Phil Kessel ranks 43rd on TSN's Top 50 NHL players

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Shouldn't teams with the best players have the best odds of success?.

Last 5 Cup winners Chicago X 2, LA, Boston, Pittsburgh.

&

Teams With the Most Players on Top 50
Chicago: 5 (Toews, Kane, Keith, Hossa, Sharp)
Pittsburgh: 4 (Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Neal)
Boston: 4 (Chara, Bergeron, Lucic, Krejci)
Los Angeles: 4 (Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Brown)

Notice a connection here between this ranking and Stanley Cups? ;)

Now how many Leafs in comparison are on the list?

yep, being a support player on a cup winner is definitely the easiest way to get overrated.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Did I say they collectively conspired against the Leafs organization? No, I said they have biases and agendas, like any other person on earth. That's all. Who benefited and who fell because of those biases is impossible to know, but it's a given that they're there.

Most coaches and GMs are going to favour their own players first, their division second, and their conference third. That's a bias. Do you doubt that?

Just to expand on this, one of the first things I noticed when looking at this list was players from the old Southeast being collectively undervalued.

Stamkos @ 4
Ovechkin @ 7
Martin St. Louis @ 26
Eric Staal @ 28
Nicklas Backstrom @ 40

No Andrew Ladd.
No Jordan Staal.
No Alexander Semin.

Now I would argue every single one of those players deserves to be ranked higher. Then it occurred to me that probably no GMs or coaches participated from the Southeast division. If that's the case, that's 100% selection bias, and an entire division of players fell because of it. Picking half the league's GMs and coaches to do this was actually the wrong thing to do; they all have a horse in this race.

Last edited:

SkittlyRit

Aug 9, 2006
Toronto, Canada
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=432765

On TSN's ranking of the Top 50 NHL players Kessel ranked 43rd which is an improvement from ranking 47th in the previous one. However I was surprised that he didn't rank among the top 30 or even 20 based on his play from the past few seasons and they have Taylor Hall out ranking him at 39th. So what are your opinions or does something like this even matter?

Believe it or not, Taylor Hall ranked 3rd among last year's top 30 point producing players in points per minutes played (behind Crosby and Kunitz). Kadri was 7th and Kessel was 12th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad