Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall played Provorov, TK and Patrick at 19 years old.
It depends on the player and their skill set and their mental and physical maturity.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Philly needs to wipe out all it's hockey media and start fresh. Broadcasters, writers, TV hosts... all of them. Taryn can stay.

Quite a few of the non-traditional media people are very good. I think Charlie is the best hockey writer at The Athletic. Ted Brown and Appleyard are very good/smart guys. I think the BSH podcast people are pretty entertaining and good, the regular writers there are bad though.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Quite a few of the non-traditional media people are very good. I think Charlie is the best hockey writer at The Athletic. Ted Brown and Appleyard are very good/smart guys. I think the BSH podcast people are pretty entertaining and good, the regular writers there are bad though.
I more meant people employed by the team, the TV channel, and local news papers.

Jackson
Clement
Jones
Boruk
Morganti
Cohen
Meltzer
Therien
Carchidi
Isaac
and so on...

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I more meant people employed by the team, the TV channel, and local news papers.

Jackson
Clement
Jones
Boruk
Morganti
Cohen
Meltzer
Therien
Carchidi
Isaac
and so on...

Agree. I actually like Jones despite his opinions at times. If Meltzer can wash off his Hexy brainwashing and return to what he was, he is more than welcome to remain.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Meltzer was hyping up a guy like Grossmann long before he worked for the Flyers. He was actually signing his praises as a defensive dman the very day that Hextall traded him as a throw-in.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas

Jackson
Clement
Jones
Boruk
Morganti
Cohen
Meltzer
Therien
Carchidi
Isaac
and so on...

yeah mostly agree on these. I've met Morganti a few times and he's a cool dude in person. I think he's OK at what he does, although I know a few people who worked with him and aren't fans.

I just look at Meltzer as a guy who's the team historian or something.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
yeah mostly agree on these. I've met Morganti a few times and he's a cool dude in person. I think he's OK at what he does, although I know a few people who worked with him and aren't fans.

I just look at Meltzer as a guy who's the team historian or something.
I don't think all of them are evil human beings, they just suck at their jobs and I hate the fact that people can be rewarded for that level of incompetence.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
While we will never know, I wouldn't have been surprised to see Hextall sign Farabee anyway. The transition that Hextall seemed to take too long with was getting guys into the NHL from the AHL, not necessarily the transition from college to pros.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I don't think all of them are evil human beings, they just suck at their jobs and I hate the fact that people can be rewarded for that level of incompetence.

In the major U.S. markets you get the younger reporters stuck with hockey jobs. After a few years the better ones move on to football, like Rich Hoffman or Les Bowen. Bowen clearly never gave any shits about hockey and his annual, "I'm going to chime in on the Flyers today" tweets are embarrassing.

In New York you barely bother to cover the Devils even in their good years because A. no one cares and B. the Devils were notoriously tight-lipped and there was never anything worth covering.

Some guys are just hockey guys like Morganti but for the most part you're not getting the cream of the crop.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
It's insane reading the content that someone like Sam C puts out against Charlie at the Athletic. All of Sam's articles are just facts/useless stats thrown together that doesn't do a damn thing for the reader.

"The Flyers are really struggling at home. They are now x-x-x at home and are really going to have a tough time against x team who is x-x-x on the road. Scott Laughton said "we are putting too much pressure on ourselves at home."

"The Flyers had a great two months where they went x-x-x but since then have lost to x team, x-x, x team x-x, x team, x-x, x team x-x. Now they are x points out of the playoffs."

Go to NHL.com and fill in the blanks and holy shit I just wrote an article for Philly.com in 5 minutes.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
In the major U.S. markets you get the younger reporters stuck with hockey jobs. After a few years the better ones move on to football, like Rich Hoffman or Les Bowen. Bowen clearly never gave any ****s about hockey and his annual, "I'm going to chime in on the Flyers today" tweets are embarrassing.

In New York you barely bother to cover the Devils even in their good years because A. no one cares and B. the Devils were notoriously tight-lipped and there was never anything worth covering.

Some guys are just hockey guys like Morganti but for the most part you're not getting the cream of the crop.
I don’t mind an honest lack of knowledge and real effort.

But our guys are often aggressively ignorant and arrogant.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's insane reading the content that someone like Sam C puts out against Charlie at the Athletic. All of Sam's articles are just facts/useless stats thrown together that doesn't do a damn thing for the reader.

"The Flyers are really struggling at home. They are now x-x-x at home and are really going to have a tough time against x team who is x-x-x on the road. Scott Laughton said "we are putting too much pressure on ourselves at home."

"The Flyers had a great two months where they went x-x-x but since then have lost to x team, x-x, x team x-x, x team, x-x, x team x-x. Now they are x points out of the playoffs."

Go to NHL.com and fill in the blanks and holy **** I just wrote an article for Philly.com in 5 minutes.

Yeah. Other than the obvious fact of Carchidi being stupid as hell, even if he was good at his job, it’s an outdated profession. Everything he types is easily found online and then it’s not going through the Carchidi filter of misinformation.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Randy Miller was the worst.

He left then came back a few seasons again only to leave again. He works for the same publication in NJ now but it’s to cover the Yankees.

I remember listening to a podcast with Charlie O’Connor & somehow the conversation of certain fans obsessed with stripping Giroux of the “C” & giving it to Simmonds came up. But Charlie dropped in that it was actually ironic because Simmonds confronted Miller before about an article he wrote questioning Giroux’s leadership ability.

I don’t know if that played a part in his departure or not.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
He left then came back a few seasons again only to leave again. He works for the same publication in NJ now but it’s to cover the Yankees.

I remember listening to a podcast with Charlie O’Connor & somehow the conversation of certain fans obsessed with stripping Giroux of the “C” & giving it to Simmonds came up. But Charlie dropped in that it was actually ironic because Simmonds confronted Miller before about an article he wrote questioning Giroux’s leadership ability.

I don’t know if that played a part in his departure or not.

I hadn't actually known where Miller went because he blocked me on Twitter years ago. I'm sure he left because the Yankees are a much better gig. Things like incidents with players or teams may loom large in the minds of fans/readers but such things don't matter at all to editors or corporate media bosses.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
I'd like to see them clear house and get fresh voices in there. JJ is beyond stale. I do like Jones and Therien, though.

Reactions: flyersfan187
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad