Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Ivan Provorov re-signs with the Flyers (6 years, $6.75M AAV)

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
Very happy with this deal. Provorov is a top pairing guy at 22, and has played some of the toughest minutes in the league since his rookie season. He works his ass off in the weight room and is a good influence on his teammates. I’d say worse case he’s a great number 3 who sets a good example for his teammates. He’s never really had a solid veteran dman to look up to and learn from either. Niskanen should be a great addition for our young D core. At 6.75 they’re not asking him to be a elite #1 and there’s a good chance he out performs his contract.

Anyone judging him for last season is out there. A young defender had a down season on a team in disarray. Sanhiem was great last year but he’s still a rookie and growing into his body. Ghost is solid too. Beyond that goaltending and coaching were atrocious. Besides a few players the whole team was trash. Even taking out these factors it would be stupid write him off for a down season at this age. He had a lot of brain farts and mistakes he didn’t make his first 2 seasons. I feel like it snowballed because he’s hard on himself and would try making up for it. I expect a bounce back and the best is yet to come for Provy.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Those stats are from the last 3 years - not just last year

1 being his rookie year and the other being a down year from the whole team. Also this is on a team that played macdonald with provorov for almost 2 years, had no goalies for those three years pretty much, and was just terrible in the depth department. Well just have to see how he does with an improved team eh

Reactions: Sasso09 and Larry44

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
1 being his rookie year and the other being a down year from the whole team. Also this is on a team that played macdonald with provorov for almost 2 years, had no goalies for those three years pretty much, and was just terrible in the depth department. Well just have to see how he does with an improved team eh
We shall see. Who is he slated to start with? Sanheim?

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

It looks like sanhiem - Myers actually.

AV wants to have handedness playout in the pairs. It would seem this is bad for sanhiem as he may be 3rd pair but who knows this early.

I think Provy, Ghost, Sanheim all get better this year but there is an argument that one or two could struggle again/slump. If ghost comes out slow or Provy then maybe Sanheim moves up. That sanhiem Myers pair will be pretty great so ideally keep the icetimes similar. Ghost on PP1, Sanhiem on PP2(over Provy) and Provy getting lots of P.K. minutes. By seasons end we could have one of the better Ds in the league.

Reactions: NJ DevLolz

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
Don't deflect, buddy.

Provorov is a fine player, but just because he plays top pair minutes, doesn't make him top pair caliber. His 5v5 numbers have been middling for most of his career. Even with good partners like Sanheim and Ghost, he was atrocious last year. He was pretty good the year before, but he did not play at the level of a top pair d during his ELC.

YEAH, because they played him to death on the PK.....he had the 8th highest PK time in the whole NHL.....the Flyers have stunted his all around growth because of it. Hopefully signing Niskanen and Braun means LESS PK time for Provy and more PP and even strength TOI. He's only 22, I think he opens some eyes this year, we'll see. ;)

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
In which way?
So you are saying you’d rather build a team around PK Subban than Provorov?
I think PK is the much better player yes. I'd probably rather have Provorov because of age, but he isn't in PK's stratosphere ability wise. Subban was literally a Norris finalist 15 months ago

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017

niskanen. solid partner who will let provorov focus on his job instead of carrying people al the time...something he hasn't been able to do his whole career for a full year (he had sanheim for parts of the year last year). He was with ghost but he still had to carry the load in his own zone. With niskanen he can play his game more. While i like subban, I think there is a bigger drop off in talent after him for you guys. Smith is going to be great but he will take a year or two to play big minutes. After provorov we have an improving sanheim, ghost should/will bounce back, myers who is going to be a stud, and then braun/niskanen for pk duties .

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
I think PK is the much better player yes. I'd probably rather have Provorov because of age, but he isn't in PK's stratosphere ability wise. Subban was literally a Norris finalist 15 months ago

I'd venture to guess Provorov will surpass Subban. Based on usage I think Provorov outperforms PK. I think if Provorov had the TOI Subban has had on the PP you'd see he isn't that far from this stratosphere you speak of.

Norris trophy is a fun trophy to debate. I can see Provorov being a finalist for that too.

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
I'd venture to guess Provorov will surpass Subban. Based on usage I think Provorov outperforms PK. I think if Provorov had the TOI Subban has had on the PP you'd see he isn't that far from this stratosphere you speak of.

Norris trophy is a fun trophy to debate. I can see Provorov being a finalist for that too.
Except Subban has been known as one of the elite 5v5 play drivers for most of his career until last year. He had a pretty bad injury last year and played through it with much worse results. His 5v5 impact pre injury was in line with his career norm, which suggests that his decline in play was injury related.

Provorov is a fine player, but his on ice impact has been pretty pedestrian. The issue is that he looks good by the eye test but the on-ice impact hasn't matched throughout his career. I suspect part of the reason his reputation is what it is because he was a high pick and plays a lot of minutes.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
is he 2M better than slavin? by the way... lets be honest Ivan had a very below average season and that could be used for negotiations....
No doubt Ivan had a disappointing season. But looking at his usage and support it was inevitable. No, I think Slavin is definitely better than Morrissey and has an excellent contract, kid is a stud.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You truly have no idea what you're talking about. Provorov isn't a offensive defensemen
That's not totally true. Since entering the league(for Dmen):

Provy is 7th in ES goals
Provorov is 16th in ES points

People just don't think of him as offensive because he isn't flashy...and he is bad on the PP. He in fact should be removed from the #2PP and replaced by Sanheim and focus on ES scoring AND defense as well as the PK. This will lessen his icetime buy a bit and bump up Sanheim.

Provy essentially got thrown into the deep end as a rookie. He had AMac as his partner and was thrown against top lines. He never had a good defensive partner to lean on. Niskanen should be that guy this year.

Last year, he did not look himself at all. Things like riding out his man into the boards, it looked like he lacked strength to finish the check like he had in past years. I do wonder if last summers shoulder surgery played a bigger part in that. He might have felt healthy, but still lacked the strength.

He may not be the Flyers most talented Dman...or even best the next 6 years. But he will play an important role in the teams success. He will take on those hard assignments letting guys like Sanheim and Ghost easier matchups. It will be on them to exploit that matchup and take advantage. As an example, Sanheim had great fancy stats while paired with Gudas in an easier role, then of course saw those stats get worse when paired with Provy and facing the top players in the league.

But if Provy can go up against top lines and play them even all while being top 20 in ES goals and points, and allowing other Dmen to hopefully exploit easier matchups, I will take that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad