Phil Kessel Discussion Thread. (no goals as of Feb 4, 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
What are you talking about? Barely makes it through a shift? He's not falling over or anything. And majority of the time, every shift, he's standing out and doing a lot. You're going off looks and your previous assumptions from 3 years ago. If he wasn't in shape, he wouldn't be able to play 20 minutes a game like he has. Who cares if he's chubby or far from his optimum fitness level? That can be said about PLENTY of players in the NHL. But not all of them are playing 20 minutes a night, against #1 defensemen and still scoring 30 goals in a season like Phil.

What do u mean? Going 9 games with 0 goals and is GASSED after every shift. I expect a little more out of a 5.4 million dollar player. A little commitment would be nice and maybe show up at camp with less body fat ? Yes please.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Not "magically"... we suck because our top player is kessel who is not a legitimate top 2 player on a championship capable team. The fact that he gets points does not make him a "Top" player that a team could lean on...
Most coaches in the NHL would rather have a guy like Backess than Phil "Im afraid to get hit" kessel in a playoff game.

And you know this because....you're an NHL coach, right? I'm sorry, but you're talking completely out of your rear end. You don't like Kessel, I got it. It's obvious no amount of reasoning is going to convince you that Phil Kessel is an impact player, and one of the best at what he does in the league.

I like Kessel, I think he's a helluva player, and I hope Nonis can bring in a big two-way centre so Phil can play the game to his strengths.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
What do u mean? Going 9 games with 0 goals and is GASSED after every shift. I expect a little more out of a 5.4 million dollar player. A little commitment would be nice and maybe show up at camp with less body fat ? Yes please.

What were his body fat levels for this season? Any idea?

Yes he has 0 goals, but he's been buzzing. He's had chances. He's not just sitting there sulking and huffing and puffing. There's lots every player can do to improve but Phil's is far from conditioning.. Blind hate right here at it's finest.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Its called reality. ;)

With no facts or evidence to back up your claims but a picture from 3 years ago and the way he is at the end of every shift. (which is 100% different then the way every player is after a long shift.)

DaveT83*

So first our team sucks because we have no top line players and now we suck because we have a top line player, but our team is magically just awful regardless of how good he is?

Shift those goalposts...

The team has finished 2nd, 9th, 5th and appear to be well on their way to another bottom 10 finish with PHIL KESSEL as the only commodity. In 4 years we have yet to find him anyone of significance to play with - because we simply cannot attract QUALITY UFA's - and we cannot AFFORD to trade anymore assets in a desperate attempt to help facilitate ONE PLAYER.

On top of that we have arguably the worst Goaltending tandem in game.
We have arguably one of the worst Defence Cores
We have no leadership - anywhere
Our Top6 is so small and easy to play against its a miracle we can score any goals at all.
Thanks in large part to the acquisition of PHIL KESSEL himself

And to top it all off PHIL KESSEL hasn't scored in 15 games.

The only thing "Magical" about any of this is that he's still a member of the team.

Last edited by a moderator:

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I think that was the point. He went a PPG in the playoffs as a 22 year old. That's pretty solid, I think we can all agree with that.

Lets not forget this "young sniper" was benched in that Montreal series, for not working hard on the ice, being out of shape all year and not playing the system. Then he was traded at the end of the year after the playoffs for assets(SEguin and HAmilton) that didnt help them win the cup when they did. So they got rid of Kessel(recieved future picks) and won the cup. U removed him and won without him and had nothing to replace him when u won it. What was his impact? More negative than positive from the Bruins perspective. IT sounds like his impact was little and all the other stuff out weighed what he provided. The cup proved the Bruins were correct.

DaveT83*

And you know this because....you're an NHL coach, right? I'm sorry, but you're talking completely out of your rear end. You don't like Kessel, I got it. It's obvious no amount of reasoning is going to convince you that Phil Kessel is an impact player, and one of the best at what he does in the league.

I like Kessel, I think he's a helluva player, and I hope Nonis can bring in a big two-way centre so Phil can play the game to his strengths.

I think you should get your own team - Burke can run it - Wilson can coach it - and every single player on roster will serve one purpose and one purpose only - to help facilitate the scoring production of PHIL KESSEL Forget WINS/LOSSES - all that will matter is Phils stat sheet.

"Hey your team lost again last night eh?"
"So did you see how many shot attempts Phil Kessel took? He looked amazing."

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
The team has finished 2nd, 9th, 5th and appear to be well on their way to another bottom 10 finish with PHIL KESSEL as the only commodity. In 4 years we have yet to find him anyone of significance to play with - because we simply cannot attract QUALITY UFA's - and we cannot AFFORD to trade anymore assets in a desperate attempt to help facilitate ONE PLAYER.

On top of that we have arguably the worst Goaltending tandem in game.
We have arguably one of the worst Defence Cores
We have no leadership - anywhere
Our Top6 is so small and easy to play against its a miracle we can score any goals at all.

And to top it all off PHIL KESSEL hasn't scored in 15 games.

The only thing "Magical" about any of this is that he's still a member of the team.

Dude stop you're starting to sound like DO, complete with random-ass capitalizations. Cool Hockey Fact of the Day: Phil Kessel is not the entire team. This entire post is the definition of the term "scapegoating."

I think you should get your own team - Burke can run it - Wilson can coach it - and every single player on roster will serve one purpose and one purpose only - to help facilitate the scoring production of PHIL KESSEL Forget WINS/LOSSES - all that will matter is Phils stat sheet.

"Hey your team lost again last night eh?"
"So did you see how many shot attempts Phil Kessel took? He looked amazing."

You're a very strange little man.

buntek

Jun 2, 2011
Toronto
Kessel is not in shape and is not a dedicated player off the ice. He slipped up during an interview at training camp and said something along the lines of "yeah it's going to be hard out there, we're here to get in shape" And then had the look of "I think I just stepped in poopoo"

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Dude stop you're starting to sound like DO, complete with random-ass capitalizations. Cool Hockey Fact of the Day: Phil Kessel is not the entire team. This entire post is the definition of the term "scapegoating."

But it's Phil Kessel's team? Means everything's his fault when we're not scoring or winning!

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Scapegoating?????????

PLEASEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Your best players, your highest paid players have to be just that, your best. Dion, Phil.

PK and DP have not been that under RCs system. Toss in other top paid names like Komi,Conn

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Okay, let's see, what could that mean?

"Tonight's the Night" that:

a) the world ends
b) Roberto Luongo is finally traded
c) the Rolling Stones retire
d) Emma Stone asks you out
e) Phil gets his first goal of the season
f) all of the above.

You pick.

buntek

Jun 2, 2011
Toronto
Scapegoating?????????

PLEASEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Your best players, your highest paid players have to be just that, your best. Dion, Phil.

PK or DP have not been that under RCs system.

He's right. Our best players aren't showing up, and if it weren't for the line of Kadri, Frattin and Komarov, our record would be abismal.

I love Grabo, but you can throw him in there too.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Scapegoating?????????

PLEASEEEEEEE!!!!!!

PK or DP have not been that under RCs system.

Phaneuf
Lupul
Grabo

Three guys higher paid than Kessel ;)

I agree however that Phaneuf needs to step up. 10 games played and one assist to show for it? Really is starting to hamper the team. His defensive play on a good night is sound but we need his offensive skills just as much.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
Okay, let's see, what could that mean?

"Tonight's the Night" that:

a) the world ends
b) Roberto Luongo is finally traded
c) the Rolling Stones retire
d) Emma Stone asks you out
d) Phil gets his first goal of the season
e) all of the above.

You pick.

nothing about the leafs?
oh ya maybe thats the answer nothing

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
Phaneuf
Lupul
Grabo

Three guys higher paid than Kessel ;)

I agree however that Phaneuf needs to step up. 10 games played and one assist to show for it? Really is starting to hamper the team. His defensive play on a good night is sound but we need his offensive skills just as much.

Kessel makes more than Lupul. Currently, Kessel makes 5.4 per season, Lupul 4.25. Next season, Kessel still makes more(though just marginally) as Lupuls deal increases to 5.25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->