Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Sean Couturier signs extension with the Flyers (8 years, $7.75M AAV)

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Both him and Svech should be making more than Darnell Nurse, then again, their agents probably aren't dealing with an imbecile like Ken Holland...

the analytics guys gave Holland an A to B+ grade for his work this summer. Strange that you would say that is the work of an imbecile, especially in thread that has nothing to do with the Oilers.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
In an era when players like Johansen and Duchene get 8M, giving Couturier less than 8M - this is not a steal, this is armed robbery

Couturier will receive $42M of the $62M in signing bonus money. That contract is buyout proof. The NHL economics have changed with the pandemic. It's a good deal for him. It's a better contract than Landeskog received from the Avs.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Couts could have pushed for much more citing how underpaid he has been on this contract....only making 4.66 million still.

Open market and he gets 9+ million.

Glad to have him for another decade.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Couts could be a top 15 center.

NHL Stats

He's one of the smartest forwards in the NHL. Positionally sound on both sides of the puck, confident in all 3 zones, IQ off the charts, great broad ice vision. Over the last 4 years 0.91 points per game, a couple 30 goal seasons, Selke, and is in the top 10 in even strenght scoring, below.

NHL Stats

He makes every winger he plays with better. He faces down the top players in the game and dominates them, stealing their time and taking pressure out of the defensive zone and providing offense. He just sees the ice that well.
Despite playing almost all of last year with a nagging hip injury, he still had a productive season

He is not only the Flyers best player, he is the heart and soul of the team.

He said he wanted to stay in Philly, that deal is more on him taking a discount than Fletcher negotiating.

Reactions: Bruckuss

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Yeah. Just look how bad Bergeron has played, who is now 36,

Oh wait.
Now look at the rest of Bergeron's draft class.

For the record, I think this is a really good contract for the Flyers. I do, however, think it's exceedingly likely that Couts will be overpaid for the last 3 years of the contract. Much more so for the last two. But he's underpaid for the first few, so, for the sake of contending shortly, it's a good contract, IMO.

Reactions: JBeast

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Now look at the rest of Bergeron's draft class.

For the record, I think this is a really good contract for the Flyers. I do, however, think it's exceedingly likely that Couts will be overpaid for the last 3 years of the contract. Much more so for the last two. But he's underpaid for the first few, so, for the sake of contending shortly, it's a good contract, IMO.
For Couturier, the one thing he has always done well, is produce at ES. I expect his overall pts to drop as other, younger players get PP time, his ES pts to still be there.

The last 4 years, Couturier is 13th in ES pts in the league. That's where is value is...producing at ES and facing top lines when doing so. As a comparison, Couts has 197 ES pts the last 3 years.....Bergeron 150, Kopitar 169, ROR, 168, Barkon 199. Couts and Barkov are a notch ahead at ES.

In the end, the Flyers could not afford to let their #1 C and best player walk. They have him signed to a great deal.

Even if we go by your years, and expect him to decline for his last 3 years....the cap "should" be in the rise again at that point and the contract will be climbing again. And you will get players like Hayes again getting 7+ million. So Couts deal should still age well.

And let's be honest....he has been underpaid on this who,e contract making 4.66 million. He could have gotten 9 million and deserved it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bruckuss

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Couturier will receive $42M of the $62M in signing bonus money. That contract is buyout proof. The NHL economics have changed with the pandemic. It's a good deal for him. It's a better contract than Landeskog received from the Avs.
Is it? The signing bonus is spread out pretty evenly. Just looking at the contract they would only save about a million off the cap hit buying him out. So if they buy out the last 3 years, it would be around 6.5-.6.8 for 3 years and then some years of like 300-500k. If they buy out the last 2 years, it's the same thing with 1 year less of the higher cap hit.

I should just look at capfriendly to be sure.

EDIT: Nevermind. I misread what you said and took it as it's an easy buyout for Philly. So, ignore and cheers!

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
It's a solid deal but I think we have the term steal a bit too easy on here.

All good contracts are steal it seems.

Mackinnon at 6.3M/year. That's a steal.

Tavares deal with NYI, Josi deal with Nashville at 4.5M/year

Reactions: wpgallday1960

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

Mack signed his deal before he broke out, and for a 20 goal, 50 point guy, it was still high and purely based on 'potential', but, now its the best deal in the league.
in the 2016/17 season Mack and Drouin both had 53 points, and at 5.5 Drouin is overpaid (and that draft year many people had Drouin over Mack) ...thats just how it works out sometimes.
Drais went from way overpaid, to way underpaid also within 2 seasons.

This deal is solid, and the fans love it, so, why would fans from any other team dis it

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
He's an elite scorer and Couts isn't. Elite scorers get paid.

True that he is a very exciting,dynamic forward that is fun to watch and an elite goalscorer. Both in the league for the same number of years, Couturier has a few more points but has had a much harder job in that his first responsiblity is to stand down the best forwards in the league. He excels at that and usually dominates those shifts.

He might not be the flashy, goal scorer, but he is a far more valuable player, a much smarter one who handles far more responsbility.

Couturier could have possibly gotten 8.5 to 9.5 on the open market. He said yesterday he wanted to stay in Philly and wanted the team to be in a position to put the best players around him. He took a discount to stay.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

I remember when Mackinnon signed that deal, him saying he took less because he wanted to win a Cup and felt that gave the Avs the ability to keep/sign good players.
IT's one of the many leadership qualities he has, he is one amazing player

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
A lot of money for Hayes/Couts top 2C
Hayes is a bad contract. There's no reason to lump that in with this one.

This is a great deal aside from the last few years, but anyone would've given him that. The extra years on the end clearly keep the cost down for the first few years.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
For sure right? Has there ever been a good C in this league, who put up near PPG, and was good defensively, past 35?
Well, to start, PPG players who are good defensively are pretty rare at 25 let alone 35. But to answer the question, yes there have been plenty. Guys like Thornton, Datsyuk, Sakic, Brindamour, Pavelski, Elias, and Modano come to mind and I'm sure there's a lot more. THe cap is going to start going up again soon so Couts making $7.75m in 8 years from now will probably eat up the same amount of cap space as $6m today. Nobody thinks he's going to be worth all $7.75m when he's 35-36 but he's worth way more now and for the next few years. If he can put up 50 points as a 2C and play a good defensive game for the last 2-3 years of that deal, I'm sure the Flyers can live with that.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Going to blow your mind for a second.

Zib isn't much more effective offensively than Couturier 5v5

okay. He's a more dynamic player. You can think his 2019-2020 season was just a hot streak or his multiple 6 pointers vsPhilly or his 5 goal game were all flukes. Couts isn't capable of producing like that. He's superior in other areas. I'm just saying goal scorers get paid more.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: