Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [Summer 2021 edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Looks like they gave Jim McCrossin the boot.
Yeah, we probably would've heard about it during the season if he was retiring.

Jason Smith joining the Phantoms staff is the most notable thing, along with Mike O'Connell setting himself up to take over for Chuck I guess

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Yeah, we probably would've heard about it during the season if he was retiring.

Jason Smith joining the Phantoms staff is the most notable thing, along with Mike O'Connell setting himself up to take over for Chuck I guess
The O’Connell move seems connected to Lombardi.

Pretty clear the organization was pissed with a lot of players’ conditioning & that was the end of McCrossin.

I do like that they added another pro scout in Beverley; & that’s ostensibly what O’Connell will be, too, I’m sure. Just not on the road as much.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Smith had really good positioning and had lost whatever feet he had before coming here to get us into the playoffs on two bad shoulders. If he can pass that on to the young defense he'll be an asset to the staff. Two of the three guys are known to be good communicators which says we may be seeing long stays in Lehigh where guys come up as finished products.

Strength training has changed tremendously in the past few years and I'm hoping they brought some one in with a more modern mindset. If a guy comes out of shape for training camp he should be on the fast track for the echl

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Smith had really good positioning and had lost whatever feet he had before coming here to get us into the playoffs on two bad shoulders. If he can pass that on to the young defense he'll be an asset to the staff. Two of the three guys are known to be good communicators which says we may be seeing long stays in Lehigh where guys come up as finished products.

Strength training has changed tremendously in the past few years and I'm hoping they brought some one in with a more modern mindset. If a guy comes out of shape for training camp he should be on the fast track for the echl

Part of my brain considers the Smith take that you highlighted as a potential negative. With Laperriere we now have 2 LHV coaches whose careers were defined by working through serious injury and being great warriors. That is absolutely laudable; character is important and Smith and Laperriere are great examples. But this is not necessarily the key lesson you want to impart to your prospects. Nobody would want York, for example, still taking a regular shift late in a close game after suffering a serious injury.

That being said, the team needs coaches who can teach the Phantoms to execute a strong on-ice strategy in all 3 zones while developing their individual strengths. I don't have confidence that this staff is the best to do so.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I have no problem with the Jason Smith hire. He was an assistant in Ottawa for two years, coached in Kelowna for three and was an associate in Prince George for a season. He's done his time and while his last season in Kelowna wasn't all that great, the team was basically gutted and he only had two viable defensemen to work with in Kaeden Korczak and Lassi Thompson. I'm interested to see how he does with the young defenders. If the staff sucks, they can be replaced, but I'll give kudos that at the very least, Schmuck and Nature Boy see the development system as a problem and they're trying to address it.

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I have no problem with the Jason Smith hire. He was an assistant in Ottawa for two years, coached in Kelowna for three and was an associate in Prince George for a season. He's done his time and while his lay season in Kelowna wasn't all that great, the team was basically gutted and he only had two viable defensemen to work with in Kaeden Korczak and Lassi Thompson. I'm interested to see how he does with the young defenders. If the staff books, they can be replaced, but I'll give kudos that at the very least, Schmuck and Nature Boy see the development system as a problem and they're trying to address it.

Thanks for this information about Smith, BCF16. I figured he had some coaching experience but was the height of laziness in not checking it out.

Also, it is good that changes are being made. It remains to be seen if improvements have been made.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Benny is correct Foerster and Wisdom can both play for the Phantoms. If the Phantoms don't dominate the division then the onus is on the coaching staff......oh .... wait...
What a surprise...

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Benny is correct Foerster and Wisdom can both play for the Phantoms. If the Phantoms don't dominate the division then the onus is on the coaching staff......oh .... wait...
What a surprise...
AHL hockey will be back to normal this year . The 6 players on the taxi squads will be back in the AHL this year which should increase the talent as it will bump several lower players down the the ECHL . As for Phantoms dominating it is up in the air yet , time will tell .

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Willman - Fitzgerald - Foerster
Ratcliffe - Mayhew - Wisdom
J Cates - Bunnaman - Sandin
Strome - Rubtsov - Sushko

York - Zamula
Hogberg - Clendening
Millman - Wylie
Seeler, Zech

Sandstrom, Ustimenko
The lineup I have is a little different I got O’ Rielly and Laczynski in instead of Bunny and Strome at forward.

I could see Laczynski starting with Lehigh for ice time since he was coming off an injury at the end of last season, but Lac should eventually get a call up around Christmas.

I’m also not sure if Millman should go back to the OHL as an overager or in the ECHL with the Royals for more ice time.

Line 1 LW Willman C O’Reilly* RW Sandin
Line 2 LW Fitzgerald C Laczynski RW Foerster
Line 3 LW Mayhew C Rubtsov RW Sushko
Line 4 LW Ratcliffe C J. Cates RW Wisdom

1st Pair LD York RD Clendening
2nd Pair LD Zamula RD Wylie
3rd Pair LD Seeler RD Hogberg

Goalies:
Starter: Sandstorm
Backup: Ustimenko

Scratched:
LW Strome
LD Zech

ECHL:
LW Saulnier*
LD Millman
RD Day*
* AHL contract.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Some of this will be determined in TC, Bunnaman I think has to clear waivers, so he'll have to play his way off the big team, Laczynski may be slowed by hip surgery, someone always seems to surprise.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
"Bunnaman I think has to clear waivers, so he'll have to play his way off the big team"-Dead

Oh the irony.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
How is it the Flyers are up against the salary cap? This is more of a rhetorical question as its basic math, I get it. But the NYR have an $11MM player, an $8MM player, a goalie that is projected to make $6MM, and even with all of this are projected to be around $73MM for a 22 man roster. The Flyers seem to consistently (there are some exceptions) pay players a little more than they are worth and I guess this adds up over a 22 man roster. They also tend to shy awy from youth (ELCs).......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad