Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [Summer 2021 edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Lehigh Valley Phantoms Media and Team Coverage
th
Allentown Morning Call
American Hockey League
Lehigh Valley Phantoms
Inside AHL Hockey
Reading Royals Media and Team Coverage
21-22_Printable_Schedule_fix
ECHL
Reading Eagle
Reading Royals
Additional
OIP.NhV1Q97cUHw-q46W1wV6DQHaDt

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ladies and gentlemen, the new Phantoms coach:

“There is a fine line for sure. At the end of the day, it’s going to go back to the way I want the team to play and back into the structure. I want to have those kids buy into that structure. And if they do get better, it won’t be a free ride. If they don’t play in your structure, they won’t play. I go back to the only thing I control is the ice time. One big thing I control, it’s the ice time. It’s part of being a pro. If you do the right thing, if the coach is asking you to do this and you don’t, well there’s consequences. It comes along that if we have more guys doing it, we will win more games than lose games.”

Sounds like he'll be just greeeaaat for our prospects.

Laperriere: "I Will Bring Positive Energy" - Lehigh Valley Phantoms

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
What, a coach is supposed to be fine with players not following the team structure? That’s asinine. You aren’t developing a player as a pro if you let him ignore instructions & freelance without consequences. A huge part of coaching new pros is breaking them of bad habits they could get away with in the amateur ranks.

Yeesh.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Not saying they don't need structure. But this sounds like he's talking black and white and won't give leeway to new kids to the pros. That's my problem. I think the better way for a player to get better is to allow them to play through or make up from their own mistakes and learn it first hand, rather than just being benched all the time. I think if a pro, one that has been around a while, isn't doing what he should be doing and you know he can be better or he's being a detriment, then I could see him being benched. But going from juniors or possible overseas to the AHL is a different experience and being punished for not being used to that experience already is kind of stupid.

Yes, give them structure and build from it and hopefully be a better player, but with kids, you have to let them work out some of their mistakes on their own by playing the game. Having a kid make a bad play, then get benched for a decent amount of time doesn't make the kid exactly learn how to do that play better or how to specifically not do that specific play.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Not saying they don't need structure. But this sounds like he's talking black and white and won't give leeway to new kids to the pros. That's my problem. I think the better way for a player to get better is to allow them to play through or make up from their own mistakes and learn it first hand, rather than just being benched all the time. I think if a pro, one that has been around a while, isn't doing what he should be doing and you know he can be better or he's being a detriment, then I could see him being benched. But going from juniors or possible overseas to the AHL is a different experience and being punished for not being used to that experience already is kind of stupid.

Yes, give them structure and build from it and hopefully be a better player, but with kids, you have to let them work out some of their mistakes on their own by playing the game. Having a kid make a bad play, then get benched for a decent amount of time doesn't make the kid exactly learn how to do that play better or how to specifically not do that specific play.
He didn’t say they weren’t allowed to make mistakes. He said they’ll be held accountable for following the team structure. If they make mistakes trying to follow the structure, it won’t be a problem. If they ignore the structure, they will be held accountable.

That’s exactly the way it should be. Coddling players doesn’t help anyone.

Reactions: BernieParent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->