Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Sean Couturier signs extension with the Flyers (8 years, $7.75M AAV)

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Term is horrible but the AAV is good for what should be a top 20 C for (at the minimum) the first half of the contract, I just hope he can stay healthy. Guy plays a ton of hard minutes.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Don't need a list, you provided an example, he provided an example, you gaslighted him (yes that's what it means) rather then providing any sort of counter argument.

Kesler hasn't aged well, ok well what about Bergeron, well if your expecting Bergeron, good luck with that, that sir is gaslighting.

You don't know what gaslighting is and you don't know what an exception to the rule is. Nothing of what you described is gaslighting or remotely close but go ahead and keep repeating it and hope you can convince someone else.

The reality is that anyone who has followed hockey (or any other sport) for any period of time already knows that players fall off with age. If that's controversial to you, then you've been gaslit.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Solid contract for both sides. It might age badly for Philly but they get him at a good rate for his early 30's when he should still be very productive.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Great deal for atleast 5-6 seasons, might be a million or so overpayment for last 2, which obviously depends on the NHL's max cap at the time.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
Great AAV for the short term but Couturier will be 37 once this deal ends.

This is my thoughts exactly. The AAV is pretty good, but he’ll be almost 30 when the deal starts and so much can happen to a “grind-it-out” type of player in 8 years. I would be worried the last 3ish years he’ll be a 7.5 mil 3rd line center.

But honestly, if Philly fans like it(it seems so) then what does it matter what us dorks think? Kudos!

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
This is my thoughts exactly. The AAV is pretty good, but he’ll be almost 30 when the deal starts and so much can happen to a “grind-it-out” type of player in 8 years.

I've seen quite a few whispers of this and references to power forwards in this thread and I don't get why. Couturier isn't really a "grind-it-out type of player" in any real sense. He's an excellent forechecker, sure, but he's not the type of dude who really throws his body around or lives for the corner muck. He's just smart as hell: Great positioning, awesome anticipation, pretty solid skillset. He's not out there GRINDING FOR DA PUCK nonstop, though he does win battles when he needs to.

He's had a handful of injuries, but mostly little freak stuff...Took a clapper to the head way early in his career, Ovechkin separated his shoulder once with a huge hit, Gudas once took out his leg in practice, he had a bizarre rib injury from a passing McCann hit earlier this year.

So, yes, he's gotten hurt before, but none of that has been a result of any particular play style. Whenever you read an HF thread, though, you get to see the difference between observing and assuming, I guess.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I would never sign any 29 year old center for
8 years, $7.75M AAV

unless they are Crosby, Malkin, McDavid....

This wont age well

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I've seen quite a few whispers of this and references to power forwards in this thread and I don't get why. Couturier isn't really a "grind-it-out type of player" in any real sense. He's an excellent forechecker, sure, but he's not the type of dude who really throws his body around or lives for the corner muck. He's just smart as hell: Great positioning, awesome anticipation, pretty solid skillset. He's not out there GRINDING FOR DA PUCK nonstop, though he does win battles when he needs to.

He's had a handful of injuries, but mostly little freak stuff...Took a clapper to the head way early in his career, Ovechkin separated his shoulder once with a huge hit, Gudas once took out his leg in practice, he had a bizarre rib injury from a passing McCann hit earlier this year.

So, yes, he's gotten hurt before, but none of that has been a result of any particular play style. Whenever you read an HF thread, though, you get to see the difference between observing and assuming, I guess.
Yeah, I don't agree with the take that he's likely to fall off shortly into this contract.

I am, however, quite certain that the Flyers are getting off cheap through his prime but will be paying for it heavily toward the last few years of his contract. The last couple of years of that contract, he'll be the same age as the players of the absurdly good 2003 draft class are now. And to a man, all the non-goalies of that draft class have all either retired or fallen off a cliff play wise at this point. The same is likely to happen to Couturier in his mid 30s.

Still, the next 4 or so years of this contract should be really good.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Couts has the same PPG and point production in similar games played as Bergeron over the past two seasons. I also fail to see where Couts is playing with a Marchand and Pasta type wing.

To be fair, he does play a lot of minutes with Giroux, who is an insanely good hockey player even when he isn't scoring at a crazy high pace, and Voracek was up there among his linemates--another extremely good player.

But last season he spent most of his time with Farabee and JVR, so yeah, this is a strong point. Those three led the team in goals, with Farabee at the top--and it wasn't JVR's sick playmaking abilities that made that happen.

Yeah, I don't agree with the take that he's likely to fall off shortly into this contract.

I am, however, quite certain that the Flyers are getting off cheap through his prime but will be paying for it heavily toward the last few years of his contract. The last couple of years of that contract, he'll be the same age as the players of the absurdly good 2003 draft class are now. And to a man, all the non-goalies of that draft class have all either retired or fallen off a cliff play wise at this point. The same is likely to happen to Couturier in his mid 30s.

Still, the next 4 or so years of this contract should be really good.

Agreed. Certainly, like all long-term deals it might look rough at some point towards the end. Or maybe it won't, depending on where the cap goes and how gracefully Couturier ages. I was specifically speaking to people who think Couturier is some body-banger who will destroy his body by age 33...that's not how he plays at all.

Reactions: JBeast and Romang67

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
To be fair, he does play a lot of minutes with Giroux, who is an insanely good hockey player even when he isn't scoring at a crazy high pace, and Voracek was up there among his linemates--another extremely good player.

But last season he spent most of his time with Farabee and JVR, so yeah, this is a strong point. Those three led the team in goals, with Farabee at the top--and it wasn't JVR's sick playmaking abilities that made that happen.

Sure. He played with Giroux. But where is his Pasta then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad