Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Vorobyev was very good. I find it hard to believe this guy couldn't be an NHL 4th liner and probably a good one. Put on a passing clinic.

We know Vorobyev is a plus passer with good vision.
His problem is that in a bottom six role, skating and using his size will be more important, Bunnaman simply outplayed him in that regard in the preseason.
What I want to see from Vorobyev is more intensity, especially on the forecheck, he shows this on the PK, but not consistently at ES.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
We all want Frost to make it. There’s a contingent who believe he should be an NHL 3C right now. That same contingent scoff at Gabriel. Well... Gabriel 2 pts in 3 AHL games, Frost 0 pts in 3 AHL games. For a guy who right now offers value only in offense, that doesn’t reek of NHL ready.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If you're being serious, Ghost Beer, you're really discrediting yourself.
Even top scorers have fallow periods where they don't score for a stretch of games.
There is no question concerning Frost's offensive skills.

His NHL readiness is an open question, because most rookies, even highly skilled ones, don't score a lot of points, TK is a good example - 24 ES points in 70 games playing 3rd line minutes. Players like Barzal are the exception, not the rule.

And if Frost doesn't give you 35-40 ES points, he's probably not a good 3C right now b/c he'll struggle defensively with bigger, more physical forwards until he learns "little men" tricks to compensate for his lack of size. You don't face a lot of 210-220 lb centers with above average speed in the CHL, and in the NHL, even the average size forward is 6'1 200.

So those who think he'll be an instant upgrade are probably fooling themselves - the triumph of optimism over experience.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
We all want Frost to make it. There’s a contingent who believe he should be an NHL 3C right now. That same contingent scoff at Gabriel. Well... Gabriel 2 pts in 3 AHL games, Frost 0 pts in 3 AHL games. For a guy who right now offers value only in offense, that doesn’t reek of NHL ready.

This is actually mad hilarious to read. It like he has turned inward and is now trolling himself in front of all of us.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Vorobyev was very good. I find it hard to believe this guy couldn't be an NHL 4th liner and probably a good one. Put on a passing clinic.

Either they think his skating is flat out not good enough. Or, the few half-ass cryptic Tweets from Meltzer, etc about other issues are the real reason he's not on the team. I can't figure anything else.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Not sure why you have to ask, Magua, since you have told others what they have watched and haven't watched.

I'll say this: I haven't watched any of the 3 Phantom games. My guess is there are probably very few posters who have watched any, though I won't dispute those who say they have.

People can nitpick all they want, but it's clear I was making a point that a number of posters are bitching that Frost should be on the Flyers right now, yet he's an offensive player who hasn't been able to record a point in 3 AHL games while many others, including Kurtis f'ing Gabriel, have outproduced him. Let's see him make an impact at the AHL level before whining about how he definitively belongs in the NHL. And I pretty clearly said I thought he'd start making an impact in the AHL pretty soon. He just isn't there quite yet. When he outproduces Kurtis Gabriel, then we can start talking about how he belongs in an NHL lineup.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
What’s your argument? That the people who decided he’d be better off in the minors at first are wrong? There’s evidence in support of him not making the NHL. There’s no evidence in support, so far, of him making it.

My argument is merely that your argument is complete bullshit. I haven't offered any commentary whatsoever on Frost. You want to know why? Because I haven't watched any of the games, and so I can't speak intelligently on the matter. He could be looking like Wayne Gretzky out there or like Brent Gretzky, but I wouldn't know because I haven't watched the games. After all, a wise man speaks because he has something to say, a fool because he has to say something.

And there's rafts of evidence in support of him making the NHL. His entire juniors career, for one. If you had actually watched the 3 games instead of just mindlessly looking at boxscores, you might have been able to point to specific things that supported either side of the argument, albeit in an extremely small sample.

I actually don't even have a problem with Frost being in the AHL right now. I just have a problem with your usual bullshit arguments rooted in fallacious thinking.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
So....the person(GB) who said "Frost will be fine but his game is simply not NHL ready. It’s not even AHL ready at the moment, though I suspect that will change."

.....finally admitted that he has not watched ANY of Frosts 3 games. Not one. Not two. Not three. Zippo. Zero.

So now we have the answer. Trust the people who have said they have watched the games and Frost has played well but had bad luck including linemates missing great setups, or trust the guy who watched ZERO games and just looked at his point totals in 3 games.

Maybe Frost's game IS AHL ready at the moment and this guy was lying or talking out his ass. Now we know.

May you all have a wonderful Tuesday.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I’m confused about one teeny tiny thing. Did the people overly critical of Frost’s AHL games and readiness actually WATCH any of the three games?

:bow:

I did watch the first game, and based my comments on what I saw, and what I saw in his two pre-season games, and a little common sense.
Frost actually has a better shot than I expected, and he flashes at times, but he's wasn't as a consistent presence as Farabee or even Twarynski.
The skill is obviously there, I just saw a guy who was a marginal NHL player RIGHT NOW, and wouldn't be hurt by a couple months in the AHL.

In the NHL, you can't just "flash," you have to bring it on a consistent basis, just compare Hayes and Voracek the first three games.
Hayes seems to make an impression on almost every shift, from back checking, making plays in the O-zone to contributing to both ST units.
Voracek has been MIA for most of his shifts so far. He's had a few good PP shifts and some good O-zone shifts, but has lacked consistency.

I think one factor is that Frost played with the puck so much in junior he's still learning how to play without the puck.
And right now the puck isn't "finding him" the way it does Giroux.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Either they think his skating is flat out not good enough. Or, the few half-ass cryptic Tweets from Meltzer, etc about other issues are the real reason he's not on the team. I can't figure anything else.

I think a fair amount of the "tough to figure out why" decisions teams make in all pro sports relate to "off the field/ice" issues. One of the fun things about my section at the games is the rumor mill. I sit next to a long time camera guy and i think he starts half of them then the whole section starts talking about stuff "they heard" which is mostly bs but every once in a while...... Anxious to hear the latest installment Saturday. Who knows what's true or not but there is no doubt Meltzer hears stuff that he doesn't report.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't think it's tough to figure out why Frost is in the AHL. He only got to play a couple of preseason games due to injury, playing center in the NHL is a lot tougher than playing wing, and they don't want him getting 10 minutes or less on the 4th line at this stage of his career.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

8352im5.gif

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
My argument is merely that your argument is complete bull****. I haven't offered any commentary whatsoever on Frost. You want to know why? Because I haven't watched any of the games, and so I can't speak intelligently on the matter. He could be looking like Wayne Gretzky out there or like Brent Gretzky, but I wouldn't know because I haven't watched the games. After all, a wise man speaks because he has something to say, a fool because he has to say something.

And there's rafts of evidence in support of him making the NHL. His entire juniors career, for one. If you had actually watched the 3 games instead of just mindlessly looking at boxscores, you might have been able to point to specific things that supported either side of the argument, albeit in an extremely small sample.

I actually don't even have a problem with Frost being in the AHL right now. I just have a problem with your usual bull**** arguments rooted in fallacious thinking.

I was also told he was demoted to the 4th line last game. But I guess I can’t use that information because I didn’t see it myself.

I’m sure he’s playing great despite being one of the few players on the team with 0 points, getting outproduced by the other kids & Kurtis f’ing Gabriel, & getting demoted to the 4th line. Yawn. Just your typical nitpicking.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I was also told he was demoted to the 4th line last game. But I guess I can’t use that information because I didn’t see it myself.

I’m sure he’s playing great despite being one of the few players on the team with 0 points, getting outproduced by the other kids & Kurtis f’ing Gabriel, & getting demoted to the 4th line. Yawn. Just your typical nitpicking.

And still doing it!

images

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Not sure why you have to ask, Magua, since you have told others what they have watched and haven't watched.

I'll say this: I haven't watched any of the 3 Phantom games. My guess is there are probably very few posters who have watched any, though I won't dispute those who say they have.

People can nitpick all they want, but it's clear I was making a point that a number of posters are *****ing that Frost should be on the Flyers right now, yet he's an offensive player who hasn't been able to record a point in 3 AHL games while many others, including Kurtis f'ing Gabriel, have outproduced him. Let's see him make an impact at the AHL level before whining about how he definitively belongs in the NHL. And I pretty clearly said I thought he'd start making an impact in the AHL pretty soon. He just isn't there quite yet. When he outproduces Kurtis Gabriel, then we can start talking about how he belongs in an NHL lineup.

Yup you said it wouldn't last long. But you did say his game isn't AHL ready right now.

Sorry if that isn't an exact quote. But that seems like what you were implying.

Again, I would love to hear your scouting report as to why you think currently, at this exact point at his career his game is not AHL ready. Not what his upside is. What are the current flaws in his game that make it not AHL ready right now.

Reactions: Striiker

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries

Let me make a guess.

I guess you don't really know at all. But your too immature and cowardly to just admit that and take a proper L over something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad