Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] F Owen Tippett signs extension with the Flyers (8 years, $6.2M AAV)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
6M is going to be the new rate for a #2 winger, people will need to get used to this.
The money's fine, but I'm a bit surprised at the term.

But that applies to most contracts when I see them signed. IMO, only "franchise" type players should be getting 7 or 8 year deals. The "average to good" crowd should be in the 4 to 5 years (at most) range.

Reactions: Fledgemyhedge

OilWagon

Jul 20, 2019
Edmonton
People questioning this deal probably haven't watched the player. What he's done with minimal PP time and minimal time playing with elite players is very impressive.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

VijayPatel11

Mar 29, 2021
Sarasota, FL
If you told me he would be getting this kind of bag a few years ago I would've laughed, considering how bad he was with Florida... Good for him

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Tippett's been scoring at a 30-goal pace the past two seasons, and the contract locks him up for all his prime years while he still has room to grow. Unless he decides it's his retirement contract ala PLD, this is a good deal for both parties.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I like it - locked up through his entire prime and not too far beyond 30 at a reasonable number and he’s a guy who is really just hitting his stride and could definitely blossom further and have a couple solid 70 point years in him, especially depending how Philly’s rebuild goes.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wow... I mean, how long has been even a decent player for? This strikes me as being exceptionally premature.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
6 million for the next near decade for a 24 year old looking to pace out to be a 30 goal scorer is pretty shrewd IMO.

Nickhr

Jan 24, 2024
I don't think it's a good idea to be rewarding guys with huge contracts after one decent season. Sets the precedent for a team and now every player who breaks out will want the same.
So you give him a bridge deal and if he scores 35-40G then what? He had a slow start and he was was on pace for over 30 this year. If he is back right after the break I bet he still scores 30.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

But that applies to most contracts when I see them signed. IMO, only "franchise" type players should be getting 7 or 8 year deals. The "average to good" crowd should be in the 4 to 5 years (at most) range.
It’s the only way to keep the AAV down. If it were a 5 year deal, its likely closer to a $7.5M AAV.

I believe its always a given that, in the current NHL (where the average age is going down) , most long term contracts extending into the player’s mid to late 30s could be a bit of an overpayment in those latter years.

Last edited:

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
Nothing against Tippett, who is a solid player, but this kind of mid-tier contract (which could even be considered a steal) shows how goddamned insane NHL economics are when a fairly vanilla and anonymous middle-six player will make $80 million (Canadian) career earnings by the age of 32.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
A little much for me by about 1m but if you think he's going to get even better than it's not a bad deal. Hopefully he doesn't regress at all and keeps this pace up even when his usage changes.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
At Tippett's age, it's possible that he's got another step forward in his development before he rounds into his final form as a player; if that step is significant enough, this will feel like a very nice bit of business from ages 27-30. If not, we're probably going to wish Danny opted for a bridge deal.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Imagine guys who signed their contracts 40-30-20 or even 10 years ago reading this shit, dude who has scored 18, 21, 49 and 30 points in his 4 years in the NHL signs a 50million dollar deal. And im not hating, those owners have wayyyy too much money and they players need to make more but wtf?

I mean maybe its just me, but wouldnt it be reasonable to see a player put up a 50point season before you give him 50million dollars?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Tippett just put a big smile on the faces of a lot of middle of the pack NHLers
Yep. Tippett just landed a contract to grow into at 24. Doubt it’s ever an under market deal, like teams hope for with these 8 year deals, and it’s not your other typical 8 year deal, where you’re paying for market value.

Although it would still raise eyebrows, don’t think anyone would be too upset at him getting a 3-year $6.2 deal, as a prediction deal. It’s explainable. Especially with his late bloomer tag, but when you sign 8 year prediction deals, for a forward who hasn’t sniffed $6.2 million in production yet, it’s always more of a risk, than it has a chance to become a value contract. Even assuming the $5 million winger of today, becomes the $6 million winger of tomorrow.

Agents are sending Briere gift baskets today, while more than a few managers aren’t happy about knowing this deal will be mentioned way too many times this summer, by those same agents..

It’s the talk of the league today, because of what I mentioned.

The team is taking all of the risk. All of it.

That’s usually acceptable if it’s short term, but the 8 years is what has managers shaking their heads today.

He basically has to be a 30 goal scorer throughout the deal, just to break even, because he’s not the type of player to get you secondary points.

Players like Daniel Sprong are smiling a lot today.

He won’t even be looking for a prediction deal, but he’ll be looking for 4-5 years at $4-5 million, all day long now.

More than one team will be telling him to call the Flyers.

• Haha

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Nothing against Tippett, who is a solid player, but this kind of mid-tier contract (which could even be considered a steal) shows how goddamned insane NHL economics are when a fairly vanilla and anonymous middle-six player will make $80 million (Canadian) career earnings by the age of 32.
It’s not Tippet’s fault the Northern Peso is in the shitter.

Oct 18, 2006
He really impressed me against Detroit the other day. For some reason always has this feeling he was a garbage goal, piano puller type guy but some of the skill he was displaying was really impressive. Think if he stays healthy this is a good deal.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

4-5 years and they have to make their next decision at 29-30, which can go bad pretty easily.

If you can get a guy at a reasonable number, I like going all the way through to the early/mid 30's. A lot easier to cut bait at 34 than 29.

Mase

Cousins.....kind of a c**t
Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
Always liked Tipp, good wheels, GREAT wrister, needs a facilitator on his line, still a lot of time to grow
and get better.

Happy for him and his family.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
The Flyers are becoming a very likeable team and this is coming from a rival fan (Devils).

Tippet has done well with a bigger role in Philly. Good for him and the Flyers.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00