Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [Post draft 2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
This might go over everyones heads due to the inherent British nature of it...

but it is University related ahah.

Lancashire vs Yorkshire is one of the biggest rivalries in the country. ~700 year old feud between the two biggest counties in the nation. I am a Lancastrian. I have our Red Rose tattooed on my inside arm.

I am a Lancastrian too, and I live in the Red Rose City of Lancaster. I loathe York and the people from York. Scum, all of them

My GF works in York..... scum.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
41 of Linkoping reacting like he got an RPG round to the face towards the end of the 2nd period to draw a penalty was highly entertaining. Was something you’d expect to see on a football (soccer) field...not in a hockey game.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

TB87

May 30, 2018
LMFAO.

Half the team went for a linechange when they had the puck with potential 4v2...

after a too many men when set up in OZ earlier.

This coach is next-level bad. I'm continually amazed whenever I watch HV71 play.

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
This coach is next-level bad. I'm continually amazed whenever I watch HV71 play.

His Bertov-Stromberg pairing as a 2nd pair is hilarious. Like... they just get caught in own zone until Bertov cleans up.

And they have guys in J20 who are better than Karlsson has been this season.

I think Arell got injured today, left in 1st. Maybe gets him more time... but would not shock me if he played Karlsson more.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
I am a Lancastrian too, and I live in the Red Rose City of Lancaster. I loathe York and the people from York. Scum, all of them

My GF works in York..... scum.

In PA in the Eastern League [ baseball] on the east side of the Suesquehanna River were the Lancaster Red Roses on the western side were the York White Roses....nice factoid.. I have relatives on both sides of the River.....

Reactions: ybnvs

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
This might go over everyones heads due to the inherent British nature of it...

but it is University related ahah.

Lancashire vs Yorkshire is one of the biggest rivalries in the country. ~700 year old feud between the two biggest counties in the nation. I am a Lancastrian. I have our Red Rose tattooed on my inside arm.

Yet me (Sheffield), my brother (York) and my sister (Leeds) have now ALL gone to different Yorkshire universities. :laugh: There are only three Yorkshire Universities that are top ~20 in the UK/ top ~100 in the world and those are the three.

I guess my brother who is 18 will maybe break the trend though. He seems like he will go to Bristol (Gloucestershire) or Glasgow. Looking forward to that as both great places to visit!

The War of the Roses is a very well known event if you love history of course....read on it some years ago.....I guess I am Pro York simply because of our recent draft choice......

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The War of the Roses is a very well known event if you love history of course....read on it some years ago.....I guess I am Pro York simply because of our recent draft choice......

What is hilarious is Lancastrians and Yorkies are two of the people similar peoples in the UK. East Lancashire and West Yorkshire have very similar accents and cultures.

Except they love to brag and are not very smart.
And we are pessimistic and more cunning.
Both of us are miserly and a bit stabby though.

We are technically divided by the biggest hill range in England, but a lot of the places on the border have been changed back and forward over time with governments changing districts etc.

If you went ~2 miles east of my parents house that is historically Yorkshire, but now Lancashire... and the "Lancashire" signs are always damaged, shot up etc as there are a lot of people there who still consider themselves Yorkies.

Still some really cool sporting rivalries over it.

The two counties have a ridiculous record at sport, for example our Olympic medal contribution, as well as number of players who make up nation sport teams, is massive. There are ~11 million of us, 20% of the country, but it is not uncommon for half the England team to be made up from the two counties:

Manchester United vs Leeds United
Lancashire cricket vs Yorkshire cricket
Rugby "War of the Roses"

Reactions: Devonator

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Frost is an average skater? Hmmm.
Zamula has passive gap control and plays the game at a slow pace? Hmmm.
York is not creative and always takes straightforward options? Hmmm.
Cates is a bad skater? Hmmm.

Attard in the top 10?!

Yeh. I dont mind them ranking the Flyers mid-pack right now... but I really have some major issues with some of the assertions.

Reactions: BernieParent

TB87

May 30, 2018
Frost is an average skater? Hmmm.
Zamula has passive gap control and plays the game at a slow pace? Hmmm.
York is not creative and always takes straightforward options? Hmmm.
Cates is a bad skater? Hmmm.

Attard in the top 10?!

Yeh. I dont mind them ranking the Flyers mid-pack right now... but I really have some major issues with some of the assertions.

What games of Zamula did Mitch watch that had him coming away thinking: “This dude plays a passive gap in the neutral zone?” That is an exception to his normal attacking NZ defense mentality. That was an odd takeaway

TB87

May 30, 2018
Hearing ND is playing some Islanders-esque anti-hockey clog up the NZ nonsense this weekend vs Michigan. Glad I’m not home to watch those game lives. Oof

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I have been to Bosworth. Does that count for anything? My wife was born in Nottingham, and spent her teen years in Hastings, two more very historical places.

Reactions: Devonator

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I have been to Bosworth. Does that count for anything? My wife was born in Nottingham, and spent her teen years in Hastings, two more very historical places.

Nottingham is a really nice town. Spent a lot of time there in my late teens.

I have never been to Bosworth... though two weeks ago I was about 3 miles away from the battle site picking up the laptop I am typing on right now. :laugh: Only about 40 minutes away from me so will go once lockdown is over.

Reactions: IronMarshal

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I actually don't disagree with his assessment of York's play. I've made the same critique(s). He'll make the simple play every time, where sometimes he could benefit by holding on to pucks longer and waiting for the play to develop more. He's certainly skilled enough. He's just so wired to get pucks off his stick asap. It's a gift and a curse. It's part of why he's so consistent and I think his transition to the pro game will be pretty seamless. Coaches will love him, but he can leave you wanting more. I'm obviously biased but I wouldn't have quite the negative tone that Mitch has. I know he wasn't a big fan a York in his draft year and this is likely a carryover. I also don't think his defensive game gets talked about enough. Throw out the stereotypes. York is awesome defensively. Gaps, one-on-ones, odd man rushes, stick work, boadwork, shot blocking, retrievals. He is leaps and bounds better than Power in the DZ despite giving up all of that size. It's just really hard for me not to see him becoming a top 4 quality play driver who could possibly contribute to both special teams units (size be damned). He's just so well rounded.

As for Zamula's NZ defense I know Mitch has a huge CHL tracking project that he likely didn't grade out well in the sample, so it's probably a bit assumption based. I can't say I was ever alarmed by it, but I did notice that sometimes he would just stand flat footed at his own blueline and gamble for breakups - usually successfully given his reach. That doesn't make one a great NZ defender and there's no guarantee it'll work at the next level, but given his range and smarts, I think he'll figure it out. The skating is the thing I've also been most intrigued to see at the next level. He's so unique in that area.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapnZin and Magua

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Well I would have to assume that if you are a citizen of the Home nations, that you would have studied this amazing event during your history classes or something like that....here in Canada I had never heard of it until I was much older and decided to do my own reading on this subject....The UK certainly has many moments of incredible history......

Reactions: IronMarshal

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
York is not small if those workout pictures are for real, he's short, but that's not necessarily the same thing.
Guys with "fireplug" bodies who know how to use leverage can play well above their size using leverage.

NAK and Ghost are both 5'11, but no one thinks of them as the same size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad