Phil Kessel Discussion Thread. (no goals as of Feb 4, 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
It is not luck.

That a player leads the league in shots, but has zero goals, tells me he is not going to goal scoring areas.

If you have 40 shots, but haven't been able to put a rebound into a yawning cage, you aren't playing good positional hockey.

DaveT83*

It is not luck.

That a player leads the league in shots, but has zero goals, tells me he is not going to goal scoring areas.

If you have 40 shots, but haven't been able to put a rebound into a yawning cage, you aren't playing good positional hockey.

See examples Jason Blake + Matt Lombardi

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
It's not supportable though, you honestly think if Kessel was breaking league scoring records, we'd throw him up on the cross after six games?

Not true, invalid point, waste of time.

But some of us are happy to throw a 25 year old 4 time consecutive 30+ goals PPG elite sniper out of town for some picks and prospects...go figure.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Obviously the flip side is that this can't help his trade value.

Every sane GM knows that Kessel is going through a slump at the moment -- 9 games without a goal will not all of a sudden erase the last 4 years of 130+ goals playing without a #1 C. But some of these internet GM's think it does.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Had you read my posts you would have understood that I was not attacking Kessel about his lack of scoring at all......I understand slumps etc. Read my posts and you will find that I have always focus on his willingness to compete.

I fully understood you point about Gretzky was but it was not valid as I have never attacked Kessel about his production. So hence why I asked what you point was.

I guess I expected that you had read my post before posting....sorry I will not make that same mistake again.

This is a debated about Kessel and his slump has nothing at all to do with my opinion regarding him. He is a very soft frighten player and he could score 30 goals from this point to the end of the season and my opinion of him will not change unless his play on the ice changes....that he shows that he is willing to engage in the physical aspect of the game. Not expecting him to be a bruiser or anything close, but at least be willing to be take a check to score a goal, or to get the puck out of the D zone.

Still don't think you're getting what I was trying to say, but let's move on.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Maybe if you read my opinion of Kessel you would understand what my whole point is......I do not for a minute believe that Kessel does not understand what to do when he does not have the puck or where to be defensively in the D zone.....I believe that his is an intelligent player. My premise is that he lacks the guts/nuts etc to do it as seen by his play.

Nice jab at a guy who survived testicular cancer and left with one testicle. And you must be watching a different game than some of us.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
Every sane GM knows that Kessel is going through a slump at the moment -- 9 games without a goal will not all of a sudden erase the last 4 years of 130+ goals playing without a #1 C. But some of these internet GM's think it does.

Notice how I said it can't help his trade value.

If you think that this slump will elicit calls from GMs (which is what I responded to), presumably it would be at a perceived value.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
But some of us are happy to throw a 25 year old 4 time consecutive 30+ goals PPG elite sniper out of town for some picks and prospects...go figure.

There's a huge difference, and that was my point.

I try not to ignore the fact he has a NMC and will be looking to renegotiate his deal, or that this team has been questionable defensively and he represents this on some level. I also think that if the value is comparable (picks/prospects) that given the current state of the team, questionable core, and questionable direction, it calls for a review of a potential transaction.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

I try not to ignore the fact he has a NMC and will be looking to renegotiate his deal, or that this team has been questionable defensively and he represents this on some level. I also think that if the value is comparable (picks/prospects) that given the current state of the team, questionable core, and questionable direction, it calls for a review of a potential transaction.
It's not his job to defend anymore than its Gunnarssons job to light the lamp.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
It is not luck.

Then it would stand to reason that his shot location and distribution would be different that it has been in previous years. Based on what I've seen, this is not the case. He is taking the same shots from the same locations as always, they just aren't going in. It's called a slump. Nearly all top scorers go through it at some point in the season, and most seasons Kessel does to. Yet somehow he always ends up on pace for 30 or more. Why should I believe this season is any different?

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

I don't ignore it either, however I also don't jump to conclusions that our best player is just gonna bolt for no apparent reason.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Sure, anyway, my point is I don't consider him untradable.

Given that you don't even mention value in your posts, I assume you do?

i dont get the love fest for kessel ...its completely out of our hands .......i think MSLE looked at the leafs entire organization ,during the lockout and has its own agenda in mind
im not sure kessel will get dealt ,but i assure u brian burke would not have dealt him ,and hence hes gone
and nonis may not wanna trade kessel ,but if he cant justify a raise kesel may walk ,the lockout was bad timing for lots of players ,but the leafs changed owners and for all we know did research around the league and quietly asked other hockey people their evaluation of the current leaf roster
im betting they didnt get an overwhelming endoresment of the current product

Durrrrrr

Jun 23, 2011
Sure, anyway, my point is I don't consider him untradable.

Given that you don't even mention value in your posts, I assume you do?

Everyone is tradable.
Your opposition is questioning why you start with your best piece.
It would be like the Habs looking to trade Subban or Price for size up the middle

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Everyone is tradable.
Your opposition is questioning why you start with your best piece.
It would be like the Habs looking to trade Subban or Price for size up the middle

Because the best piece does not fit in anymore. And potential #1 on D and legit #1 in net is not secondary pieces like a soft goal scoring wingers is so I dont know why you bring them up.

If another team is willing to pay a good price (1st + one or two good prospects) for Kessel we should accept it and wish him good luck.

mrsauve

Dec 23, 2012
Toronto
Kessel is the softest player in the NHL!

There is no other player currently playing in the nhl that purposely gives up the puck to avoid a hit more than Kessel.Not even semin is this soft...

Having to watch him skate around the perimeter every game and never battle for a puck is extremely depressing as a leafs fan. Having to come to terms with the fact that leaf management would even entertain the possibility of resigning him long term as part of our "Core" is so depressing.
If the leafs made the playoffs he would be even more useless out there as everyone else raises there compete level.

There is no room for a player like this on a winning team regardless of how skilled he is. Trade him now well we can still get something for him...

mrsauve

Dec 23, 2012
Toronto
Do you even watch puck? Do you not realize what a team like STL would do to the leafs in a 7 game playoff series... kessel would be no where to be found.

david999

Jan 21, 2011
Kessel is not a soft player to begin with. Some players like to hit more because they can't score or contribute with their playmaking. I guess playing in the best league in the world against the best checkers and defence pairings most nights makes someone soft:rant:

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Not to mention he's not the softest player in the league. Hemsky seems like an obvious choice, and Patrick Kane is even softer than Kessel. Kessel just doesn't have the ability to open space for himself like Kane, nor does he have players like Sharp/Hossa/Toews to assist him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad