Phil Kessel Discussion Thread. (no goals as of Feb 4, 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
Kessel makes more than Lupul. Currently, Kessel makes 5.4 per season, Lupul 4.25. Next season, Kessel still makes more(though just marginally) as Lupuls deal increases to 5.25

Lupul at 5.25 is a pretty decent deal for the Leafs, I can't see why everyone is so skeptical of this signing. IMO he offers more to this team than Kessel does, and compared to grabo at 5.5, its a hell of a good deal.

Durrrrrr

Jun 23, 2011
The team has finished 2nd, 9th, 5th and appear to be well on their way to another bottom 10 finish with PHIL KESSEL as the only commodity. In 4 years we have yet to find him anyone of significance to play with - because we simply cannot attract QUALITY UFA's - and we cannot AFFORD to trade anymore assets in a desperate attempt to help facilitate ONE PLAYER.

On top of that we have arguably the worst Goaltending tandem in game.
We have arguably one of the worst Defence Cores
We have no leadership - anywhere
Our Top6 is so small and easy to play against its a miracle we can score any goals at all.
Thanks in large part to the acquisition of PHIL KESSEL himself

And to top it all off PHIL KESSEL hasn't scored in 15 games.

The only thing "Magical" about any of this is that he's still a member of the team.
That Tavares guy must suck too, same with that giant loser Nash

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
That Tavares guy must suck too, same with that giant loser Nash

You can't win games with Tavares as your best player.

He's a good secondary scoring option.

He wouldn't offer much in the playoffs, if he could even lead them there in the first place.

Derp.

Durrrrrr

Jun 23, 2011

He wouldn't offer much in the playoffs, if he could even lead them there in the first place.

Derp.

Trade his ass!

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Look at Phil huffing and puffing in the penalty box! Curse that chubby character! :sarcasm:

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010

Derp.

Tavares has played three seasons--his first three season--for, arguably, the worst run franchise in the NHL, a franchise with fewer resources than the Leafs.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Kessel at the end of a shift, finds a way to break up a play defensively, skate all the way back to the other blue line and find a man wide open. Definitely out of shape.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
Oh! I know this one
Exceptions not the rule... right?

Do you like making fun of logic?

So Kessel is Nash and Tavares, and a bag of pucks can regularly be traded for value, this is what I've learned from you.

I even agreed with your point earlier about not judging players by what they were traded for, you make some good points.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Phaneuf
Lupul
Grabo

Three guys higher paid than Kessel ;)

I agree however that Phaneuf needs to step up. 10 games played and one assist to show for it? Really is starting to hamper the team. His defensive play on a good night is sound but we need his offensive skills just as much.

Actually Lups is not and that won't change when his new contract kicks in either.

Err, pretty sure i listed Dion as players to be looked at.

Durrrrrr

Jun 23, 2011
Do you like making fun of logic?

So Kessel is Nash and Tavares, and a bag of pucks can regularly be traded for value, this is what I've learned from you.

I even agreed with your point earlier about not judging players by what they were traded for, you make some good points.

Kessel is no more Tavares and Nash as Toronto will never win with Kessel in the lineup.
Value is everywhere and can even be found for free.
It does not have to happen regularly for it to be possible and it's this possibility that compels me to logically not ignore it's existence because it runs counter to my latest opinion.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
Kessel is no more Tavares and Nash as Toronto will never win with Kessel in the lineup.
Value is everywhere and can even be found for free.
It does not have to happen regularly for it to be possible and it's this possibility that compels me to logically not ignore it's existence because it runs counter to my latest opinion.

Perfect, so we'll have stupidity and sarcasm on this board and nothing else.

Man you're clearly intelligent, maybe you could step up the enlightenment to more than every second post?

Durrrrrr

Jun 23, 2011
Perfect, so we'll have stupidity and sarcasm on this board and nothing else.

Man you're clearly intelligent, maybe you could step up the enlightenment to more than every second post?

I gauge the quality of the post and provide an appropriate response.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
Needless Bruins fan coiming to the Leaf board, and into a Kessel thread, to stir the pot.

Yep, can't like both teams. I've been on this board for years and live five minutes from the ACC. Tonight's the first home game I've missed actually, any chance you please judge me by the content of my posts?

How exactly am I stirring the pot anyway? By saying that I don't think Kessel is comparable to Nash and Tavares?

I even defended Kessel several times in this thread.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Yep, can't like both teams. I've been on this board for years and live five minutes from the ACC, can you please judge me by the content of my posts?

How exactly am I stirring the pot? By saying that I don't think Kessel is comparable to Nash and Tavares?

I even defended Kessel several times in this thread.

How is he not comparae to Nash? You know what's funny? Last season I mentioned that Kessel was following a very similar career path to Nash. I even mentioned that IMHO, it would be Kessel's coming out party. I was almost laughed off HFBOARDS. Guess what happened?

They are very similar players. I think Phil is a 30-40 goal 70-90 pt player year in and year out.

Spanks

Oct 23, 2011
Does anybody know what the record is for most consecutive shots without a goal? Kessel may be pushing it...
Feel bad for the guy - this big a slump can't be good for his confidence, especially with the negativity of leaf's fans.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
How is he not comparae to Nash? You know what's funny? Last season I mentioned that Kessel was following a very similar career path to Nash. I even mentioned that IMHO, it would be Kessel's coming out party. I was almost laughed off HFBOARDS. Guess what happened?

They are very similar players. I think Phil is a 30-40 goal 70-90 pt player year in and year out.

Yeah, I agree, there can be some comparisons to Nash. I think I've just seen him look dominant with NYR, his size is so much more desirable, and his reputation in CBJ precedes him (how much of that was earned, not sure, never watched the Jackets to be honest).

But I agree, Kessel probably isn't that far off from a production standpoint.

Tavares, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad