OT: Philadelphia 76ers (NBA): Joel and Noel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
I'm not concerned at all on how many games the sixers win. I believe we have our core (or most of it, even though some aren't playing with the team) and now it's time to develop what we got while most likely securing a top 5 draft pick again this year.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Larry Brown is a clown.....

NEW YORK - As the 76ers begin another unabashed effort to post the worst record in the NBA, former coach Larry Brown says he is disgusted by what has become of the team he led to the NBA Finals in 2001.

"I hate what's going on in Philly," the Hall of Fame coach said Wednesday. "They don't have a basketball person in the organization. It makes me sick to my stomach."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...wn_rips_Sixers__plan.html#EcyhU2AQCY4biEAb.99

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
I didn't see tonight's game. I see they lost.

My excuse is that I'm watching game 7 of the WS. I will not have that excuse for the majority of the 81 games left that I'll probably miss.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I didn't see tonight's game. I see they lost.

My excuse is that I'm watching game 7 of the WS. I will not have that excuse for the majority of the 81 games left that I'll probably miss.

It was an ok game....I watched most of it. Sixers did their best to hang in there but then the Pacers just turned it up a bit and decided to play a bit harder and put to rest any Sixer hope of an upset. Gonna see a lot of that......teams will either blow them out or let them hang in for a while and then close them out.

Noel did pretty well on the defensive end.....showed some glimpses of offense but still a work in progress in that area. I like KJ McDaniels. Shved (who looks like my Avatar) and Wroten did well on the offensive side although Wroten takes a lot of shots but not like there are many options.....

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Larry Brown is a clown.....

so what does he suggest they do? im not a b-ball fan, but from my understanding, it's next to impossible to build a contending team with middle and late 1st round picks. it's not like hockey where you can find elite talent beyond the early part of the 1st round.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
so what does he suggest they do? im not a b-ball fan, but from my understanding, it's next to impossible to build a contending team with middle and late 1st round picks. it's not like hockey where you can find elite talent beyond the early part of the 1st round.

He suggests the Sixers be mired in mediocrity for decades basically.......

He's just being a clown. Like Zarley noted....his statements are full of contradictions.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Larry Brown understands the Xs and Os of basketball. He doesn't understand how to build a winner in a cap era. You either tank or hope an established superstar decides he wants to play for your team.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
It was an ok game....I watched most of it. Sixers did their best to hang in there but then the Pacers just turned it up a bit and decided to play a bit harder and put to rest any Sixer hope of an upset. Gonna see a lot of that......teams will either blow them out or let them hang in for a while and then close them out.

Noel did pretty well on the defensive end.....showed some glimpses of offense but still a work in progress in that area. I like KJ McDaniels. Shved (who looks like my Avatar) and Wroten did well on the offensive side although Wroten takes a lot of shots but not like there are many options.....

I really liked what I saw from Shved when I was watching last night. I also noticed how he looked like he had toothpicks for legs.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I really liked what I saw from Shved when I was watching last night. I also noticed how he looked like he had toothpicks for legs.

I've liked Shved since the 2012 Olympics. He's a talented player. A little streaky, but he can play in the league. He lit up the Sixers a couple years ago.

Last edited:

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
im not a b-ball fan, but from my understanding, it's next to impossible to build a contending team with middle and late 1st round picks. it's not like hockey where you can find elite talent beyond the early part of the 1st round.
not true at all
the spurs haven't had a high 1st round draft pick since eric lindros was on the flyers
in fact they haven't had a draft pick better than #20 in round 1 since 1997

I kinda agree with Larry B

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Relative to the player Anthony Davis appears to be, how would you describe Joel and Noel’s potential?

Thanks.

Noel is probably a hair better defensively at the same stage. Way behind offensively.

Embiid could have the same impact if everything goes well, but Davis is a top % player already. Don't think Embiid has that kind of impact that quickly. I think Embiid will have more of a low post presence than Davis due to his size.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
not true at all
the spurs haven't had a high 1st round draft pick since eric lindros was on the flyers
in fact they haven't had a draft pick better than #20 in round 1 since 1997

I kinda agree with Larry B

Well that pick turned out to be the best PF of all-time who has been the building block of that team. He's still playing at a high level. That's not a great example.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Well that pick turned out to be the best PF of all-time who has been the building block of that team. He's still playing at a high level. That's not a great example.
but one player never makes a team
what the spurs have done since then, with their late picks, have been more important to their success as they have not been a team that has signed big free-agent acquisitions.

there are a handful of teams in the league who were 50+ win teams last year who haven't had high draft picks in quite sometime, and plenty of crappy teams who have had plenty of high draft picks over the last decade+

what the 76ers are doing has severely reduced my fandom

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
what the spurs have done since then, with their late picks, have been more important to their success as they have not been a team that has signed big free-agent acquisitions.

there are a handful of teams in the league who were 50+ win teams last year who haven't had high draft picks in quite sometime, and plenty of crappy teams who have had plenty of high draft picks over the last decade+

One player actually can go a long way toward making a team, especially when that player is Tim Duncan. Most of the 50 win teams last year had key players who were picked in the top 5 of the draft.

Besides, when the Spurs drafted Ginobili and Parker, I don't think NBA scouting of Euro players was what it is today. They probably wouldn't have stayed on the board so long in today's league.

Totally not trying to be provocative, but it's increasing mine.

I appreciate the strategy and I think it's refreshing to watch management work the hand that they have been dealt in a common sense fashion. My point in regards to your comment, though, is that it may be a wash as far as fan support goes.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Most of the 50 win teams last year had key players who were picked in the top 5 of the draft.
quick glance would seem to be about 50/50

Totally not trying to be provocative, but it's increasing mine.

I appreciate the strategy
that's interesting
I know it's apples to oranges [kinda] but we've lambasted the pens org for close to decade now about their tanking but it's appreciated now with another philly team?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

It does in the NBA. There's no doubt what Pop has done with that team has been remarkable. He has been part of the sustained success, but let's not act like they've done this all through scouting. They got there franchise player from being a bad team.

As far as your fandom, what did you want them to do? Continue being an 8th/9th place team? They were maxed out when Hinkie came. They were never going to be a contender. So now they finally have a plan in place for a championship and you want them to try and be what they were before? Doesn't make sense. It sucks that the NBA has to be this way, but it is what it is. They will change the rules eventually because Hinkie is making a mockery of them.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
quick glance would seem to be about 50/50

Miami, SA, OKC, LAC, Houston and Portland. Which leaves Indy and GS that don't. 4 of the 6 teams that did were led by guys picked #1 overall. Kevin Durant, who would have gone 1st in almost any other year, and Lamarcus Aldridge were exceptions. Both went second. In the playoffs, the teams with high picks won both of the series' against the other 50 win clubs. Stars win in the NBA and the best way to get them is through the draft. And it usually has to be a high pick.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
It does in the NBA.
no it doesn't
you need 2 and maybe 3 great players on your team to seriously compete
As far as your fandom, what did you want them to do?
So now they finally have a plan in place for a championship and you want them to try and be what they were before? Doesn't make sense.
I haven't bought into this notion that this plan will have them at the tops of the league in a few year's time, especially in this new era where the recent drafts are littered with lots of busts from high picks.

Miami, SA, OKC, LAC, Houston and Portland. Which leaves Indy and GS that don't. 4 of the 6 teams that did were led by guys picked #1 overall.
Miami didn't draft those guys
& Houston has had only 1 top 10 pick in the last 10 years

so yeah, more like 50/50

Oklahoma City is the model they're trying to luckily replicate

Last edited:

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Miami didn't draft those guys
& Houston has had only 1 top 10 pick in the last 10 years

so yeah, more like 50/50

Oklahoma City is the model they're trying to luckily replicate

Miami drafted Dwyane Wade 5th and they also have a pretty attractive city to entice FAs. Without those things- things the Sixers don't have- they don't lure LeBron and Bosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad