Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Sean Couturier signs extension with the Flyers (8 years, $7.75M AAV)

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
easily top 20 what are people in this thread smoking????
its like they click sort by points and that's that

2016-2021
centers with >100 games played
starts 45% in the offensive zone compared with some other favorites in that same time frame: Crosby 61% Malkin 65% Mack 60% Pettersson 70.9% (!!!) and still puts up 0.83 PPG
10th in Avg TOI

there's only one other guy on that list that primarily starts in the defensive zone and that's barkov. go ahead look at it. the dude produces as well as tavares while also taking heavy defensive responsibility and drawing penalties

upload_2021-8-26_17-20-26.png

upload_2021-8-26_17-29-36.png

Last edited:

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
You don't know what gaslighting is and you don't know what an exception to the rule is. Nothing of what you described is gaslighting or remotely close but go ahead and keep repeating it and hope you can convince someone else.

The reality is that anyone who has followed hockey (or any other sport) for any period of time already knows that players fall off with age. If that's controversial to you, then you've been gaslit.

Oh it's hilarious how little you understand, I detailed why what you said was gaslighting, but your argument of "you don't know what it is" while providing zero evidence other then "because I said so" is perfect.

Of course players fall off, I never said they didn't. I was calling you out on assuming that SC would fall off. You provided an example of a player that did (Kesler), and you were provided with a player that didn't (Bergeron), you then gaslighted the other poster, by saying if that's what your hoping for good luck. As if Bergeron is at some unforeseen level that SC could never match.

Gaslighting is undermining another person's reality while denying facts, is that not what you did?

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Absolutely insane deal. Like legitimately nuts.
Remember that Couturier broke out after year one of his 6-year-deal.
He has been a 1C paid like a 3C for five years. And now, on his chance to cash in, he does this.

Philly should rip the C off Giroux's chest and give it to Couturier immediately.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Oh it's hilarious how little you understand, I detailed why what you said was gaslighting, but your argument of "you don't know what it is" while providing zero evidence other then "because I said so" is perfect.

Of course players fall off, I never said they didn't. I was calling you out on assuming that SC would fall off. You provided an example of a player that did (Kesler), and you were provided with a player that didn't (Bergeron), you then gaslighted the other poster, by saying if that's what your hoping for good luck. As if Bergeron is at some unforeseen level that SC could never match.

Gaslighting is undermining another person's reality while denying facts, is that not what you did?

That's not what gaslighting is.

I was arguing that most players fall off well before 38: That's a fact.
If anyone is denying facts, it's you and him who are pointing out one exception to the rule and pretending that it invalidates the rule. An outcome like Bergeron is at best a one-in-10 shot.

Gaslighting is manipulating someone psychologically, often by repeating something nonsensical, into questioning reality. It's also the most de rigueur thing that wanna be know-it-alls write on the internet when what they mean is 'lying'.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Wait people are saying it's a steal at 7.7 for 8 years for 28 years old Couturier? When was this guy ever a Top center? He's had what two good seasons? And he's always injured. Someone saying he would have had gotten 10 on the open market is laughable. He's never been elite.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Great deal for the first half of the contract, but it’s going to hurt in the latter years barring a LTIR ”injury” scenario.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
That's not what gaslighting is.

I was arguing that most players fall off well before 38: That's a fact.
If anyone is denying facts, it's you and him who are pointing out one exception to the rule and pretending that it invalidates the rule. An outcome like Bergeron is at best a one-in-10 shot.

Gaslighting is manipulating someone psychologically, often by repeating something nonsensical, into questioning reality. It's also the most de rigueur thing that wanna be know-it-alls write on the internet when what they mean is 'lying'.

You argued that his play style is indicative of that, and then used Kesler as a comparison, he argued that his play style is more like Bergeron, who has lasted quite well, you were wrong and are still wrong.

Of course most players fall off, most players aren't comparable to SC either as most don't have his intelligence, two way play, and ability to put up points. So your generalization , while being true is not really relevant to SC is it?

Gaslighting was the wrong word to use, I apologize for that.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Tell me you're loyal without telling me you're loyal.

There's gotta be a very brutal clause within that contract. I'm talking Carey Price brutal.

Reactions: SnS

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Wait people are saying it's a steal at 7.7 for 8 years for 28 years old Couturier? When was this guy ever a Top center? He's had what two good seasons? And he's always injured. Someone saying he would have had gotten 10 on the open market is laughable. He's never been elite.

4 good seasons in a row while being elite on both ends of the ice and has played almost every game the last 4 years, better get your facts straight bud.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
You argued that his play style is indicative of that, and then used Kesler as a comparison, he argued that his play style is more like Bergeron, who has lasted quite well, you were wrong and are still wrong.

Of course most players fall off, most players aren't comparable to SC either as most don't have his intelligence, two way play, and ability to put up points. So your generalization , while being true is not really relevant to SC is it?

Gaslighting was the wrong word to use, I apologize for that.

I literally didn't mention a single thing about his style of play. Not one word.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I literally didn't mention a single thing about his style of play. Not one word.

Ok well I'm all kinds of wrong then, still the generalization that he will decline while comparing him to Kesler and acting like the comparison to Bergeron is some impossibility is ridiculous, especially given context.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
4 good seasons in a row while being elite on both ends of the ice and has played almost every game the last 4 years, better get your facts straight bud.

2 good seasons. I would not call having 30 points to be a good season. I think people overrate the "two way" thing. When you don't produce offensively except for two seasons, you're not "two-ways". You're a defensive center with some skills.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
2 good seasons. I would not call having 30 points to be a good season. I think people overrate the "two way" thing. When you don't produce offensively except for two seasons, you're not "two-ways". You're a defensive center with some skills.

Umm over the last 4 seasons he is .91ppg, the 34 point season happened 5 years ago. He has produced for the last 4 seasons, again get your facts straight.

Reactions: Sasso09

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
G+ Couturier Today = 12.5M
Coutuirier NExt year at 7.75 means Giroux would need to take roughly 5M AAV to keep those two at the same Cap.
The term would need to be extended, probably like 4x5? but its doable.

This also ignores that the flyers do one of two things next year:
The dumb thing - trade Sanheim before hes a UFA, with York or Zamula stepping in
The smart thing - Let Risto walk and use his cap on G's contract.

That Said, Giroux would have to want to re-sign here. Who knows where his head is at. He can choose legacy or accomplishment (cup chasing), but not both. Not here, anyway.
I don’t get the Ristolainen trade if they are going to let him go - they left both goalies, Lambos & Ceulemans, Lysell, Bolduc, Lucius, Svechkov and Othmann who would be a good Flyers.

Reactions: Larry44

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
Top 15 C. 32 teams which makes him a #1C. The cap should be a lot higher in 5 or so years with the TV deals that more than tripled the deal that just expired. This would be more like $5-6 in today's terms in a few years when it goes up.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I don’t get the Ristolainen trade if they are going to let him go - they left both goalies, Lambos & Ceulemans, Lysell, Bolduc, Lucius, Svechkov and Othmann who would be a good Flyers.

To be clear, i fuilly expect them to re-sign him. It would 100% be the Flyers thing to do.

But its going to be a wild overpay, and Risto isnt even worth his current Cap Hit, so a re-sign is a poor choice logically.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Really good deal, was expecting to see a crazy number and he still likely would have deserved it. Congrats Philly.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
It's a nice deal for now.

They are really going to regret it in the second half though. He is not a player that will age well given his playing style and tendencies.
This is patently incorrect. He is a cerebral player who doesn’t rely on skating and bone crushing hits. His positioning is top notch.

Reactions: Sasso09

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad