Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Ivan Provorov re-signs with the Flyers (6 years, $6.75M AAV)

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
really nice deal though. Carries until he is 28 so covers most of his prime and while the cap will increase, guys like werenski will command 8 million (that would be a few seasons of 8 million compared to provorov's 6.25).

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
i guess we'll see really. I don't think his goal scoring that year will be replicated but we don't need him to do that. He can definitely get 8-10 though and 40 points is manageable. I think his defensive game will be really seen this year as we will have more depth all around, a reliable goalie duo (something we never had but hopefully will), and less pressure.

Even 30-35 points with excellent defense and transition play is enough to justify the contract.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Yeah, we are unfortunate to get stuck with him after the Devils snacthed future HOF Pavel Zacha from us with their pick.
Don't deflect, buddy.

Provorov is a fine player, but just because he plays top pair minutes, doesn't make him top pair caliber. His 5v5 numbers have been middling for most of his career. Even with good partners like Sanheim and Ghost, he was atrocious last year. He was pretty good the year before, but he did not play at the level of a top pair d during his ELC.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Don't deflect, buddy.

Provorov is a fine player, but just because he plays top pair minutes, doesn't make him top pair caliber. His 5v5 numbers have been middling for most of his career. Even with good partners like Sanheim and Ghost, he was atrocious last year. He was pretty good the year before, but he did not play at the level of a top pair d during his ELC.

the bolded is a good way of knowing you didnt watch a single flyers game last year. Thanks for confirming.

joplin

Dec 20, 2010
EU
that's a big drop from 10 million AAV the reports suggested he was looking for. It might turn out to be bargain for the Flyers

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
Not worth it brother. Don't feed it.
The Ivan Provorov extension: Making sense of the six-year...

What part of my statement was incorrect, Ant?

"This time, the “bad partners” excuse didn’t hold up. Provorov started the season with Gostisbehere and spent almost the entire second half alongside Travis Sanheim, who has posted stellar advanced metrics early in his career. Yet Provorov’s stats returned to mediocrity, and even more concerning was that, for the first time in his career, he wasn’t passing the eye test, either. In contrast to past seasons, Provorov’s underwhelming results seemed to be primarily his fault, rather than the fault of limited partners."

Reactions: ccman68

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Even in a down year for Provorov he was at least respectable. There were rumours that he shortened his stick last year which would explain his bad start. He was playing solid hockey in the middle of the season.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
He wasn't all that great last year which probably lowered his value. Still a good contract for Philly.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Don't deflect, buddy.

He's not deflecting when you're the one who starting comparing Provorov to other players from the 2015 Draft.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Don't deflect, buddy.

the whole team was bad last year, obviously the numbers are going to be bad, especially for a player who played against top lines every night...

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Don't deflect, buddy.

I said my piece on the McCurdy stuff on the last page, but the PP stuff is particularly egregious to me.

As mentioned, the Flyers' 2nd PP unit, which Provorov is on, has been horrible for years. For two of the full seasons included in that sample, it included guys like either Jordan Weal, Val Filppula, or both. It was just a horribly inadequate group.

That entire 3-season sample is 276 minutes. Provorov has played all 246 games in that time.

That comes out to an average of 1:07 in PP time per game. In reality, he plays about 1:35 of PP time per game.

The average NHL team has 3 PP opportunities per game. Typically, the first unit on the Flyers plays the first minute and a half or more.

So, yes, Provorov has failed to produce much offense during the three random 22-to-31 second spurts of 5-on-4 time he gets out there (with the likes of Jordan Weal and Valteri Filpulla) each night.

He's not a great PP guy. But you need some f***ing context with these charts, and to not act like they're the final word on any given player. They aren't. They're pretty, somewhat-informative pictures.

Last edited:
Reactions: dingbathero

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
The Ivan Provorov extension: Making sense of the six-year...

What part of my statement was incorrect, Ant?

"This time, the “bad partners” excuse didn’t hold up. Provorov started the season with Gostisbehere and spent almost the entire second half alongside Travis Sanheim, who has posted stellar advanced metrics early in his career. Yet Provorov’s stats returned to mediocrity, and even more concerning was that, for the first time in his career, he wasn’t passing the eye test, either. In contrast to past seasons, Provorov’s underwhelming results seemed to be primarily his fault, rather than the fault of limited partners."
All true but that's the only reason we got him for $6.75. If he improved from 2018 season we would have had to pay him 9+ a year easy maybe even 10. So if he gets back to being a 15-20 goal scorer and being the teams shutdown dman (both likely to happen imo) then this is a massive steal of a contract. If he plays like he did last year (highly unlikely imo) he's probably worth the $6.75. I was hoping Flyers could have signed him for slightly less or maxed the 8 yr term only because your negotiating after such a bad year (its a fortunate scenario considering how well thought of Provorov is amongst the team and league) its really a golden opportunity in which the players leverage is weak. All in all fair deal thats likely a steal for 6 years (hopefully)

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
[MOD]... if I'm speaking the truth? I haven't had one person actually discuss the post

Last edited by a moderator:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
flyers are betting on those D men to become a force on the back end. Signing him is what they think is a key player going forward. Can the goalie play or does the sophomore jinx hit him? Have to pay someone and he qualifies for them. Since win over the Pens in 2012, flyers have largely been mediocre and just don't seem to have it this year as well. We will see, but Pens, Caps, Carolina and one of NJ, Rangers Islanders may be in the hunt and then the flyers.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
It's a good contract that could look great. I think there's a chance it could look bad but I'd much rather have 6.75x6 (Provorov) than 5x3 with 7m in the final year (Werenski)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad