Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. (Next chapter 2015-16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I would be surprised to see Hagg moved. He still has two and a half years of waiver-exemption left, so it makes more sense to leave him on the Phantoms and hope he develops than to trade him when his value has dropped.

These are the D prospects who can play in the AHL next season assuming Friedman goes back to college. Without Hagg it's pretty thin.

Morin
Sanheim
Hagg
Marti (having an even worse season than Hagg)
Pettersson (currently in the ECHL)
Willcox (if they sign him to a contract)

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/flyers

Yeah...no need to move Hagg unless he is part of a bigger package....like the Laughton and Hagg for Drouin dream.

I love that we are getting into a position of being able to package a few assets for ones with more upside.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Defensemen are also the best trade currency.

I would much rather just hold onto them until we see a few prove themselves at the big level. After that I would be all for making moves.

Hexy will follow the LA Kings way of putting together a competitive team I believe. When he feels the team has it's best shot to compete, he will make a move in the summer to try and complete the team. Not a deadline deal that over cost our assets. Make smart moves and draft well and your team will be looking at a bright future.

TonyAndrock

Oct 26, 2013
The Lehigh Valley Phantoms (23-23-2-1) host the Portland Pirates (26-18-1-0) tonight at 7:05 p.m. ET.

I'll be live from the PPL Center with all the latest in-game updates on Twitter -> @TonyAndrock. Also stay tuned online after the game for a full recap of the action complete with reaction from the locker room.

In the meantime, here's a full preview of tonight's Phantoms/Pirates game to read up on all the latest news, notes & stats.

http://highlandparkhockey.blogspot.com/2016/02/game-50-preview-portland-at-lehigh.html

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Button likes Myers' offense more than Morin's. Not an outrageous opinion, he's definitely more offensively inclined than Morin. In a vacuum I wouldn't blame someone for preferring Myers because he has the potential to be a better all-around defenseman, but for the the Flyers specifically, I think Morin is the more valuable player. Gostisbehere, Sanheim, and Provorov are likely going to carry the mail offensively in the future. Morin could be our Staal or Methot- underrated glue guy. Not to say Myers can't be that, but he's likely not going to be in a position to put up points.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I would much rather just hold onto them until we see a few prove themselves at the big level. After that I would be all for making moves.

Hexy will follow the LA Kings way of putting together a competitive team I believe. When he feels the team has it's best shot to compete, he will make a move in the summer to try and complete the team. Not a deadline deal that over cost our assets. Make smart moves and draft well and your team will be looking at a bright future.

I wouldn't trade any of them now but maybe in a couple of seasons. If Hextall wasn't willing to move Morin for Johansen as was rumored by John Boruk, then he isn't willing to move any of the top prospects either right now.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Button likes Myers' offense more than Morin's. Not an outrageous opinion, he's definitely more offensively inclined than Morin. In a vacuum I wouldn't blame someone for preferring Myers because he has the potential to be a better all-around defenseman, but for the the Flyers specifically, I think Morin is the more valuable player. Gostisbehere, Sanheim, and Provorov are likely going to carry the mail offensively in the future. Morin could be our Staal or Methot- underrated glue guy. Not to say Myers can't be that, but he's likely not going to be in a position to put up points.

So Provorov Myers
Morin Sanheim
Ghost-who cares

Too soon for that level of excitement?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I am glad that question was asked to Button. And makes sense.

But I still think Morin is going to a beast for us.

Man it feels nice hording all these good defensive prospects!!

Now this year at the draft, go add 2 top 6 forwards and I will 1 happy camper.

And just think, in 2 years, all these guys are going to be chomping to be on our team....and then Hextall will begin the next wave of dmen.

I hope Friedman doesn't start thinking of going elsewhere due to the strength of our prospects on D. I would hate for him to stay in college a few more years and then leave for nothing.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I wouldn't trade any of them now but maybe in a couple of seasons. If Hextall wasn't willing to move Morin for Johansen as was rumored by John Boruk, then he isn't willing to move any of the top prospects either right now.

I love that they are very high on Morin. He has potential to be the best of the group. Just really needs to come together. Keep these kids because if he doesn't hit his top potential you still get a guy who is under your control for 6/7 years. Easiest way to keep costs down is with homegrown talent until they hit their UFA years.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It would have to have been Morin+. Jones has significantly more value than Morin right now, and he was traded for Johansen straight up.

And I really doubt Boruk has an inside source into Hextall's trading plans. Ron runs a much tighter ship than that.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I am glad that question was asked to Button. And makes sense.

But I still think Morin is going to a beast for us.

Man it feels nice hording all these good defensive prospects!!

Now this year at the draft, go add 2 top 6 forwards and I will 1 happy camper.

And just think, in 2 years, all these guys are going to be chomping to be on our team....and then Hextall will begin the next wave of dmen.

I hope Friedman doesn't start thinking of going elsewhere due to the strength of our prospects on D. I would hate for him to stay in college a few more years and then leave for nothing.

I agree. Morin is my favorite of the D prospects.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Myers is going to be a pretty big guy when he grows up.
He's now listed at 6'5 209 at age 19 (turned Jan 25).
So it's not unreasonable that he can fill out to 220 lbs or so when he grows up. With speed, playmaking skills and a long reach.

It really doesn't matter whether Myers is better than Morin.
What matters is our scouts are doing a ridiculously good job at finding talent on the fringes, not just the top 100 players.

Madsen - 6th rd 2013
Lindblom - 5th rd 2014
Myers - undrafted 2015
And there are guys like Kase, Marody, etc.

What makes this exciting is a smart GM can pick up late round picks like party favors, because most teams don't value them. If you can consistently find one or two guys per draft who are top quality prospects with those picks, you can gain a sustainable competitive edge.
Fazleev - 6th rd 2014

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hagg is a healthy scratch again. I think it's time to start wondering what his future is.

On another note, just saw Mark Edwards someone else talking up Myers. Those freebies are so crucial.

Last edited:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
So Myers went undrafted? If we didn't sign him, he could've went back in the draft? Granted some value being loss due to age, but the Flyers scooped on him. Now we are sitting even better.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I was hoping to read some funny takes about Philippe Myers on twitter, but no one could spell his name right.

So Myers went undrafted? If we didn't sign him, he could've went back in the draft? Granted some value being loss due to age, but the Flyers scooped on him. Now we are sitting even better.
Yup. I'd like to say great scouting but they passed on him 9 times! :laugh:

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

You're still subjected to the draft for your 18/19 & 19/20 year old seasons if not signed before the year starts. NHL teams have a small window after the draft & up until camp to sign an undrafted CHL player. European trained players have no signing window after the draft. They head right back into the draft if not drafted originally.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I was hoping to read some funny takes about Philippe Myers on twitter, but no one could spell his name right.

Yup. I liked like to say great scouting but they passed on him 9 times! :laugh:

Hey, they ended up with him. Maybe they knew he was going to go undrafted (or risked it) and were able to load up on players and STILL add him.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Hey, they ended up with him. Maybe they knew he was going to go undrafted (or risked it) and were able to load up on players and STILL add him.

Hey I'm glad they got him but he could have just as easily signed with Calgary after attending their development camp. You need to be lucky in the scouting business too.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Isnt the AHL supposed to be for development?

Scratching Hagg over journeymen Dman makes no sense to me.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hagg is a healthy scratch again. I think it's time to start wondering what his future is.

On another note, just saw Mark Edwards someone else talking up Myers. Those freebies are so crucial.

I think his future is playing in the AHL for most if not all of his ELC. Like Alt has done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad