Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] F Owen Tippett signs extension with the Flyers (8 years, $6.2M AAV)

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
Nobody is generating more 5v5 shots / 60 than Tippett this season, his 5v5 goals / 60 are in the top 15 of the league, both metrics continuing progress from last season. The next steps will be converting at a higher rate (11% sh% which seems low considering his shot is quality) and becoming more effective on the PP, which is true of the entire team, but he should be a good complimentary piece. If either happens this deal will have some good years. OTOH, if he loses a step or ability to attack off the rush it will end up being a few years too long.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
hokey dyna that's a lot of money. It's gonna take me awhile to adjust to what scoring wingers cost these days with rising cap projections.

Tippett is also the sort of player who is always going to command a premium within that. He's big, fast, good even strength player, and a huge contingent of his points are Goals, which tend to be valued over piling up assists.

But wheeeeewww $6.2M AAV gives me a bit of sticker shock, even though i like the player and can rationalize where it's coming from.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Hagel is ~6 months older and signed for only 0.400 more per season. He's better defensively and has scored goals at a similar rate, while getting significantly more assists. That contract was considered 'fair' by most, so this seems a tad high, given that.

I don't think it's awful by an means, but it falls on the 'player' side of the fence IMO.

Reactions: Regal

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
First of all, what's with the flyers and red heads. It really works with the color scheme, sure, but respectfully Philly isn't exactly fashion central.

I like the deal, he's looking like he could be a reliable 25-30 goal scorer with size, Philly has been tough to play against.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Cates was a 5th round pick that couldn't score in college, what did you expect? It's a surprise he made it at all.

You're missing some context. The Flyers and especially Torts seemed to think Cates was a poor man's Sean Couturier and were predicting he'd take a big step this year in his offensive game. That's not generally how this works though, i.e. an already older defensive player suddenly blossoming offensively, as any random fan can tell you. Cates was talked up more and treated better than Morgan Frost, for example, who is in fact a far superior player but whom Torts doesn't really like because he's cerebral instead of a try-hard.

Nothing against Tippett, who is a solid player, but this kind of mid-tier contract (which could even be considered a steal) shows how goddamned insane NHL economics are when a fairly vanilla and anonymous middle-six player will make $80 million (Canadian) career earnings by the age of 32.

Tippett's anything but vanilla. He's ginger. I kid, but really. He's got outstanding physical tools and is at his best just playing and not thinking too hard. If he processed the game better, he'd be one hell of a player. As it stands, he can be a fun watch. He had this rush in OT against Montreal a couple of weeks ago where he picked up the puck in the Flyers end and then rushed down the ice for a scoring chance. There was a collective gasp in the crowd, because that was as fast as we've seen a human being moving, and indeed, that was the fastest skating burst in the entire league on the year thus far.

As for the contract, the money is about what I would have expected, but the term is nutty. I miss the 90's when longer contracts were generally like 5 years, but those days are long gone. It's also solidifies his place in the rebuild, which the Flyers are going about ass-backwards. Still, he figures to be an effective top 6 scoring winger when paired with a good center.

First of all, what's with the flyers and red heads. It really works with the color scheme, sure, but respectfully Philly isn't exactly fashion central.

It's gotta be a fetish at this point, right?

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
That's why Noah Cates has 5 points this season. Cause Torts is soooo great with young players. :laugh:

Ersson has been the much better goalie for the Flyers since Halloween.

Typically was a key words in my statement. There are always exceptions for every coach.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Yep. Tippett just landed a contract to grow into at 24. Doubt it’s ever an under market deal, like teams hope for with these 8 year deals, and it’s not your other typical 8 year deal, where you’re paying for market value.

Although it would still raise eyebrows, don’t think anyone would be too upset at him getting a 3-year $6.2 deal, as a prediction deal. It’s explainable. Especially with his late bloomer tag, but when you sign 8 year prediction deals, for a forward who hasn’t sniffed $6.2 million in production yet, it’s always more of a risk, than it has a chance to become a value contract. Even assuming the $5 million winger of today, becomes the $6 million winger of tomorrow.

Agents are sending Briere gift baskets today, while more than a few managers aren’t happy about knowing this deal will be mentioned way too many times this summer, by those same agents..

It’s the talk of the league today, because of what I mentioned.

The team is taking all of the risk. All of it.

That’s usually acceptable if it’s short term, but the 8 years is what has managers shaking their heads today.

He basically has to be a 30 goal scorer throughout the deal, just to break even, because he’s not the type of player to get you secondary points.

Players like Daniel Sprong are smiling a lot today.

He won’t even be looking for a prediction deal, but he’ll be looking for 4-5 years at $4-5 million, all day long now.

More than one team will be telling him to call the Flyers.
Tell me you haven’t watched the player without telling me

Reactions: Breeze 44

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Hagel is ~6 months older and signed for only 0.400 more per season. He's better defensively and has scored goals at a similar rate, while getting significantly more assists. That contract was considered 'fair' by most, so this seems a tad high, given that.

I don't think it's awful by a means, but it falls on the 'player' side of the fence IMO.
Hagel was on one of the top pp in the league last year to inflate those numbers. Tippett on the worst in the league. Now Hagel barely sniffs PP time and is a complimentary top 6 wing but that is a better deal than this? Yeah ok. And I love Hagel but I expected Tippett to get atleast his number since goal scorers get paid more. So I’m thrilled he somehow signed for less

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Tell me you haven’t watched the player without telling me
Show us all the 8 year contracts given to 24 year olds, they had to grow into?? It’s pretty rare.

Usually they're given to 21-22 year olds. Not saying it’s a bad thing, but all the risk is being taken by the team, not the player.

His value is completely dependent on scoring goals. Nobody’s gonna argue that. He’s not going to suddenly become a set up man. If he’s a 30 goal scorer every year of the deal, it’ll be a market deal, unless he suddenly starts piling up assists. Then it’ll be a great deal.

The Flyers are taking all of the risk though. All of it. If he’s closer to 20 goals in 5 of the 8 seasons, it’ll go down as a horrible deal, because he doesn’t do enough else, when he’s not scoring goals. Certainly not $6.2 million worth.

The Flyers are banking on 30 a year from him. Doesn’t take a genius to figure that out. There’s always a risk with deals like this, because they’re dependent on one set of numbers. In this case goals.

Doesn’t mean it’s a stupid contract. Just means they better be very confident his upswing not only continues, but becomes consistent year over year. They think it will be. History tells us flip a coin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad