Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
A couple of you have compared Wahlstrom and Farabee. I have to say, I'm not alone in having Wahlstrom over Farabee. I have not seen one publication who had it the other way... whether that is McKenzie's list, or hockeyprospect.com, or mckeen's, or ISS.... I don't think there is much support outside of this board for Farabee being better than Wahlstrom but we will see.

Wahlstrom > Farabee > Bellows

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
You missed Felix Sandstrom and Kirill Ustimenko in Flyers goalie depth. They tip the scales in the Flyers favor in goalie depth. Also think Farabee will surpass Bellows. Thanks for sharing your opinion though!

As I said earlier, Sandstrom is the best of the Flyers bunch.

I don't think either goalie is better than Soderstrom.
Skarek was also one of the best goalies in this latest draft.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If you were wondering why the BSH Top 25 Under 25 is so terrible. Here is a list from one of there most vocal contributors. :thumbd:

Steph is a passionate fan, but her knowledge is very surface level.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
MSV was an AHL All-Star, in my viewings (about 6 or 7 games last year), I never saw him used at forward but its possible he did. He used to be a forward who was converted to defence just before he went to the OHL. From what I saw, he needs to continue to work on his defensive game and isn't NHL ready yet, but he's got skills.

As for the Flyers defence, Yes its almost all video (on demand mostly) .... I've seen a lot of both Myers and Morin over the years. Ginning has played 2 years at the world U18, i also saw a couple of his games in the SHL, but his ice time was a bit limited there. Hogberg, I saw him at the Under-17 when he played there, and some SHL and WJC games this year. I've seen Kalynuk and Freidman as well.

People can question how much hockey a person watches, and I agree, I don't watch a normal amount. Hockey is almost always on my TV, via my computer signed up to various on demand services. I would think the amount of detail in each of the top 10 prospects articles, and the draft preview articles, speaks for itself though.

An AHL all-star? Oh, god. Yes, we have a defenseman in Lehigh Valley that makes it every year and he's f***ing horrible. That is meaningless. And yes, I'm pretty sure MVS played forward last year, but don't know how many games (I watch games also believe it or not).

We have one player you went to bat for who they don't always play at defense. A forward who has been healthy scratched a bunch in the AHL, and another defenseman who is 5'8 and you won't even answer my question on.

You keep intentionally evading some of my questions or points that you clearly have no rebuttal for. I'm done with you.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
An AHL all-star? Oh, god. Yes, we have a defenseman in Lehigh Valley that makes it every year and he's ****ing horrible. That is meaningless. And yes, I'm pretty sure MVS played forward last year, but don't know how many games (I watch games also believe it or not).

We have one player you went to bat for who they don't always play at defense. A forward who has been healthy scratched a bunch in the AHL, and another defenseman who is 5'8 and you won't even answer my question on.

You keep intentionally evading some of my questions or points that you clearly have no rebuttal for. I'm done with you.
At the same time the Islanders Kinda need a win here. dont agree that they are better maybe at the top end. Like the top two prospects

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Steph is a passionate fan, but her knowledge is very surface level.

She and Kelly have flat out said on that podcast that they will weigh actual performance at whatever level over complete guess work.

Like Kelly had some of our high end guys at 21, I think, because the highest they played was High School. I think it was Jay O'Brien.

Steph has said the same, she puts Leier higher than most because he's played in the NHL. I'm not even sure I put Leier on the Top 25 for me. He's a zero in my eyes right now, a journeyman 4th liner is what I've seen so far.

Reactions: Rebels57

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
She and Kelly have flat out said on that podcast that they will weigh actual performance at whatever level over complete guess work.

Like Kelly had some of our high end guys at 21, I think, because the highest they played was High School. I think it was Jay O'Brien.

Steph has said the same, she puts Leier higher than most because he's played in the NHL. I'm not even sure I put Leier on the Top 25 for me. He's a zero in my eyes right now, a journeyman 4th liner is what I've seen so far.

I accept that everyone has their own criteria, but if that's the thought process, putting a WHL Goalie at #5 makes absolutely no sense.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Wahlstrom > Farabee > Bellows

This how I see it. I think Wahlstrom is going to be a good future sniper, as someone who could put up 30+ goals year in and year out kind of guy. Farabee I think is going to be a middle ground, where he can score goals and pass, just not scoring as many. While Bellows did put up 9 goals in 7 games with the WJC, I am still not completely sold on him. He had his shot to work with Cody Glass in the WHL, which is the highest scoring CHL league, and the points didn't jump off the page as someone being 19 going into 20 a few months after the season ends. That's just me. I feel like Bellows might be like another Dal Colle.

Reactions: Rebels57

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I accept that everyone has their own criteria, but if that's the thought process, putting a WHL Goalie at #5 makes absolutely no sense.

Well, there are always exceptions to the rule, somebody can feel their eliteness pushes them higher.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

They should stop making lists. Horrible justification and criteria. Complete nonsense.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
An AHL all-star? Oh, god. Yes, we have a defenseman in Lehigh Valley that makes it every year and he's ****ing horrible. That is meaningless. And yes, I'm pretty sure MVS played forward last year, but don't know how many games (I watch games also believe it or not).

I think anyone here can see I've been very patient and answered most of your questions. It's not my fault that you don't like the answers.

You accused me of not having a handle on the Flyers prospects and granted I probably don't follow the team as close as a Flyers fan, I do try to follow all 31 teams. I would say you have less of a handle on the Islanders than I do.

More importantly... I have no bias here, I'm neither an Islanders nor a Flyers fan.

Lastly, yes... Quenneville is 5'8. A number of smaller defencemen are making the NHL now but granted he's really small. Do you really think there is a huge difference between being 5'8 and being 5'9 like Torey Krug, Jared Spurgeon, and Victor Mete? Do you think one inch makes it now impossible that he can make it? I don't. But on top of that, he was the 6th defenceman on my Islanders list. He was behind Noah Dobson, Bode Wilde, Devon Toews, Sebastian Aho, and Vande Somple.

Your attacks are based on the 5th and 6th guys in the system.

The Flyers fourth guy was Hogberg, 5th at Walynuk, and 6th at Friedman, Just for perspective.

Besides that, its the high end of the system that is going to have the biggest impact on the rankings, not the 6th best forward, or the 5th and 6th best defencemen in the system. That is why when I originally gave my explanation, I did the top prospects in the system first... and then moved to depth defencemen and depth forwards.... but sure, let's argue Quenneville vs Friedman, when chances are that neither will have much impact at the NHL level, even if they make it. That is why the guys at the top of the system matter more. It is highly unlikely that any organization has 6 defencemen in their prospect pool, right now, who will all be impact NHLers.

Last edited:

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I think anyone here can see I've been very patient and answered most of your questions. Its not my fault that you don't like the answers.

You accused me of not having a handle on the Flyers prospects, and granted i probably don't follow the team as close as a flyers fan, i do try to follow all 31. I would say you have less of a handle on the Islanders that I do.

More importantly... I have no bias here, I'm neither an Islanders nor a Flyers fan.

Lastly, yes... Quenneville is 5'8. More and more smaller defencemen are making the NHL now, but granted he's really small. Do you really think there is a huge difference between being 5'8 and being 5'9 like Torey Krug, Jared Spurgeon, and Victor Mete? Do you think one inch makes it now impossible that he can make it? I don't. But on top of that he was the 6th defenceman on my islanders list. He was behind Noah Dobson, Bode Wilde, Devon Toews, Sebastian Aho, and MVS.

Your attacks are based on the 5th and 6th guys in the system.

The Flyers fourth guy was Hogberg, 5th at Walynuk, and 6th at Friedman. Just for perspective.

Besides that, its the high end of the system that is going to have the biggest impact on the rankings, not the 6th best forward, or the 5th and 6th best defencemen in the system. That is why when i originally gave my explanation, I did the top prospects in the system first... and then moved to depth defencemen and depth forwards.... but sure, lets argue Quenneville vs Friedman, when chances are that neither will have much impact at the NHL level, even if they make it. That is why the guys at the top of the system matter more. It is highly unlikely that any organization has 6 defencemen in their prospect pool right now, who will all be impact NHLers.

You've totally missed the point. I have no more time for you.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I could care less if the Isles prospect only system is rated slightly higher than ours. We have better 25 and under talent in the organization by a long shot. Thats what builds a championship team. We also have FAR superior veterans to usher them along.

Reactions: BernieParent

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah, your avatar just screams Everyman to me.
2evb8xu.gif

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I really don't get the point of a "under 25" list. Coots was in the NHL for 6 years by that point

That's valid, however that's an exceptional to the rule. Before Couts, Provorov, Patrick, Konecny. How many Flyer Prospects played before 21/22?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Magua tried to get the English snobs off his land. He certainly wasn’t a snob himself. Just saying this in case you forgot he tried to help your ancestors win a damn war, Mr. Quebecois. Now you slander his memory.

Hmm, what did happen to poor Magua, ran into a veteran player who knew how to use his stick!

Experience does matter!

Reactions: Magua
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad