Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. (Next chapter 2015-16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Took this from the main board because responding there probably wouldn't yield anything positive.

Yeah, sort of funny that Sanheim dropped yet all he has done is:

Led WHL in D points
2nd in WHL in D playoff points
Now leads WHL in PPG

Maybe he just should not have been 14 last year tbh.

I am quite happy to have 4 guys in the 50 and then throw Morin and Ghost in our mix of kids. Quite happy.
Couple things that factor in.

1. Different player pool. The 2015 class was considered pretty strong, but only 3 players graduated to the NHL (btw I would have loved to see where Hanifin would have ranked). Three of the D "ahead" of Sanheim are from the 2015 class.

2. Button always talks about ranking in tiers. Sometimes the numbers can be interchangeable.

3. re: Morin- it is my belief Craig spends most of his time evaluating junior aged prospects for obvious reasons and he also provides content for the NHL. When does he have time to evaluate the AHL? That's not to say he hasn't soured on Morin, but Morrissey and Bowey also found their way off the list this year too- Morrissey was his top ranked D last year.

As for Sanheim don't have an issue with Provorov or Werenski ahead of him. Theodore is a similar player and a year ahead in development- OK. Reilly is a real head scratcher. He's a decent prospect. He runs a nice powerplay, but he's 3+ years older than most of the guys on the list. At his age he would have to be dominating for me to place him that high on a list like this. I would be shocked if Sanheim only has 5 NHL games under his belt by the time he is 22/23. Larsson is odd too. I haven't seen a ton of him so maybe someone can fill me in, but even Ducks fans sounded surprised by his placement.

But it's nice to see Myers get some love. Hopefully DFF doesn't check out this thread.

Didn't really answer the question but didn't back down on the Myers > Chabot

Those are the only tweets he really responded to so far.

Bridgeman

Mar 1, 2013
Tampa FL
Took this from the main board because responding there probably wouldn't yield anything positive.

Couple things that factor in.

1. Different player pool. The 2015 class was considered pretty strong, but only 3 players graduated to the NHL (btw I would have loved to see where Hanifin would have ranked). Three of the D "ahead" of Sanheim are from the 2015 class.

2. Button always talks about ranking in tiers. Sometimes the numbers can be interchangeable.

3. re: Morin- it is my belief Craig spends most of his time evaluating junior aged prospects for obvious reasons and he also provides content for the NHL. When does he have time to evaluate the AHL? That's not to say he hasn't soured on Morin, but Morrissey and Bowey also found their way off the list this year too- Morrissey was his top ranked D last year.

As for Sanheim don't have an issue with Provorov or Werenski ahead of him. Theodore is a similar player and a year ahead in development- OK. Reilly is a real head scratcher. He's a decent prospect. He runs a nice powerplay, but he's 3+ years older than most of the guys on the list. At his age he would have to be dominating for me to place him that high on a list like this. I would be shocked if Sanheim only has 5 NHL games under his belt by the time he is 22/23. Larsson is odd too. I haven't seen a ton of him so maybe someone can fill me in, but even Ducks fans sounded surprised by his placement.

But it's nice to see Myers get some love. Hopefully DFF doesn't check out this thread.

Didn't really answer the question but didn't back down on the Myers > Chabot

Those are the only tweets he really responded to so far.

Button would have had Hanifin at 50 lol...all he did was downgrade Hanifin for a year....Button is a clown and all of his list are garbage ....including this one!

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Button would have had Hanifin at 50 lol...all he did was downgrade Hanifin for a year....Button is a clown and all of his list are garbage ....including this one!

Going by your past posts, your a Hanifin superfan. Not surprised by this comment :laugh:

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Sanheim is way too low, there's a handful of players ahead of him on that list that i wouldn't even consider taking instead.

Also, excited to see Myers on the list, but no way is he a better prospect than Morin.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Thanks Flyguy for your thoughts. All make sense.

It would be interesting to ask that question to Button and see his response. How knows, he may say that he expected more out of Sanheim at the WJC.

Buy I am with everyone else, I would not trade Morin for Myers.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, Morin is two years ahead of Myers, and struggled the first half in the AHL. Button is right, forget what Myers did in the past (look at Sanheim the year before he was drafted), it's how he's progressing that matters, and he's an elite defensemen in juniors the year after he was drafted (i.e. not an overage star).

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yeah, Reilly is a weird one.

As well as Morin and Morrissey, Pulock and Mueller are also not on the list, although maybe Mueller's 49 NHL games means Button doesn't consider him a prospect. Very little love for 2013 dmen playing in the AHL.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/draft.php?year=2013
Button was never a fan of Mueller. Had him in the 40s during his draft year. Wasn't particularly high on Pulock either.

Thanks Flyguy for your thoughts. All make sense.

It would be interesting to ask that question to Button and see his response. How knows, he may say that he expected more out of Sanheim at the WJC.

Buy I am with everyone else, I would not trade Morin for Myers.
Doubt it. He always talks about not making judgments based on a small sample of games.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Well, Morin is two years ahead of Myers, and struggled the first half in the AHL. Button is right, forget what Myers did in the past (look at Sanheim the year before he was drafted), it's how he's progressing that matters, and he's an elite defensemen in juniors the year after he was drafted (i.e. not an overage star).

Oh I agree that you have to look at Myers progression. But I do think that next year will be important to show that this year was not a fluke. I love the idea that we may have gotten a steal in him

Morin had that progression in Jr. and is now progressing in the AHL if what people are saying is true(those who watch him). And I love that he brings a physical...no mean element that compliments the others D's skill.

All we need is for Hagg to snap out of his flatline/regression.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Button prefers the new and shiny prospects over the ones taking the long road

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
As a flyers fan all I want is one of Hagg Myers Freidman to hold down a 3rd pairing or be a complimentary piece to one of the big 4.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
If anything it just adds to the array of pieces Hextall has at his disposal. The more assets you have the more you can tweak.

I mean he has 4-5 Solid to Great D-Prospects:
Sanheim
Provorov
Morin
Hagg
Alt
Myers

No, they all won't be first pairing, but they are all doing well (sans Hagg), still makes for a piece in a trade if necessary.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
If anything it just adds to the array of pieces Hextall has at his disposal. The more assets you have the more you can tweak.

I mean he has 4-5 Solid to Great D-Prospects:
Sanheim
Provorov
Morin
Hagg
Alt
Myers

No, they all won't be first pairing, but they are all doing well (sans Hagg), still makes for a piece in a trade if necessary.

Friedman

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I remember when we were all pumped and waiting to see what Reese Willcox would turn into...now he's an afterthought with these prospects.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013

I knew I forgot somebody.

That's a pretty solid group of either players to have or players to trade. Remember when we couldn't make deals because we either had Giroux and junk?

Sometimes you need middle players to help a trade. Elite prospects are hard to move and so are completely junk prospects.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Reece Wilcox doesn't carry 1/10 the hype that our big 4 have earned.

Sheeit, at this point, Sanheim could become a #4, Morin a bottom pairing guy, Hagg bust, Myers bust, Friedman bust, and lets say Provorov makes it as a top 2 guy. We'd still have:

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-MDZ
Morin-xxx

That still looks better than our current D

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Oh I agree that you have to look at Myers progression. But I do think that next year will be important to show that this year was not a fluke. I love the idea that we may have gotten a steal in him

Morin had that progression in Jr. and is now progressing in the AHL if what people are saying is true(those who watch him). And I love that he brings a physical...no mean element that compliments the others D's skill.

All we need is for Hagg to snap out of his flatline/regression.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him get traded in a multi-player deal. He's getting passed on the depth chart.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I would be surprised to see Hagg moved. He still has two and a half years of waiver-exemption left, so it makes more sense to leave him on the Phantoms and hope he develops than to trade him when his value has dropped.

These are the D prospects who can play in the AHL next season assuming Friedman goes back to college. Without Hagg it's pretty thin.

Morin
Sanheim
Hagg
Marti (having an even worse season than Hagg)
Pettersson (currently in the ECHL)
Willcox (if they sign him to a contract)

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/flyers

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Wow, that's strong words by one of, if not, the best scout the public actually has access to.

All excellent news on his front. Let's just hope he continues to progress and we have a couple of stud bigger dman in Morin and Myers. Flyers really could turn this ship around in 2-3 years with their defense. Never can have too many.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
All excellent news on his front. Let's just hope he continues to progress and we have a couple of stud bigger dman in Morin and Myers. Flyers really could turn this ship around in 2-3 years with their defense. Never can have too many.

Defensemen are also the best trade currency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad