Confirmed with Link: [PHI/MTL] Montreal acquires Dale Weise and Christian Folin for David Schlemko and Byron Froese

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Reilly's an up and down player, but better than, Emelin, and a host of characters we've had on the left side.

not sure I agree there, Emelin was a solid 5th imo, I would take what he brought vs what Reilly brings although to be fair I haven't watched that many Hab games in the past month and a half. I liked Emelin as long as he wasn't at RD or used too much.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
not sure I agree there, Emelin was a solid 5th imo, I would take what he brought vs what Reilly brings although to be fair I haven't watched that many Hab games in the past month and a half. I liked Emelin as long as he wasn't at RD or used too much.

When the game was more physical Emelin was probably better in that era than Reilly is now in this era.

But in this era, right now, I take Reilly over Emelin.

Emelin's stick handling and positioning were often atrocious.

Reactions: Vachon23

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
When the game was more physical Emelin was probably better in that era than Reilly is now in this era.

But in this era, right now, I take Reilly over Emelin.

Emelin's stick handling and positioning were often atrocious.

I don't think Emelin was that bad, certainly not atrocious but Reilly is too bland for me. It would be different if he were putting up points, in 19 games last year he had 8 pts, in 49 games this year he has 9. I liked his game when he was taking more chances, producing some offense. Granted the Habs clearly didn't care for that but if he's not producing much, not sure he will stick in the NHL as he's not physical or very solid in his own end although I should watch more games to really say.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
I have to admit I'm happy MBs annual acquisition of garbage didn't include picks. Hopefully it stays that way.

(dusting off a classic - or dare I say legendary - 'shoop)

C5tKBc_WUAAv-D_.jpg

:popcorn:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think Emelin was that bad, certainly not atrocious but Reilly is too bland for me. It would be different if he were putting up points, in 19 games last year he had 8 pts, in 49 games this year he has 9. I liked his game when he was taking more chances, producing some offense. Granted the Habs clearly didn't care for that but if he's not producing much, not sure he will stick in the NHL as he's not physical or very solid in his own end although I should watch more games to really say.

I don't think the physical aspect is that big of an issue for him. It's his decision making - overskating the puck, skating by plays/coverages etc... But his speed and mobility are very much suited for where the game is going.

Reactions: montreal

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I wouldn't mind if they moved some of the later picks since we had so many picks last draft and now have 4 4th round picks in '19 and '20 (ours/flames, ours/jets in '20) and 2 5th (hawks/oilers) that hawks pick is like a late 4th.

Not that I mind having those extra mid picks but wouldn't be much an issue if he traded one or two or replaced them with the next year. Just don't want too many rookies incoming at the same time, although of course they can space it out between CHLers and NCAA/Euros.

Agree. We can definitely afford to trade some mid-round and bottom picks this year. Keep 1-3, and 7 in case there's someone there you like who for some reason fell hard (like Primeau). We have 10 picks this year and an extra 4th next year. I'd be fine with 6-7 picks this year, and we can move that extra pick next year too.

Reactions: montreal

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
anyone remember the days they (A&W) was a drive in?
girls would come out on roller skates right to your car ..take your order.....and you roll down your car window and they hang a tray full of food off it ??

Yeah, I kinda remember that. I grew up in Pierrefonds near Riverdale High School, and there was an A&W on Blvd des Sources near Pierrefonds Blvd. I don't remember the A&W roller girls, but I remember you could drive in, face a menu sign (I think? maybe the girls on roller skates brought menus? fuzzy...), park next to a parking meter-like thing with a speaker and microphone, and order your meal. Root beer was big then, and we would always order it with our meals. And someone would bring the food out to the car, I guess it was girls on roller skates?!?

Just looked at Google maps satellite view and I think the A&W was on the spot now occupied by Chateau Kebab next to the Budget location on Sources and Anselme Lavigne. I don't think Anselme Lavigne reached Sources in those days, was probably extended later. I think the A&W used to occupy the whole Budget/Kebab lot in the 70s, but they downsized and sold off half the land to Budget when the drive-in concept lost favour with the public. (There was also a drive-in theatre in Dollard not far from this location).

I'm feeling really nostalgic now as I look at the Google map of this location. Right behind the A&W is the Roxboro library, which is still there. My parents took me to this library every couple of weeks and we (my sister and I) returned our books and took out another bunch. We would spend 60-90 minutes in there choosing our books, encouraged by our parents. My parents read a lot and this rubbed off on my sister and I. I read (books) voraciously right up until I got my first broadband internet connection nearly 20 years ago Now I don't read at all, shame. And my own kids aren't learning the love of reading the way I did, shame on me.

Behind the library is the Roxboro Church. I attended nursery school there, I guess it was around 1970. It was a non-denominational nursery school, (I think), not affiliated with the church. I only have a few memories of that place. The clearest memory is one day when my mother came running into the church at the end of the day and shouting that there was a dead man on the street! I recall that everyone left the church (teachers, parents, and children), following my mother to find the body. Indeed there was a man lying down on the ground, sprawled partially on the road and grass. I assumed he was dead since my mother had said he was. But the teacher (an older woman who I then thought was ancient but might have been younger than I am now) felt the man's pulse and told us all there was nothing to worry about. She told us he just wasn't feeling well and she would call for help. She left one assistant teacher there and we all returned to the church. Years later I figured out that this was probably just a drunk guy passed out on the road.

Isn't this also the corner that the Marche Esposito used to occupy? You know, the one owned by Angelo Esposito's family? Looks like it's now a Marche Adonis. Funny, there is an Adonis store about 1 km away from where I live now in Mississauga. My old friend Campbell used to work at Esposito's. Now he works for the Globe and Mail as a political writer. Brilliant guy, haven't seen him in more than 20 years.

Also in this vicinity is the Glenmore Curling Club. Although I heard much about this place for years or even decades, I never went there until last May. To attend the memorial service of another old friend, John. He was the bartender there for 10 years or so I guess. Died at age 51 of lung cancer. We old time friends never knew he was sick and never said goodbye. I guess he wanted it this way, I respect that but it pains me nonetheless.

If you got this far I say thanks for reading! It's been fun to take a brief stroll down memory lane. PM me if you are from my era and area.

Thanks!

Reactions: Edgy

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Crazy how he went from a career year and 46 point pace to barely NHL calibre on other teams. A classic case of a player only being good with one franchise.

when your heart is in one spot , and you never wanted to leave...you see his twitter yesterday? it absolute blew up with fans well wishing him..just not 1 or 2 or 50 or 100 either..(his "Finally back home" tweet has been liked over 7600 times)lol....He had the fame in Mtl..in Philly(wasnt the same vibe as Mtl) he was just another avg Joe....major let down...and he even admitted he lost his fire in Philly. Dale born a Habs fan...he'll retire here this time i believe...he'll go out a Hab

Last edited:

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
when your heart is in one spot , and you never wanted to leave...you see his twitter yesterday? it absolute blew up with fans well wishing him..just not 1 or 2 or 50 or 100 either..(his "Finally back home" tweet has been liked over 7600 times)lol....He had the fame in Mtl..in Philly(wasnt the same vibe as Mtl) he was just another avg Joe....major let down...and he even admitted he lost his fire in Philly. Dale born a Habs fan...he'll retire here this time i believe...he'll go out a Hab
Retire #22!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad