Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Ivan Provorov re-signs with the Flyers (6 years, $6.75M AAV)

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
That's not totally true. Since entering the league(for Dmen):

Provy is 7th in ES goals
Provorov is 16th in ES points

People just don't think of him as offensive because he isn't flashy...and he is bad on the PP. He in fact should be removed from the #2PP and replaced by Sanheim and focus on ES scoring AND defense as well as the PK. This will lessen his icetime buy a bit and bump up Sanheim.

Provy essentially got thrown into the deep end as a rookie. He had AMac as his partner and was thrown against top lines. He never had a good defensive partner to lean on. Niskanen should be that guy this year.

Last year, he did not look himself at all. Things like riding out his man into the boards, it looked like he lacked strength to finish the check like he had in past years. I do wonder if last summers shoulder surgery played a bigger part in that. He might have felt healthy, but still lacked the strength.

He may not be the Flyers most talented Dman...or even best the next 6 years. But he will play an important role in the teams success. He will take on those hard assignments letting guys like Sanheim and Ghost easier matchups. It will be on them to exploit that matchup and take advantage. As an example, Sanheim had great fancy stats while paired with Gudas in an easier role, then of course saw those stats get worse when paired with Provy and facing the top players in the league.

But if Provy can go up against top lines and play them even all while being top 20 in ES goals and points, and allowing other Dmen to hopefully exploit easier matchups, I will take that.

Well I think what he was trying to say that on the spectrum of "Defensive Defenseman - Two-way Defenseman - Offensive Defenseman" Provorov probably doesn't fit into "Offensive Defenseman" and instead is likely closer to the other two. That's where I'd put him.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
That's not totally true. Since entering the league(for Dmen):

Provy is 7th in ES goals
Provorov is 16th in ES points

People just don't think of him as offensive because he isn't flashy...and he is bad on the PP. He in fact should be removed from the #2PP and replaced by Sanheim and focus on ES scoring AND defense as well as the PK. This will lessen his icetime buy a bit and bump up Sanheim.

Provy essentially got thrown into the deep end as a rookie. He had AMac as his partner and was thrown against top lines. He never had a good defensive partner to lean on. Niskanen should be that guy this year.

Last year, he did not look himself at all. Things like riding out his man into the boards, it looked like he lacked strength to finish the check like he had in past years. I do wonder if last summers shoulder surgery played a bigger part in that. He might have felt healthy, but still lacked the strength.

He may not be the Flyers most talented Dman...or even best the next 6 years. But he will play an important role in the teams success. He will take on those hard assignments letting guys like Sanheim and Ghost easier matchups. It will be on them to exploit that matchup and take advantage. As an example, Sanheim had great fancy stats while paired with Gudas in an easier role, then of course saw those stats get worse when paired with Provy and facing the top players in the league.

But if Provy can go up against top lines and play them even all while being top 20 in ES goals and points, and allowing other Dmen to hopefully exploit easier matchups, I will take that.
He's not an offensive defensemen, meaning he's not a guy that relies on offense. He's good at both ends and imo better in his own end. I wasn't saying he can't play offense.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Well I think what he was trying to say that on the spectrum of "Defensive Defenseman - Two-way Defenseman - Offensive Defenseman" Provorov probably doesn't fit into "Offensive Defenseman" and instead is likely closer to the other two. That's where I'd put him.
Yup

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
No doubt Ivan had a disappointing season. But looking at his usage and support it was inevitable. No, I think Slavin is definitely better than Morrissey and has an excellent contract, kid is a stud.
Slabvbin right now hands down better on D no question about it... Does not mean Provorov cannot get there in a hurry as soon.. Anyway, I am glad Ivan is signed, my only wish it was 8 year deal that would take Ivan to 30 yo.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Slabvbin right now hands down better on D no question about it... Does not mean Provorov cannot get there in a hurry as soon.. Anyway, I am glad Ivan is signed, my only wish it was 8 year deal that would take Ivan to 30 yo.
There's at most 10 D in the league better than Slavin in his own end, IMO maybe less than 5. So I definitely agree.

Reactions: tictactoe

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Provorov = Russian Suter.

And I'll take that, although he's clearly not as physical nor as mean/scary to play against as Suter. But Suter most definitely should have won a Norris during his career.

And again, if Provy ends up like him I'll tickled pink

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
And I'll take that, although he's clearly not as physical nor as mean/scary to play against as Suter. But Suter most definitely should have won a Norris during his career.

And again, if Provy ends up like him I'll tickled pink
Are we thinking of the same Suter? Provorov isn't overly physical but he does throw his body around pretty good and he has a few highlight real hits each season where he runs someone over. Suter has only had 80+ hits one time in his career and that was over a decade ago. Provorov has had 110+ hits every season.

Reactions: Curufinwe

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
That down year was costly for Provorov ,No way he had got under 8 million per season with another strong/good season

hockeyguru

Sep 10, 2019
provorov isn't worth 6.75 right now and he may not be for the future. people really overrate young defenders that play on the top pair

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->