the Pistons have been working with him to schedule an anniversary night with the 2004 team, and so has Kansas in the past when people are honored).

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Brown was on WIP this morning and apologized for the comments (or at least said they came out wrong). He went in to the fact that he feels Hinke should be open about what he is doing, and his main point was that it isn't good for the young players to be taught that losing acceptable. He really thinks there should be some veteran leadership and trading players like Hawes, Holliday, and Young will hurt more than it helps because the young guys have no one to look up to.

Then he also talked about how he was offended by how the new ownership is treating former players and himself. Apparently Brown has former 6ers guys on his staff right now, and they wanted to be in attendance for the AI night, but the team wouldn't work with Brown and his staff to coordinate (which apparently, other teams do, he said the Pistons have been working with him to schedule an anniversary night with the 2004 team, and so has Kansas in the past when people are honored).

Yeah I heard his whole narrative....it's not without its valid points but obviously he has an axe to grind because his big ego was hurt and he feels slighted by the org. He has a right to speak his mind but he should have done so more tactfully IMO. Also, again he made a lot of contradictory statements.

I hope that when the Sixers are good again they continue to ostracise him considering it is clear he doesn't endorse a single thing this organization is doing to gain SUSTAINABLE respectability...even to the point of mocking the location of the new practice facility which was totally picayune IMO.

If this plan doesn't pan out then he will be able to gloat but I suspect he'll be eating his words...

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Charles Barkley had some bad things to say about the org last time I heard him on WIP too. I can't remember what he said, but where there's smoke...

there are mirrors.....Charles and Larry will be staring at one when they are in their clown suits and the Sixers are beasts in the East in a few years!

Last edited:

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
If in the next 3 years they are able to reach Charlotte's level today I think the plan is going in the right direction.I kind of use them as a barometer for progress in the tank strategy.

The Hornets won 7 games in the 11-12 season. From that point they've added draft assets like Walker, MKG and Vonleh and added a major piece in the middle in Jefferson. Today they are a 2nd tier team in the Eastern Conference and will be primed to take the next step once Lebron begins to deteriorate.

The Sixers need to be at that 2nd level tier in the next 3 season IMO. I think if they are still stuck in this cycle of emptying the roster in the off-season then we can begin to question the strategy.

Until then, it is impossible to question if the strategy is a good or bad strategy.

I don't think Charlotte will make the jump.

Their best player Jefferson will be 30 in January (so his skills will deteriorate before Lebron's). Plus they are at the cap for next year already so they won't be able to add that next piece. Then when they get some space the following year, Jefferson will need a new contract (But do you want to sink a multi-year deal into a 32 year old?). They've entered the treadmill and will have to get off it in 2016 to get back in the top of the lottery.

The Sixers are in a better position going forward IMO.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

Their best player Jefferson will be 30 in January (so his skills will deteriorate before Lebron's). Plus they are at the cap for next year already so they won't be able to add that next piece. Then when they get some space the following year, Jefferson will need a new contract (But do you want to sink a multi-year deal into a 32 year old?). They've entered the treadmill and will have to get off it in 2016 to get back in the top of the lottery.

jefferson is a below the rim big man a la zach randolph. He doesn't need athleticism to be effective.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Charles Barkley had some bad things to say about the org last time I heard him on WIP too. I can't remember what he said, but where there's smoke....
Weird. He was singing a different song in June. He wanted the team to draft Embiid and agreed with the direction of the organization. Barkley is a loud mouth though, he trashed the Lakers and Knicks constantly last night on TNT.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Charlotte got hurt just like the Sixers did. When they got the #2 pick, they missed on the stud and ended up with a role player (MKG). I liked Zeller coming out but he hasn't made much of an impact. I like Vonleh, but still wondering why he fell to 9. Kemba is a good player, but he's not very efficient and isn't a great playmaker. Lance is OK, but it remains to be seen if he can be a lead guard.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Side note. Watched Exum's first game a few dats ago. Kid looked nasty. I know Joel will be a monster, but I am glad so far the "Exum is an unknown risk" crew are looking wrong. Obviously only one game but a great start for the 19 yr old

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
This is a fun game.

How about the little things Noel does on D? Smothers Ilyasova on the perimeter leading to a pass out of bounds. Constantly getting his hand up to bother jump shooters leading to misses. Stopping Giannis on the fast break leading to a turnover. Etc.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
How about the little things Noel does on D? Smothers Ilyasova on the perimeter leading to a pass out of bounds. Constantly getting his hand up to bother jump shooters leading to misses. Stopping Giannis on the fast break leading to a turnover. Etc.

Only reason they have the lead. Just having him on the floor makes them a better defensive team- they were brutal last year because no one outside of a few games of Jarvis Varnado could challenge a shot at the rim. He changes so many looks and shots. Can switch and still have a chance because of his length and athleticism. Just needs to harness his game a little bit, but that will come with experience. Needs better technique rebounding too. He's just getting by on his ability in that regard. And obviously needs to continue to get stronger.

Offensively, his jump is still UGLLLLY, but he's keeping it simple for the most part with putbacks and dunks.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It was a fun game until 8 minutes to go where the Sixers couldn't take the lid off the basket. This is going to be a fun team to watch when they get all the pieces in place...until then though...

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
This team hangs in for 3 quarters and then just collapses in the 4th. Considering the goal of the season, it's probably for the best.

Nerlens was really quiet tonight.

KJ McDaniels is a freak of nature. You better take it hard to the cup or he is swatting it. Don't think I've ever seen a guard as good as he is at it. He's going to be a really useful role player I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad