Phil Kessel ranks 43rd on TSN's Top 50 NHL players

scosar

Mar 17, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Many fans only see points as the most important factor to rank players but NHL professionals see player impact and contribution in all areas that help a team win.

Its why a Selke trophy winning 2-way top center like Patrice Bergeron #16 ranks much higher in their eyes then a 1-way scoring winger like Kessel #43 when it comes to helping a team win. Killing penalties, winning key face-offs, shutting down other teams top players, providing leadership, hitting, blocking shots etc. all add above and beyond just goals and assists to player value\contribution.

Its also why a 10 ten in scoring dman signs for $2M a year. There is more to playing defense than just scoring with one timers from the point. Nobody is saying Kessel is bad or won't score at the same rate or better than last year. Just that as he is a one way player who is never seen on the PK there are 42 players more important to their team than Phil. Hell last year it could be said that Reimer was more important to the Leafs. If he isn't stellar the Leafs don't make the play-offs.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=432765

On TSN's ranking of the Top 50 NHL players Kessel ranked 43rd which is an improvement from ranking 47th in the previous one. However I was surprised that he didn't rank among the top 30 or even 20 based on his play from the past few seasons and they have Taylor Hall out ranking him at 39th. So what are your opinions or does something like this even matter?

We have one player in the top 50, we don't get much love do we.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Kessel still continues to be one of the most underrated players in the league.

When Phil plays in all three zones he'll get the recognition. Last years playoffs were an indication the might be able to do that, but can or will he carry that over to this season.

All Day Kessel

Sep 22, 2013
Canada
I stopped looking at lists like these, because they're always just terrible and Kessel never gets the respect he deserves. It's just frustrating.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
When Phil plays in all three zones he'll get the recognition. Last years playoffs were an indication the might be able to do that, but can or will he carry that over to this season.

God forbid but if Kessel played for the Rangers he'd be top 15 :laugh: we know it's true:rant:

thom

Mar 6, 2012
if its true gms and coaches voted in the list than they know a lot more than people on site because goals are not the stat pros look at there are many other variables.Kesel seems a bit low but who am i too judge the gms

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
if its true gms and coaches voted in the list than they know a lot more than people on site because goals are not the stat pros look at there are many other variables.Kesel seems a bit low but who am i too judge the gms

So you never have an opinion about a signing, trade or draft pick. Just go with the GM must be right. Cool.

phg

Sep 11, 2013
Lots of talent on the list for sure. When you have a quick look at the list without analyzing all the stats for every player, you can make a good argument why Kessell is better than several of them. By way of example, and just one example, you look at where Kopitar is placed and you consider his stats and the team he was on, it's hard to understand the rationale in placing him ahead of Kessell..

Disgruntled Observer*

If Kessel played for any other team, leaf fans would be saying how Kessel is a lazy one dimensional defensive liability who doesn't belong on the top 50 list at all.
But he's a leaf.
So leaf fans say he belongs in the top 20.

It's just the way it is.
It's not going to change.
No matter how frustrated I get, people simply aren't going to change.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
"Assuming" there are 30 teams and there is one coach and one GM per team this is a subjective poll by 14 people out of 60, 7 of whom didn't see him play last year so I would also assume those 7 western coaches/GMs might have gone by his previous rep rather than knowing he took fairly big strides forward as a player last year. I would take Phil over at least half of the players rated ahead of him.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
You know I am going to take the Kessel approach to this and just say "whatever lets play some hackey.". I mean it is pretty subjective because I mean what qualifies as a "good hockey player." TSN might be looking for the more "complete" player who plays a 200ft game rather than a offensive dynamo like Kessel. (And no this is not me critiquing Kessel because quite frankly the offense Kessel can and will provide outweighs the fact his defensive game is not spectacular.)

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Lots of talent on the list for sure. When you have a quick look at the list without analyzing all the stats for every player, you can make a good argument why Kessell is better than several of them. By way of example, and just one example, you look at where Kopitar is placed and you consider his stats and the team he was on, it's hard to understand the rationale in placing him ahead of Kessell..

You dont understand why Kopitar is ranked higher then Kessel? :help:

And for every one who thinks that this list can or will be used as an argument by Leafs to get PK to sign a cheaper deal... dream on. Kessel is a special player with his set of skills, that is why, even do he is one of the least complete hockey players on the list, that he still make it. And he will get paid good money for what he brings to the ice namely speed and one of the best shots in the league. A player can still be considered a better hockey player and even more important to his team then Phil is but special talents is rewarded with big contracts so I think he will get paid as a top 10 point producer rather then a 43rd ranked hockey player.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
What a joke.

Surprising how the Leafs are considered a playoff-caliber team with NO top 40 NHL players... and only one player in the top 50.

But it's all good... things like this doesn't influence the play of the players on the ice!! You know, where the game is actually played!

BayStreetBullies*

If Kessel played for any other team, leaf fans would be saying how Kessel is a lazy one dimensional defensive liability who doesn't belong on the top 50 list at all.
But he's a leaf.
So leaf fans say he belongs in the top 20.

It's just the way it is.
It's not going to change.
No matter how frustrated I get, people simply aren't going to change.

Well well, look who decided to come crawling back.

How would you know what Leafs fans would be saying if Kessel played for another team? Not everyone shares the same lowly opinion you have of Kessel, even though he continues to prove haters like you wrong time and time again. And some Leafs fans think top 30 is fair enough, and top 20 certainly isn't unreasonable. He sure as hell deserves to be ahead of the likes of Neal, Parise, and Hall.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You dont understand why Kopitar is ranked higher then Kessel? :help:

And for every one who thinks that this list can or will be used as an argument by Leafs to get PK to sign a cheaper deal... dream on. Kessel is a special player with his set of skills, that is why, even do he is one of the least complete hockey players on the list, that he still make it. And he will get paid good money for what he brings to the ice namely speed and one of the best shots in the league. A player can still be considered a better hockey player and even more important to his team then Phil is but special talents is rewarded with big contracts so I think he will get paid as a top 10 point producer rather then a 43rd ranked hockey player.
Teams with the best players with the best cap-friendly contracts in a cap world are the most cup competitive by logic and reasoning.

Teams With the Most Players on Top 50
Chicago: 5 (Toews, Kane, Keith, Hossa, Sharp)
Pittsburgh: 4 (Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Neal)
Boston: 4 (Chara, Bergeron, Lucic, Krejci)
Los Angeles: 4 (Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Brown)

What do these teams all have in common besides having the most players in the top 50?.

Leafs have 1 player in the top 50 best NHL players as determined by GMs and coaches and he is about to be among the highest paid NHLers with a Leafs team trying to be Cup competitive against recent Stanley Cup winners with 4 or 5 players most ranked above Kessel as better NHLers.

What's wrong with that picture, and how do Leafs fan like our Cup chances as a result?.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
WTF does this list have to do with our cup chances?

Shouldn't teams with the best players have the best odds of success?.

Last 5 Cup winners Chicago X 2, LA, Boston, Pittsburgh.

&

Teams With the Most Players on Top 50
Chicago: 5 (Toews, Kane, Keith, Hossa, Sharp)
Pittsburgh: 4 (Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Neal)
Boston: 4 (Chara, Bergeron, Lucic, Krejci)
Los Angeles: 4 (Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Brown)

Notice a connection here between this ranking and Stanley Cups? ;)

Now how many Leafs in comparison are on the list?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad