Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [Summer 2021 edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Running the same system as the big club I think this team will not only compete but have players ready to transition to the big club

It also wouldn't surprise me for lapi to put a veteran in the doghouse for not giving full effort ala Brennan. Ahl pros will play the right way to get younger guys to commit. As a new coach he'll need to reward guys for what he wants

That would make sense if it wasnt the worst system in the NHL :laugh:

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
That would make sense if it wasnt the worst system in the NHL :laugh:

I don't understand how anyone can't see what an issue the system was last year. The forwards fly the zone because that's what AV wants them to do, not because they're being defensively lazy. There's no organized breakout as a 5 man unit. The defensemen end up isolated and if they can't make a play, chaos ensues, especially if they aren't getting elite goaltending.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Anyone who wants to do prospect polls this year, go ahead. I won't be doing them.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I don't understand how anyone can't see what an issue the system was last year. The forwards fly the zone because that's what AV wants them to do, not because they're being defensively lazy. There's no organized breakout as a 5 man unit. The defensemen end up isolated and if they can't make a play, chaos ensues, especially if they aren't getting elite goaltending.
The forwards flew the zone because they were cheating. I guarantee you that AV isn't instructing them to cheat like that. There's a reason Fletcher said that the coaching staff has to get back to hockey 101 with the team starting in camp.

Reactions: orangey

mja

Jan 7, 2005
The forwards flew the zone because they were cheating. I guarantee you that AV isn't instructing them to cheat like that. There's a reason Fletcher said that the coaching staff has to get back to hockey 101 with the team starting in camp.

Then tell me what our breakout is, because we've pretty exclusively been using stretch passes and shit, or why AV isn't a failure as a coach because the entire forward corps is apparently cheating instead of playing the system. It's absolutely the system and it is what AV wants, and what he's tended to put in place. This isn't new for him. Why do you think we groaned when he was hired?

There's logic to it. Attack and get it up the ice quickly and put the defending team on their heels. Except, everybody knows it's coming now and has game planned to counter attack it, and you need defensemen who can execute, because it puts a ton of pressure on them to make difficult plays, and if shit goes wrong, and the goalie isn't playing at an elite level, then you get what we had last season. The irony is that we traded the defenseman who could most consistently start the breakout in this system. No, not Hagg. Nope, not Myers either.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Then tell me what our breakout is, because we've pretty exclusively been using stretch passes and shit, or why AV isn't a failure as a coach because the entire forward corps is apparently cheating instead of playing the system. It's absolutely the system and it is what AV wants, and what he's tended to put in place. This isn't new for him. Why do you think we groaned when he was hired?

There's logic to it. Attack and get it up the ice quickly and put the defending team on their heals. Except, everybody knows it's coming now and has game planned to counter attack it, and you need defensemen who can execute, because it puts a ton of pressure on them to make difficult plays, and if shit goes wrong, and the goalie isn't playing at an elite level, then you get what we had last season. The irony is that we traded the defenseman who could most consistently start the breakout in this system. No, not Hagg. Nope, not Myers either.

If you’ve watched hockey over the years, you know that a large “gap” between forwards & defensemen is a bad habit that creeps into many teams, every season.

Very few if any coaches are instructing the forwards have such a large gap. It results from players losing their fundamentals & details, & trying to take shortcuts.

The Flyers need to use this camp to reteach & drill their systems from the ground up.

Reactions: orangey

mja

Jan 7, 2005
If you’ve watched hockey over the years, you know that a large “gap” between forwards & defensemen is a bad habit that creeps into many teams, every season.

Very few if any coaches are instructing the forwards have such a large gap. It results from players losing their fundamentals & details, & trying to take shortcuts.

The Flyers need to use this camp to reteach & drill their systems from the ground up.

Dude, I'm telling you, I know you don't want to believe it, and neither do I, but that's the system. AV is one of the few coaches (incidentally, so was Scott Gordon), hence our issue.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Dude, I'm telling you, I know you don't want to believe it, and neither do I, but that's the system. AV is one of the few coaches (incidentally, so was Scott Gordon), hence our issue.

It's simple, let's see how they look in camp and October.
Instead of jumping to conclusions over a 2 year period with widely divergent circumstances.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
I have to say I'm not a fan of the moves the Flyers made. I just don't get bringing back the re-treads (actually Thompson was never a "tread"!). This is a strategy that just does not work and blocks development of prospects. Maybe the prospects don't pan out, but you have to at least try (and give them more than 1 game if they din't have a 5 point night). The re-treads are afforded long dry spells (some a career worth), but prospects get a game, maybe even a period.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Paying players millions of dollars well into their mid-30s is ridiculous. We are going to have the same issues with Ellis, Hayes, Attkinson and soon to be signed Couterier, that we re having/had with JVR and Voracek. The only saving grace is apparenting most GMs suffer from this affliction. i can't believe some of the contract $$$ and length that were given out. If the cap goes to infintiy I guess the strategy will work.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018

A smart coach builds a system around his players strengths not the other way around .

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

You really don’t get it. That is AV’s system. I taught 12 yr olds not to fly the zone. If AV could not get them to stop, he should resign.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Paying players millions of dollars well into their mid-30s is ridiculous. We are going to have the same issues with Ellis, Hayes, Attkinson and soon to be signed Couterier, that we re having/had with JVR and Voracek. The only saving grace is apparenting most GMs suffer from this affliction. i can't believe some of the contract $$$ and length that were given out. If the cap goes to infintiy I guess the strategy will work.
Having aging players on expensive contracts is the cost of doing business in today’s NHL. Almost every team has a couple of these on their roster. Ellis is the key player on the defense. His money isn’t bad but his term is sketchy. It’s the cost for a player of his ability. Hayes isn’t a pretty sight but, for now, he’s the 2C on this club. Atkinson is the price you pay for signing Voracek to his over payment. At least Atkinson has some all around skills and is a willing shooter. Couts is the heart of this team. He needs and should be paid. He’s been a bargain for a long time and has never complained about a thing. I have no issue with him getting a max contract.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
You really don’t get it. That is AV’s system. I taught 12 yr olds not to fly the zone. If AV could not get them to stop, he should resign.
It's not the system.

Do you really think AV instructed Voracek to cheat at the defensive blueline, above the puck when there were three teammate in a puck battle on the wall, instead of rotating down and covering the slot? Of course not. Even AV said in the press conference after the game he'd have to ask "Jakey" what he was doing there.

It's all the same thing. Cheating. Taking short cuts. Getting in bad habits.

With the limited camp, condensed schedule, and essentially no practice time, the Flyers weren't able to iron them all out. They need to rebuild everything from the ground up this offseason. It's why, as I said, Fletcher said the staff needs to re-teach "Hockey 101" to the players this camp.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
It's not the system.

Do you really think AV instructed Voracek to cheat at the defensive blueline, above the puck when there were three teammate in a puck battle on the wall, instead of rotating down and covering the slot? Of course not. Even AV said in the press conference after the game he'd have to ask "Jakey" what he was doing there.

With the limited camp, condensed schedule, and essentially no practice time, the Flyers weren't able to iron them all out. They need to rebuild everything from the ground up this offseason. It's why, as I said, Fletcher said the staff needs to re-teach "Hockey 101" to the players this camp.
I know you are trying to defend AV and all and i have no problem with that but from what I have been told is there is communication problems between AV and his players . He is famous for not communicating with his younger players and said himself when asked about the influence of the new guys in the locker room late in the year " I'm seldom in there so you would have to talk to some of the vets about that" . MT is a disaster at this as well at this and I was told that Lappy was the only one the younger players could confide in .

Now with no practice time it is easy for players to fall into bad habits but there are in game communications you can have besides standing behind the bench with your arms crossed talking french with your buddy MT . He is great in blaming the young players and talking about the lack of training time of the Canadian players and other excuses but looking in the mirror and saying is there something else he could have done does not seem to be it .

Fletcher said they have all sat down in the offseason to try and figure out what all went wrong and so far it seems the blame is still just on the players with player movement . Communications with your younger players or lack of it is a problem , add that to your list Fletch .

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
It's not the system.

Any hockey coach who can’t get players to play his system is a failure. Sit them on the bench. Blaming lack of practice is BS. They are pros, they don’t need hockey 101, they need a coach whose system makes sense. AV makes $5MM a year and fails to do what any beer league captain or peewee coach can do easily. How sad is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad