Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [Post draft 2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Perhaps in Silicon Valley (although I doubt it), but that's not the case in Seattle where I've worked for the last 22 years. I've managed and hired dozens of sw developers, and where the candidate went to college was never much of a factor for me or my company. In fact, it's somewhat of a hindrance when staffing entry level positions as recent grads from top engineering schools tend to have significantly inflated (and unjustified) compensation demands.

I wouldn't even call it regional, just company-specific. Berkeley grads end up at Facebook/Google/LinkedIn just as often as those from Stanford. Washington is just as common if not more so, especially if you count Amazon.

I've never done dedicated Software Dev, but I'm always after autodidacts. The constant flood of new info in InfoSec demands it.

skagittarius

Jan 18, 2016
PNW
I've never done dedicated Software Dev, but I'm always after autodidacts. The constant flood of new info in InfoSec demands it.

Very true. IT is very much a meritocracy. I've hired candidates without degrees or with degrees in completely unrelated fields who became outstanding developers. One of the best developers that worked with me was a fisheries observer with an SDSU biology degree that was taking on-line programming classes when I hired him. He's now making 10 times what he made as an observer but is still doing a lot of on-line learning. Also, I'm not sure I agree with DH's assertion regarding wall street and business schools. I'm sure there are lots of hiring managers at investment banks and hedge funds that don't give a rip about where you went to school. Ace Greenberg at Bear Stearns was famous for that.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Very true. IT is very much a meritocracy. I've hired candidates without degrees or with degrees in completely unrelated fields who became outstanding developers. One of the best developers that worked with me was a fisheries observer with an SDSU biology degree that was taking on-line programming classes when I hired him. He's now making 10 times what he made as an observer but is still doing a lot of on-line learning. Also, I'm not sure I agree with DH's assertion regarding wall street and business schools. I'm sure there are lots of hiring managers at investment banks and hedge funds that don't give a rip about where you went to school. Ace Greenberg at Bear Stearns was famous for that.

Not when it comes to raising venture capital funds and angel money. Connections matter.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Penn State No. 1 Among Recruiters, Wall Street Journal Finds — News

This school is No. 2 for graduating CEOs—and it's not Harvard, MIT or Wharton
Before you crap all over Penn State, you might want to know what you are talking about. You aren’t meeting George Bush there but you are graduating into a huge alumni network that takes care of its own. Give me someone poor smart and hungry over any pampered legacy from an Ivy League school that mommy and daddy pulled strings to get them into. Universities matter only as far as opening the door. Penn State has a crap ton of alumni holding those doors.
Penn State has one of the highest enrollments in the nation. They get the fallout of Penn applicants like Pitt gets the fallout of Carnegie Mellon applicants. My only qualm with business students from Penn State is that they’ve been less than desirable. A bunch tried to jump into private equity without taking their time as an analyst first or at least being in an administrative quant role. These aren’t undergrads either who are graduating trying to make a name for themselves. These are their MBA grads who talk about black-scholes (that’s my favorite when they bring that up so I can see if they actually know it - hint... they don’t - and then I send them home after talking themselves out of the position) and other quant analytics and just crap the bed. All of that is rough, but that’s the only school where the graduates coming out feel like they’re entitled to the position or have a chip on their shoulder. It’s really weird.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Penn State has one of the highest enrollments in the nation. They get the fallout of Penn applicants like Pitt gets the fallout of Carnegie Mellon applicants. My only qualm with business students from Penn State is that they’ve been less than desirable. A bunch tried to jump into private equity without taking their time as an analyst first or at least being in an administrative quant role. These aren’t undergrads either who are graduating trying to make a name for themselves. These are their MBA grads who talk about black-scholes (that’s my favorite when they bring that up so I can see if they actually know it - hint... they don’t - and then I send them home after talking themselves out of the position) and other quant analytics and just crap the bed. All of that is rough, but that’s the only school where the graduates coming out feel like they’re entitled to the position or have a chip on their shoulder. It’s really weird.

tenor-1.gif

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
This might go over everyones heads due to the inherent British nature of it...

but it is University related ahah.

Lancashire vs Yorkshire is one of the biggest rivalries in the country. ~700 year old feud between the two biggest counties in the nation. I am a Lancastrian. I have our Red Rose tattooed on my inside arm.

Yet me (Sheffield), my brother (York) and my sister (Leeds) have now ALL gone to different Yorkshire universities. :laugh: There are only three Yorkshire Universities that are top ~20 in the UK/ top ~100 in the world and those are the three.

I guess my brother who is 18 will maybe break the trend though. He seems like he will go to Bristol (Gloucestershire) or Glasgow. Looking forward to that as both great places to visit!

Reactions: ybnvs

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018

Lancashire vs Yorkshire is one of the biggest rivalries in the country. ~700 year old feud between the two biggest counties in the nation. I am a Lancastrian. I have our Red Rose tattooed on my inside arm.

Yet me (Sheffield), my brother (York) and my sister (Leeds) have now ALL gone to different Yorkshire universities. :laugh: There are only three Yorkshire Universities that are top ~20 in the UK/ top ~100 in the world and those are the three.

I guess my brother who is 18 will maybe break the trend though. He seems like he will go to Bristol (Gloucestershire) or Glasgow. Looking forward to that as both great places to visit!

f*** Sheffield

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

"Now is our winter of discontent, made glorious summer by this son of York."

Too bad the English vaccine wasn't made in Yorkshire.

Of course, we have both a York and Lancaster in Southeastern PA, but I don't think they have much of a rivalry.
The War of the Roses never made it to the colonies.

Reactions: Appleyard

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Watching Sochi (Rubtsov) vs CSKA. Sochi has barely had the puck through 9 minutes so far. Lots of defense for Rubtsov

MichaelRaffl

Aug 13, 2009
Vilnius
It did. Lancaster is touted as the red rose city and York the white rose. I live in Lancaster and Red Rose is a common name for commons, business areas, the public transit is named Red Rose transit authority.

"Now is our winter of discontent, made glorious summer by this son of York."

Too bad the English vaccine wasn't made in Yorkshire.

Of course, we have both a York and Lancaster in Southeastern PA, but I don't think they have much of a rivalry.
The War of the Roses never made it to the colonies.

Reactions: ybnvs

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Watching Sochi (Rubtsov) vs CSKA. Sochi has barely had the puck through 9 minutes so far. Lots of defense for Rubtsov

Sochi are like an AHL team playing in the NHL...

Their #2 Dman was in the VHL last year and the ECHL the year before that.

Stromwall is the ONLY player on their team who has ever put up over 0.5 P/GP in the KHL. (albeit Karjalainen is in 1st year and was top Liiga player.)

Rubtsov is getting a lot of practice playing vs high-end offensive players though, especially given CSKA, SKA, Lokomotiv and Jokerit are in their conference. (Kazan on the other side are the only "great" team I think in the East.)

And tbh he is doing really well in the DZ. 23 games played and just 8 goals against. One of 3 players who are a + on the team.

He has probably played ~280 mins of 5v5 time after tonight. So you are talking in the ~1.6-1.8 GA/60 range. Which is good whatever. Let alone playing for Sochi.

TB87

May 30, 2018
Sochi are like an AHL team playing in the NHL...

Their #2 Dman was in the VHL last year and the ECHL the year before that.

Stromwall is the ONLY player on their team who has ever put up over 0.5 P/GP in the KHL. (albeit Karjalainen is in 1st year and was top Liiga player.)

Rubtsov is getting a lot of practice playing vs high-end offensive players though, especially given CSKA, SKA, Lokomotiv and Jokerit are in their conference. (Kazan on the other side are the only "great" team I think in the East.)

And tbh he is doing really well in the DZ. 23 games played and just 8 goals against. One of 3 players who are a + on the team.

He has probably played ~280 mins of 5v5 time after tonight. So you are talking in the ~1.6-1.8 GA/60 range. Which is good whatever. Let alone playing for Sochi.

No doubt. He’s very aggressive defensively. The lack of consistent aggression (or even interest) in creating offensive opportunities for his team is what gives me a lot of pause about this player.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
No doubt. He’s very aggressive defensively. The lack of consistent aggression (or even interest) in creating offensive opportunities for his team is what gives me a lot of pause about this player.

What I find funny is that when he does create offence it is usually really high danger.

Like when he sets up etc it is in the right areas, and he generally gets free. His shot locations for example this year are basically ALL from the slot and netfront. BUT he does this like 50% as much as he should and even though has improved vs AHL still is way too tentative at times and hangs back like a 3rd Dman.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
What I find funny is that when he does create offence it is usually really high danger.

Like when he sets up etc it is in the right areas, and he generally gets free. His shot locations for example this year are basically ALL from the slot and netfront. BUT he does this like 50% as much as he should and even though has improved vs AHL still is way too tentative at times and hangs back like a 3rd Dman.
Is sushko playing for Dynamo Minsk today? I couldn’t tell if he was on the ice, plus since the commentating is Russian I can’t understand anything :laugh:

TB87

May 30, 2018

I wish I could find the humor in this like you can! He’s just so incredibly frustrating man.

TB87

May 30, 2018
HV71’s PP is an abomination. Whoa boy is it bad. Everything this team does is done poorly. Heckuva coach they have there. Top-notch ineptitude. I feel for Sandin & Andrae. At least Andrae got regular ice time in the 1st period today though!

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
HV71 have gone from one of the best drilled, most cohesive teams in Europe to a pile of slop over summer...

They have only lost 3 regulars. Anthony Camara, Nils Andersson (retired with injury) and Lauridsens brother. BUT they also lost their coach.

While gaining: Lias Andersson (played NHL), Fredrik Forsberg (top scorer), Anton Wedin (played NHL), Jesper Kokkonen, Arell and Bertov.

They should be as good or better on paper. But virtually EVERYONE is playing below expected level.

TB87

May 30, 2018
HV71 have gone from one of the best drilled, most cohesive teams in Europe to a pile of slop over summer...

They have only lost 3 regulars. Anthony Camara, Nils Andersson (retired with injury) and Lauridsens brother. BUT they also lost their coach.

While gaining: Lias Andersson (played NHL), Fredrik Forsberg (top scorer), Anton Wedin (played NHL), Jesper Kokkonen, Arell and Bertov.

They should be as good or better on paper. But virtually EVERYONE is playing below expected level.

It’s legitimately hard to watch. Better than the NFL games today though! Ravens-Steelers would’ve been an awesome game. Oh well.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
HV71’s PP is an abomination. Whoa boy is it bad. Everything this team does is done poorly. Heckuva coach they have there. Top-notch ineptitude. I feel for Sandin & Andrae. At least Andrae got regular ice time in the 1st period today though!

They have a better team than last year on paper...

albeit he loves sabotaging himself with his love for Defensive Dmen.

Anton Karlsson has been partially responsible for 2 goals in his last ~15 shifts between today and last game where he took Andrae's shift.

Stromberg: Their worst regular Dman last year... he has been given an A and more minutes... #3 right now.
Arell: A "meh" SHL #5-6. Rode a 105 PDO last year with Malmo.
Karlsson: Worst Dman in SHL so far this year. 30% Corsi in 9 games. Still rolled out for shifts.

Bertov is at least decent as a defensive Dman. But he is a good bottom pairing guy, not 2nd pairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad